what sport is the Art of striking a dead ball between 2 Posts the most difficult

Started by Maroon Heaven, January 29, 2009, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Anyone that says hurling is the easiest probably hasnt played it. One thing about American football is the ball is snapped to you with people trying to block it. In Rugby,football and hurling you are doing it at your own pace.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Watcher Pat

I dont play hurling myself..Can hit it over 50 yrds alright but just wouldnt be too confident on what direction it would go.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

SidelineKick

It's not as if you get tackled or anything while hittin it in hurling from a free.  I have struck a ball manys a time in that fashion and I find it easier.  Nobody can argue with the fact that I find it easier.

EDIT: by that reasoning you would have to have kicked an american football after the snap, a rugby ball from a tee and a football from the ground. Has anyone done all of the above?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Minder

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 29, 2009, 06:37:12 PM
It's not as if you get tackled or anything while hittin it in hurling from a free.  I have struck a ball manys a time in that fashion and I find it easier.  Nobody can argue with the fact that I find it easier.
what sport mentioned in the thread do you get tackled hitting a free?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 29, 2009, 06:24:48 PM
I don't play hurling.

I have struck a ball manys a time in that fashion and I find it easier.  Nobody can argue with the fact that I find it easier.

Which is it  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Watcher Pat

No one is arguing that you don't find it easier..Your the only one that knows that...I dont find it easier though!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Maroon Heaven

Have played Hurling, Gaelic and Rugby and would find kicking an oval ball from the touchline much more difficult then a sliotar. Much bigger scoring area, less impact of Ball weight and a hurl is able to produce greater speed on the Sliotar which makes time in air less....

Not saying there is much difference in the Gaelic round ball but sweet spot is smaller in an oval Ball...

In relation to American Football, It sometimes amazes me that they do not hit longer distances with it. They don't kick from sideline. Yes it is lighter, yes you have a line of defense running at you and ball may be moving, but the art of kicking a Rugby is much more difficult.

SidelineKick

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 29, 2009, 06:38:55 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on January 29, 2009, 06:24:48 PM
I don't play hurling.

I have struck a ball manys a time in that fashion and I find it easier.  Nobody can argue with the fact that I find it easier.

Which is it  ???

I don't play per se, I have a hurley in the house like most.  Would take it up to the pitch from time to time. People have baseball bats that doesnt mean they play baseball.  Stop being petty.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on January 29, 2009, 06:48:32 PM
Have played Hurling, Gaelic and Rugby and would find kicking an oval ball from the touchline much more difficult then a sliotar.

I would tend to agree to be honest. I'm well able to knock a sliotar between the posts from most distances. I wouldn't fancy trying to kick a rugby ball between the posts from the sideline.

At least not without a load of practice.

muppet

I think we should conduct an experiment to settle this very important issue.

We need one american football, a gaelic football, a rugby ball, a sliotar and a hurley.

We need one set of goalposts and a bit of pitch.

And we need an adult chimpanzee.

We will conduct 4 experiments:

We will determine how long (if at all) it takes to teach the chimpanzee to kick an american football between the posts;

We will determine how long (if at all) it takes to teach the chimpanzee to kick a gaelic football between the posts;

We will determine how long (if at all) it takes to teach the chimpanzee to kick a rugby ball between the posts;

We will determine how long (if at all) it takes to teach the chimpanzee to hit a sliotar with a hurley between the posts;

As a result we will be able to determine the relative difficulty of each task. Now who will get the chimp?
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Maroon Heaven

Bord na Mona man

In hurling it is not massively to difficult to strike the ball accurately once you have mastered the basics.
What it is your favour is that you are hitting the sliotar with a flat surface area, so you should at least get a predictable outcome if you time the striking action correctly.

With the football it is more difficult because you are striking the ball with an uneven area - i.e. your boot, so you have a smaller sweet spot.

Also, other things to factor in.
You hands are by nature more dexterous than your feet, so it is easier to develop hand to eye co-ordination.
Your feet are further away from your brain, so it takes them that bit longer to react to brain signals.
Your legs are heavier also, so don't always adjust as quickly.

On the field of play, most hurlers who are capable of striking the ball up to 100 metres will expect to score at 65 metres range, if they are unmarked and in calm weather conditions.

The footballer who can kick the ball a distance 60 metres will probably struggle to regularly score points from 40 metres.