The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Rafa wants Spanish Villa with Pool

Rafael Benitez reportedly wants to pair David Villa with Fernando Torres in Liverpool's attack - but has been warned he won't come cheap.

Villa combined with Torres to devastating effect with a hat-trick in Spain's 4-1 demolition of Russia in their opening Euro 2008 fixture on Tuesday.
And Reds boss Benitez is keen to see the pair wreak similar havoc on Premier League defences next season.
Torres took to England's top flight like a fish to water after moving from Atletico Madrid for £27million last summer - and Valencia director Juan Sanchez admits Villa's price tag will rise with every goal he scores at Euro 2008.
Villa looks destined to leave Los Che this summer, as the Primera Liga side's financial worries dictate that they will be required to reluctantly part with their biggest assets.
Villa certainly tops the list in the Mestalla sale and new Valencia boss Unai Emery can expect a busy close season as he sets about reshuffling his pack.
His star striker is valued in the region of around £17million, but that figure could rocket if he continues his electric form in Austria and Switzerland.
Villa's current employers are prepared to sit out a bidding war, with Sanchez revealing that the club will bide their time before deciding on the player's worth.
"He has a contract and is having a great Euro," the Spanish director said in The Sun. "We are calm and we hope he will continue to score many goals. You never know what will happen if we get offers.
"It's not a question of putting a price on him.
"What will come in the future will be assessed then."
Chelsea and Barcelona have also been linked with Villa, but it remains to be seen whether the Blues' interest will continue following the announcement that Luiz Felipe Scolari is set to become their new boss.
However, despite the growing speculation surrounding his future, the talented forward is refusing to be drawn on the issue until after Euro 2008.
"I'm not going to speak about my future until after the Championships," he insisted.

stiffler

Starting defence for next season:

LB- Andrea Dossena
CB- Dan Agger
CB- Carragher
RB- Arbeola

Second string defence:

LB- Aurelio/Insua
CB- Hyppia/San Jose
CB- Skrtl/Hobbs
RB- Finnan/Degn

Riise has been linked with a £5mil deal to Roma, fingers crossed this goes through.

I think Carragher and Agger compliment each others style of play well, and  formed a good solid partnership the year before last. Dossena is reported to be a quality full back, although i havnt seen much of him and the deal isnt 100% complete, i reckon he will still be better than what we currently have.

It hasnt been a lack of a solid defence that has put us out of the title race for the last few years, its been creativity from midfield and the wings.

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stevo-08

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on June 12, 2008, 09:52:10 AM
Rafa wants Spanish Villa with Pool

Rafael Benitez reportedly wants to pair David Villa with Fernando Torres in Liverpool's attack - but has been warned he won't come cheap.

Villa combined with Torres to devastating effect with a hat-trick in Spain's 4-1 demolition of Russia in their opening Euro 2008 fixture on Tuesday.
And Reds boss Benitez is keen to see the pair wreak similar havoc on Premier League defences next season.
Torres took to England's top flight like a fish to water after moving from Atletico Madrid for £27million last summer - and Valencia director Juan Sanchez admits Villa's price tag will rise with every goal he scores at Euro 2008.
Villa looks destined to leave Los Che this summer, as the Primera Liga side's financial worries dictate that they will be required to reluctantly part with their biggest assets.
Villa certainly tops the list in the Mestalla sale and new Valencia boss Unai Emery can expect a busy close season as he sets about reshuffling his pack.
His star striker is valued in the region of around £17million, but that figure could rocket if he continues his electric form in Austria and Switzerland.
Villa's current employers are prepared to sit out a bidding war, with Sanchez revealing that the club will bide their time before deciding on the player's worth.
"He has a contract and is having a great Euro," the Spanish director said in The Sun. "We are calm and we hope he will continue to score many goals. You never know what will happen if we get offers.
"It's not a question of putting a price on him.
"What will come in the future will be assessed then."
Chelsea and Barcelona have also been linked with Villa, but it remains to be seen whether the Blues' interest will continue following the announcement that Luiz Felipe Scolari is set to become their new boss.
However, despite the growing speculation surrounding his future, the talented forward is refusing to be drawn on the issue until after Euro 2008.
"I'm not going to speak about my future until after the Championships," he insisted.

yea, I read that report earlier. Just more rubbish to make headlines in my opinion. Not one quote from Rafa in the whole article, says it all for me. And yet the Headline says "Rafa want spanish villa with pool".  ::)

corn02

What paper is it from?

My back four would be the same as Stifflers. But if Skert; continue his, in my eyes,  very good progress. I could live with Carra at RB.

stevo-08

Quote from: corn02 on June 12, 2008, 10:26:49 AM
What paper is it from?

My back four would be the same as Stifflers. But if Skert; continue his, in my eyes,  very good progress. I could live with Carra at RB.

Not sure if it was in any paper but I read it on teamtalk.com. Is that where you got it from el cuervo?

I would honestly love to see skrtel & agger playing in the middle. Both are strong & have pace. Skrtel with his no-nonsense approach & Agger capable of bringing the ball forward with purpose. Could be a great partnership. Cant see it happenning for a while though (Skrtel still adapting to PL & Agger hasnt played for most of last season).

All Liverpool fans worship carragher but if we're really honest, the above pairing will be the future centre back partnership. Sure even without a fully fit Agger, Carragher was moved out from the centre for some key games last season. And if Dossena comes good at left back, then I'd have to play Arbeloa on the right.

gawa316

Quote from: corn02 on June 12, 2008, 10:26:49 AM
What paper is it from?

The only way I'd be happy with that is if Dossena plays well up the field so Carra can tuck in and make a 3 at the back. Carra offers very little going forward at rb, and I think it is a sin to play one of the best centre backs in Europe at rb

corn02

Carragher is a class above Skertl and Agger, the only reason  he may be moved to RB is because he is good enough to play there.

stiffler

From skysports.com:

Aston Villa have turned down Liverpool's latest bid to sign midfielder Gareth Barry.

Barry has emerged as Liverpool's leading transfer target of the summer, and have already had one bid rejected by their Premier League rivals.

However, Villa have confirmed that The Reds stepped up their interest on Wednesday evening only to have their second approach rebuffed once more.

A Villa spokesman said on the club's official website: "The offer was a slight improvement on a previous bid but our position on the issue remains unchanged and Liverpool have been informed."

The latest offer is reportedly in the region of £15million, but rumours claim Villa boss Martin O'Neill is holding out for a fee of £20million.

Time to move onto other targets if these rumours are true!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Minder

If we pay £20 million for Barry it is time to pack up the tents and go home.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

bingobus

20m is too much for a 28 year old. I could live with 13-15m but not 20m for a central midfielder who is prob in the same bracket as the players we have there already.

Call Villa's bluff and move on. Its no wonder teams go to Europe for players, English players are massively overpriced.

corn02

Put it l;ike this, it is just £5 less than David Villa's price tag.

Uladh

Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM
Call Villa's bluff and move on.

I think you are forgetting that villa do not want to sell and will only do so if they can get extortionate money for him, no matter how much he cries about it. they'll get him for £16/17m

Minder

Quote from: Uladh on June 12, 2008, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: bingobus on June 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM
Call Villa's bluff and move on.

I think you are forgetting that villa do not want to sell and will only do so if they can get extortionate money for him, no matter how much he cries about it. they'll get him for £16/17m

Perhaps Villa will let him "sit in the stands" rather than sell him Uladh.....
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on June 12, 2008, 11:33:44 AM
Put it l;ike this, it is just £5 less than David Villa's price tag.

Be better off keeping Alonso and spending the money on Villa.