The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Credit crunch delays new Kop

Sunday, 5 October 2008 10:56

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry today insisted the club's new stadium will still be built - but only after the current financial turmoil stabilises.

Parry also made it clear that the club's opposition to ground sharing with Everton has not changed.

And he revealed that attempts to buy the club have 'gone very quiet'.

Work on the Stanley Park project has come to a halt following a decision to delay the building, maybe for a year, because of the credit squeeze.

Parry told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek: 'Ground share is not being considered. With the financial markets in the turmoil as they are, any major construction project at this time is difficult, it is risky.

'It is a case of a delay while things settle down, it is still a very, very good long term project. The economics of it still make underlying sense.

'I do not see any change in direction or any change in plans, and ground share is not back on the agenda.

'The point is, at this moment it is not the most sensible time to be borrowing huge amounts of money with the markets in turmoil. That will settle down and availability of money will increase.

'The project makes long term sense, it is the supply of money that is an issue, that will correct itself in time.'

The ownership of the club is also unlikely to change at present, said Parry.

He said: 'It has gone quiet and everyone is delighted. The focus at Liverpool should only ever be on football.

'All is relatively stable, I am not aware of anything that is happening regarding the sale of the club at this moment. My focus is on day-to-day things and making sure we deliver.

'I am not sure of anything going on, it is a question best directed to the owners. As far as I am concerned we are focusing on things that we can control.

'We are trying to do the very best to produce a team that performs on the pitch.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1005/liverpool.html

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Mentalman

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on October 05, 2008, 12:38:27 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 05, 2008, 12:31:33 PM
This will put pressure on Rafa now to play Agger imo.  Can see him getting an extended run in the team before christmas, but who makes way? left back seems to be the only position available at the moment despite my thoughts on Arbeloa,who in fairness has done well in the last few outings. 
Any team news for today?

Skertel makes way for Agger....Better player....Agger's a better all round footballer than Carragher as well but i think Carragher is a better defensive wise...And i'm a gooner so keep on Skertel and carragher

Medium term Agger & Skrtel would be the planned centre-half pairing, offering good balance in my opinion. Best thing for the club to do now would be to get Agger signed on for another 4 years immediately. I mean with Real sniffing who's to say he will sign a contract even if he is given an extended run in the side and does well? I can't see Benitez changing the back pairing just to accomodate Agger, given the absolute faith he has placed in Carragher over the years. Add to that Skrtel's impressive start to the season. The only way to accommodate all 3 would be to push Carragher to right back, which he doesn't have the engine for anymore. In any event that would mean paying your 3 centre back options in most games, not clever with a long season ahead.

Mentalman

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 05, 2008, 12:31:33 PM
Any team news for today?

None yet. BBC reporting Javier Mascherano may return for Liverpool after being rested for the midweek win over PSV Eindhoven &
Ryan Babel and Fernando Torres picked up minor knocks against the Dutch side but both are expected to be fit, but that is just space filing conjecture I reckon.

The Real Laoislad

I don't think he will drop either Skertel or Carra just to suit one player why would he ??? The centre backs are playing well together at the moment,If Agger goes next year then he goes I don't think it be right just to play him because we might lose him in 18 months..
Anyways it might not just be Agger going in 18months,Rafa has only 18 months left on his contract and no sign of a new contract being offered
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 05, 2008, 12:51:37 PM
I don't think he will drop either Skertel or Carra just to suit one player why would he ??? The centre backs are playing well together at the moment,If Agger goes next year then he goes I don't think it be right just to play him because we might lose him in 18 months..
Anyways it might not just be Agger going in 18months,Rafa has only 18 months left on his contract and no sign of a new contract being offered

Maybe because Agger's a better footballer...IMO
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Carmen Stateside

Agger is a top class defender who has been unlucky with injury.  Had he stayed injury free he would be a regular by now! Think it would be crazy to let him go.
Fancy a few goals for both teams today!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on October 05, 2008, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 05, 2008, 12:51:37 PM

Maybe because Agger's a better footballer...IMO

Yeah but if its not broken don't fix it IMO...
Agree it would be a shame to lose Agger and I also think he is a better player than Skertel,but players come and go and someone else would come in to fill his boots.
I certainly wouldnt be dropping Carra for either of them though
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

bingobus

Mash in, Keane out. I suppose Gerrard wil play last years roll.

Hope we have a go at city, as I think they will concede and are taleented but lightweight in Midfield.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mentalman

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Dunne, Richards, Garrido, Wright-Phillips, Ireland, Kompany, Elano, Robinho, Jo.
Subs: Schmeichel, Petrov, Fernandes, Hamann, Evans, Ben-Haim, Sturridge.

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Alonso, Riera, Torres.
Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Agger, Keane, Benayoun, Babel, Leiva Lucas.

Referee: Peter Walton (Northamptonshire).

Interesting lineup - pack midfield, but with the option of pushing Kuyt up and Gerrard wide if the game has to be chased.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gawa316

Quote from: gawa316 on October 02, 2008, 12:18:40 PM

Definitely think Masch will need to start this game to limit the threat of Robinho and Elano.

My team for Sunday

Reina
Arbeloa, Carra, Skrtel, Aurelio
            Masch, Alonso
Kuyt          Gerrard     Riera
                Torres

Find it hard to leave Keane out but rafa will never drop kuyt. Babel to come on with 20 left and run them ragged

I've only gone and predicted Rafa's line up. That's a first (and probably a last!)

gawa316

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.