Presbyterian Mutual Society asks for help!!!!

Started by Jimmy Joe, January 30, 2009, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Roger your living in a different world if you dont think this is a discrimination case.

They discriminated against which money they would take as an investor so we now should have the right to do the same back as tax payers.

Also instead of offending the Presby this goverment is doing all it can to keep them onside, they should be saying private money private problem and leave the tax payers money to fund schools or hospitals which it is intended to do.

Roger

Quote from: tyronefan on June 03, 2009, 04:02:00 PM
I would say that the PMS made it a religious discrimination issue when they refused to let other religions deposit money
Any decision to support the collapsed PMS is not a religious discrimination issue. As I said there is some merit in their argument that HMGs completely unprecedented actions adversely affected them (and other investment clubs) and therefore damaged the level playing field that should have been expected and that responsible government should promote not destroy.

Roger

Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2009, 04:09:21 PM
Roger your living in a different world if you dont think this is a discrimination case.
It is a private members' investment club. I suppose every religious organisation is discriminatory so fair point, however I quoted the bit about future support for the PMS by government, not about the club entry criteria.
QuoteAlso instead of offending the Presby this goverment is doing all it can to keep them onside, they should be saying private money private problem and leave the tax payers money to fund schools or hospitals which it is intended to do.
I tend to agree however societies wrecked by unprecedented government actions in the financial sector have a case which would include any private investment club regardless of their membership criteria. The difficulty is how to value how much HMG contributed to the collapse or how much PMS did so themselves ie by having a risky liquidity situation and a balance sheet which relied far too heavily on estimated valuations of future property sales.

NAG1

So even though you not and me not being able to gain any benefit from the organisation during the good times means we should bail it out in the bad when it was clearly their own fault for over stretching themselves.

T Fearon

Don't members of the Presbyterian cult claim to be bible believers? Does it not say in the Bible to worry not, the Lord will provide? Therefore waht are they moaning about?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 30, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
Sure the Pressers have a big building in Belfast City Centre on Great Victoria Street, sell it and all the financial woes would be solved in one fell swoop!

http://www.spiresbelfast.co.uk

Reading this for the first time and I simply could not believe this post from you GDA.

EC Unique

Quote from: Roger on June 03, 2009, 04:21:47 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 03, 2009, 04:02:00 PM
I would say that the PMS made it a religious discrimination issue when they refused to let other religions deposit money
Any decision to support the collapsed PMS is not a religious discrimination issue. As I said there is some merit in their argument that HMGs completely unprecedented actions adversely affected them (and other investment clubs) and therefore damaged the level playing field that should have been expected and that responsible government should promote not destroy.

Hey Roger,  I own a property that I bought as an investment and it is rented out. It is now worth about 70 % of what I paid for it as a result of the property crash. Should I recieve assistance?

Maguire01

Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2009, 03:00:20 PM
Yet again we see the colour of this stormont assembly and lack of bottle to stand up to a soceity who rejected the majority of the rest of the community.
Read the article again - Stormont is being bypassed on this one.

Roger

Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2009, 04:50:20 PM
So even though you not and me not being able to gain any benefit from the organisation during the good times means we should bail it out in the bad when it was clearly their own fault for over stretching themselves.
There are plenty of cases where I am not eligible for public assistance so it isn't the issue.  I'm not for bailing the PMS out due to it being a private investment club and they made investment decisions which were effectively a gamble that didn't pay off.  Where I have some sympathy is that because HMG took actions in the financial system they contributed to collapse of this society's fund in an unfair manner that the PMS could not have predicted.  Therefore some compensatory payment could be due.  That said, this would set a dangerous precedent and open the flood gates to other societies and credit unions potentially claiming which I don't think the country can afford to go down that route however right it might be to do so.

I don't see any bailout for PMS as being fueled by any religious favouritism by the state towards Presbyterianism though.

Roger

Quote from: EC Unique on June 03, 2009, 05:24:46 PM
Hey Roger,  I own a property that I bought as an investment and it is rented out. It is now worth about 70 % of what I paid for it as a result of the property crash. Should I recieve assistance?
No, the money should be given to me.

Maguire01

stew

Some of the gloating going on here is really disgusting and should be beneath some of you.

So what if a Church wants to do business strictly with its own members? why would anyone else give a shite. This is not sectarian it is called fraternalism and the Presbyterians are entitled to do it under the law so fair fecks to them.

That said, they should not receive one penny in bailout, sorry MW but I just lost $124.500 in my house and over 90k in the holiday home in florida and nobody is sending me any bailout money.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on June 03, 2009, 09:13:54 PM
Some of the gloating going on here is really disgusting and should be beneath some of you.

So what if a Church wants to do business strictly with its own members? why would anyone else give a shite. This is not sectarian it is called fraternalism and the Presbyterians are entitled to do it under the law so fair fecks to them.

That said, they should not receive one penny in bailout, sorry MW but I just lost $124.500 in my house and over 90k in the holiday home in florida and nobody is sending me any bailout money.
Have to agree with that.

Main Street

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 02, 2009, 09:49:40 PM
According to Will Crawley of BBC the Moderator is now blaming the Devil!  ::)

"Last night, the new Presbyterian Moderator, Dr Stafford Carson, pictured, told a packed opening session of his church's General Assembly that the Presbyterian Mutual Society crisis was a satanic attack on the unity of their church."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/06/pms_crisis_is_a_satanic_attack.html
That's a good one.
If the PMS took action to sue Satan for compensation in the courts, Satan could  counter quite effectively with a "what do they expect, they sold their soul to Satan" defense.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on June 04, 2009, 12:17:16 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on June 02, 2009, 09:49:40 PM
According to Will Crawley of BBC the Moderator is now blaming the Devil!  ::)

"Last night, the new Presbyterian Moderator, Dr Stafford Carson, pictured, told a packed opening session of his church's General Assembly that the Presbyterian Mutual Society crisis was a satanic attack on the unity of their church."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2009/06/pms_crisis_is_a_satanic_attack.html
That's a good one.
If the PMS took action to sue Satan for compensation in the courts, Satan could  counter quite effectively with a "what do they expect, they sold their soul to Satan" defense.
I heard on Radio Ulster that one of the ministers was giving out about those who were taking legal action against the PMS or the Church, because "Christians don't sue Christiams" apparently.