Dunphy -a decent guy

Started by longrunsthefox, January 30, 2009, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Declan on January 30, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
QuoteEven by the normal low standards of the average Premiership player this takes a bit of beating.

I'd have thought the average Premiership player is sound enough and that it's a minority that have low standards. Whatever his motivation or what you think about Eamo I say fair play to him.
I agree - I don't make a fraction of his wage but I don't have a f**king chip on my shoulder about it either! In this case certain individuals are focusing on the personality rather than the deed.

Minder

Fair fcuks to Dunphy, it may be a "look at me" gesture but will be interesting to see how many follow suit. As for his salary, would anyone here refuse it or would they class it as obscene? There isnt much difference in some of the vitriol towards Dunphy on here i would think than if he had of refused to take the cut so it makes no odds what he does in some peoples eyes.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mackers

Although I don't agree with everything that Dunphy says I would say that he has principles and i think he did this in good faith.
I heard it was Richard Dunne who complained/refused about going to the children's hospital, although I read one of Humphries' books and he had a good cut at Carr and left me with the impression he was an a**hole also.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mackers on January 30, 2009, 01:37:56 PM
Although I don't agree with everything that Dunphy says I would say that he has principles and i think he did this in good faith.
I heard it was Richard Dunne who complained/refused about going to the children's hospital, although I read one of Humphries' books and he had a good cut at Carr and left me with the impression he was an a**hole also.
Both Dubs - brought to you with no further comment  ;)

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2009, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: mackers on January 30, 2009, 01:37:56 PM
Both Dubs - brought to you with no further comment  ;)

I remember reading that it was Dunne too.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stpauls

Dear Lord, i don't give a shite that it is Eamon Dunphy, if it was anyone else i would say the same thing. taking a pay cut from a wage that is already grossly undue, because they are taking a stand for the common man is bull shit!! they don't give a damn about them!!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: stpauls on January 30, 2009, 01:44:27 PM
Dear Lord, i don't give a shite that it is Eamon Dunphy, if it was anyone else i would say the same thing. taking a pay cut from a wage that is already grossly undue, because they are taking a stand for the common man is bull shit!! they don't give a damn about them!!
how do you know they, whoever 'they' are don't give a damn about the common man?. Some chip on that shoulder St Pauls  about people who make big money...some are decent skins believe it or not.   

its me again

the way i see it is Dunphy didn't need to take a pay cut however signicant or insignificant it is compared to what he still earns in a year.

i know if someone was given the push in the company i work in there would not be too many offering 10 % of their wages (prob myself included)

i believe Dunphy is showing that he is not above the ordinary man in the street and that he actually cares about the people who watch or listen too him, he should be commended for this gesture

i cant see too many more following suit

Tony Baloney

how would you know if i would or not, you know f**k all about me!! wind your neck in! some of us work damn hard for a living, getting paid a lot less than 10% of what he is taking home, even after his so call pay cut. i wouldn't care if he refused, but some one coming on here glorifying a man who takes a cut from a wage that is already totally unjustifiable (sp), now that annoys me!!
Apply that thinking to Dunphy. Not unless you are big pals.

Rav67

Can't believe your attitude to the magnanimous gesture st.pauls, would you ever take a 10% pay cut in these circumstances?  I know I wouldn't.

stpauls

Quote from: Rav67 on January 30, 2009, 02:06:56 PM
Can't believe your attitude to the magnanimous gesture st.pauls, would you ever take a 10% pay cut in these circumstances?  I know I wouldn't.

no, i wouldn't because i am already underpaid for what i do, and could not afford to. where as someone in his situation is grossly overpaid for what he does and could easily afford to live on €288,000.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2009, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2009, 01:01:23 PM
Quote from: drici on January 30, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 30, 2009, 11:37:39 AM
Well, we're agreed on that anyway! There was a Republic of Ireland player a few years ago (can't remember which) who was annoyed that Brain Kerr made them visit childrens hospitals. God love him 

Who is the one that Tom Humphries writes about sometimes who tore up a wad of money in front of impoverished children in an eastern European country?

Albania wasn't it? And he was setting fire to it in front of them, as I recall.
Is anyone going to have the nuts to name this clown or even drop a few unsubtle hints?

Even by the normal low standards of the average Premiership player this takes a bit of beating.

I wouldn't unless you're absolutely sure. For instance, Stephen Carr has been speculatively named here, but I have been told a different name completely. People's reputations are important.

But I agree - this story, when I heard it a few years ago, helped to make me even less interested in the doings of the Irish soccer team than I already was.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: thejuice on January 30, 2009, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 30, 2009, 01:01:23 PM
Quote from: drici on January 30, 2009, 11:43:14 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 30, 2009, 11:37:39 AM
Well, we're agreed on that anyway! There was a Republic of Ireland player a few years ago (can't remember which) who was annoyed that Brain Kerr made them visit childrens hospitals. God love him 

Who is the one that Tom Humphries writes about sometimes who tore up a wad of money in front of impoverished children in an eastern European country?

Albania wasn't it? And he was setting fire to it in front of them, as I recall.

f**k sake, what a ****, I'm even less inclined to watch that shower of shit-heads kick a ball about after reading that.

So one players actions makes them all a shower of shit heads  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2009, 01:08:23 PM
Is anyone going to have the nuts to name this clown or even drop a few unsubtle hints?

Even by the normal low standards of the average Premiership player this takes a bit of beating.

Aye they all play soccer so they must be all of a low standard when it comes to their morals  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Longshanks

Quote from: stpauls on January 30, 2009, 02:29:21 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 30, 2009, 02:06:56 PM

no, i wouldn't because i am already underpaid for what i do, and could not afford to. where as someone in his situation is grossly overpaid for what he does and could easily afford to live on €288,000.

What would you expect him to do then StPauls??? what would make it a good deed in your eyes? I take it you have a problem with every footballer then and the amount they make...