The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

OMG what was Rafa thinking...

A complete defensive shambles, Dudek didn't help matters in fact he prob made them worse. And instead of bringing on the Freak Rafa throws on Carragher at a time when Liverpool needed goals!

As a UTD fan I dnt think I'll say much more  :D :D

Great Leap Forward

There seems to be a repeat of the Houllier situation happening at Liverpool where a few trophies early in their reign masks a lack of knowledge of the English game and a raft of inadequate signings.

I felt he showed an apathy toward the League Cup last night that he couldn't afford to do as it presented Liverpool with their most realistic chance of winning a trophy. He has been a lucky manager so far. If it wasn't for a once in a lifetime comeback against Milan and a wonder goal from Gerrard his job would be under severe pressure.

brokencrossbar1

I have consistently backed Rafa and have rarely if ever be known to go OTT.  I will not do that now but I have to say that I am worried about the way things are going.  Realistically the only trophies we had a reasonable sout in this year were the two domestic Cups.  To lose in both of those in such devastating fashion is embarressing and some serious soul searching needs to be done.  Like AZ and maybe some others I was around when Liverpool were dominating. 

Two things from that time which are seriously lacking are that Anfield used to be a Fortress where teams were a goal down before the game started.  While they may have the best home record in the League it does not exude the fear in teams that it used to and many games are tougher at home than they should be. 

Secondly, Liverpool used to be able to control games and bring it to their own particular pace.  Maybe Seanie is right when he says that with the abolition of the backpass Liverpool have lost their ability to control games :P.  But seriously they are allowing teams dictate how they play the game too much and not imposing their own game on other teams.  A major look at personnel over the transfer window is needed.  If this deal with DIC doesn't come through maybe it is time that some difficult decisions are made and players sold to fund rebuilding.

winghalfun

Was watching with a few Arsenal mates last night and even they couldn't get too excited about their victory because of Liverpool's such inept display.

Stevie G my arse. A wonder goal every now and again does not a leader make.
Yes I know that Dudek and the defence where as leaky as Abi Titmus in a Girls Aloud video but come on Stephen, lets start seeing what all the fuss was about.

Uladh

Would Abi Titmus be that leaky in a girls aloud video?

I have long believed that liverpool have a collection of solid pros without much "spark". they have no world class players. noone to turn a game and noone step up to the plate when the shit hits the fan. first one to utter stevie g as a riposte goes the way of flameboy!!

while the arsenal youngsters are good, they are not all that...yet. but they do have a tried and trusted system to adhere to and the movement and speed & accuarcy they pass the ball with never faltered from that of a premiership game.

am i right in saying that if baptista had converted the penalty he'd have tied with frankie bunn's record for goals in a game?

johnneycool

Quote from: winghalfun on January 10, 2007, 10:15:24 AM
Was watching with a few Arsenal mates last night and even they couldn't get too excited about their victory because of Liverpool's such inept display.

Stevie G my arse. A wonder goal every now and again does not a leader make.
Yes I know that Dudek and the defence where as leaky as Abi Titmus in a Girls Aloud video but come on Stephen, lets start seeing what all the fuss was about.

I certainly think questions need asked of Stevie G's input now that he is in centre midfield. His defending is poor, nay almost pathetic at times, Rosicky's second goal on saturday, he pulled out of a block like a big girl, then last night he went sailing into a challenge on Baptiste and was easliy side stepped leaving a clear shot on goal which he duly put away.
With Sissoko back in the reckoning shortly it's back out to the right wing for you I'm afraid.

Sammi, goodbye big lad, it's time for Agger to get the start.

Paletta, where oh where did he come from?

Dinny Breen

Last November I posted Liverpool had a average defence, an excellent midfield and a poor attack and that if Liverpool tried to play football against Arsenal, Arsenal would win comfortably. I was told in no certain terms I was talking bollix, in fairness I think Rafa is a good manager but some of his signings are questionable and if I was him I'd sell Gerrard. Gerrard is capable of scoring fantastic goals sush as last nights but he was there last night to lead, he didn't and was anonymous for most of the game. Liverpool always had a great team spirit and for this neutral looking at them that team spirit is lacking.

They have conceded 12 goals in 4 games against Arsena and I havel picked up the following stats from 365

Liverpool's record against Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal in the league since Benitez took over

P15 W2 D1 L12

In all competitions

P23 W4 D4 L15

#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

For facks sake it was only the league cup.

The team picked was the right team - you have to give lads a chance, and this is the competition to do it in. It was easily the strongest side he put out this year in the league cup.

The actually played quite well for the first 25 minutes or so. Dominated possession, and in the 10 minutes prior to Arsenal's opener they had started to create chances. Arsenal scored on the break with literally their first attack. Immediately after the goal Andy Gray mentioned 4 Arsenal players who had not touched the ball prior to the goal - which tells a story of how the game was going up to then.

The goal gave Arsenal confidence and they then started to play and Liverpool went into their shell a bit. As the game went into injury time it was 1-2, not an altogether unfair reflection but then came the most critical few minutes of the game. First a Dudek mistake from a corner leads to the ball ricocheting into the net off Song's arm (a pure fluke), then the 4th goal should have been disallowed as it was clearly offside.

That was game over and there was little to be done.

The second half was 2-2, which reflected Liverpool huffing and puffing and occassionally having some success, but with Arsenal sitting back and being very dangerous on the counter. Aluminia made a couple of great saves and Arsenal missed a penalty - it was one of those games that could have been any score. But it was only league cup.

It was disappointing for Liverpool that none of the second string who played took their opportunity to state a case for first team selection. And very disappointing to see Gonzalez and Garcia stretchered off which could well mean long spells out. And there will be some others who wont get next nor near a Liverpool first team jersey for the rest of the season.

full back

Only the League Cup!!!
The League Cup is, sorry, was the only chance of a trophy this season for Rafa's army
Bring on Barcelona :D :D

McGuyver

Is it really goalkeepers Liverpool need to be signing?

cavan4ever

supersarsfields

I dont understand this interest in buying young keepers just to farm them out. We've got Carson who is a good keeper, we had Kirtland. We need one good solid keeper(Reina) and one other who would be happy playing second fiddle. Not a young kid who is going to want to be playing as many games as possible. And someone with more talent than Dudek!!
Like BCB i'm not going to go too over the top on last nite's result. We need to start plugging away in the League and try and get a bit of confidence back before we meet some of the bigger teams. And as for anything in the Champions League past this stage, that would be a bonus.

SuperDooperCooper

A bad few days for a Liverpool fan for sure. Even worse when you consider my best friend is an Arsenal fan.
Don't care about last night really, we knew Dudek was not great, Paletta was very, very poor as was our hero Stevie G.
I'd prefer to finish 3rd in the league than win the worthless cup, can anyone name the last 5 winners....
Remember we lost to Crystal Palace last year.
Made a bet at 1-5 that Liverpool will finish above Arsenal in the league and I'm confident I will collect.
Disappointed about the FA Cup exit but Reyna would have saved two of the goals.
The worse news was the stories that DIC may not plough in the cash we were expecting into the club.
The positive news is that Momo is due back on the 3rd of February for the Everton game and Stevie G can go back on the right wing and forget about covering the defence.

An Fear Rua

Scousers will beat the Russians in a few weeks and all will be well again........
Its Grim up North

forkinknife

I don't have faith in Benitez whatsoever. It may turn out the the CL victory was his highlight, but also the catalyst for more seasons playing catch-up. He has never made us remotely anything near challengers for the title. The FA Cup I suppose was some consolation last year but doing well in cups was the perserve of Middlesbrough and Leicester at one stage. We are Liverpool. Utd, Chelse and Arsenal to a lesser extent are getting richer in terms of players willing to believe they can be the best. Bellamy is a liability. Crouch is not a title-winner. Kuyt is unproven. Garcia and Alonso are adequate at best. We need class buys, no more obscure purchases.