Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: longshanks original on February 19, 2009, 12:11:28 AM
by the way Zulu i hope you weren't trying to make out that ulster starts north of cavan because in case you missed that day in geography then ill update you, ulster has 9 counties!! including cavan and since the GAA doesn't recognised ireland as divided then you need to let that whole north-south thing lie, were just one big happy GAA family ;D divided into 4 provinces of course and then into 32 counties and then into clubs but were definitely all a happy family!!!!

;D Jaysus, not at all, I'm a 32 county man.

longshanks original

Thats good i was under the impression yous mexicans didnt want us :D

StoneWall

Sigerson Cup Fixtures

Semi Finals 27.02.09(Fri)
Cork IT 12.00 NUIG v Cork IT

Cork IT 3.00 DIT v UCD

Final 28.02.09 (Sat) in Cork IT @ 3.00pm

Our Nail Loney

No matter what you say Zulu, the bookies had QUB as pre tournament favourites, then when the poly beat them they were installed as favourites...

Why would they do that when they were the worst teams in the competition?

GalwayBayBoy

Match report on NUIG v UUJ

Galway countymen Sean Armstrong and Gareth Bradshaw starred as NUIG hit 1-4 without reply in the final 18 minutes to oust UUJ (2-10 to 1-8) from the race to land this year's Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup after an enthralling tie at Kingspan/Breffni Park.

Bolstered by an opportunist Colm Kavanagh goal, UUJ impressed as they sashayed their way into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead after only nine minutes.

But just 90 seconds later NUIG replied in devastating fashion with Mark Gottsche goaling after a lung-bursting run by centre-back Bradshaw split open the UUJ defence.

Even though UUJ's 1-7 to 1-5 interval lead was deserved, it exhibited a paper rather than a steely veneer and once the third quarter beckoned, NUIG began to punch holes in it.

With playmaker-supreme Sean Armstrong getting more and more on the ball, NUIG's march to the winner's enclosure kicked off once the impressive Paul Broderick (Carlow) levelled matters, 1-8 apiece, in the 49th minute.

The beginning of the end for UUJ dawned after the combined forces of Donal Morgan and Daniel Bateson felled Sean Armstrong as he bore down on Greg Kelly's goal with less than four minutes of normal time remaining.

Once Broderick cooly blasted home the resultant penalty spot, it was obvious the die was cast.

NUIG now had the momentum, big-time, and they finished with a spring in their step and a swagger too with sub Eddie Hoare and John Connellan putting the final nails in UUJ's coffin.

NUIG - L Grant; C McDonald, G Cafferkey, D Finnegan; N Ewing, G Bradshaw, P Domican; M Gottsche (1-0), K Conroy; C Kenny (0-2), S Armstrong (0-1), J Connellan (0-3); P Broderick (1-3), G Begley, C Healy. Subs: Conor Devaney for M Gottsche; E Hoare (0-1) for C Healy.

UUJ - G Kelly; D McDermott, A Girvan, D Morgan (0-1); K Nolan, D Hughes, D Bateson; J Colgan, P Downey; C Donnelly (0-3), T McCann (0-3), R Mulgrew (0-1); C Kavanagh (1-0), S Forker, D Mulholland. Subs: P Hughes for D Mullholland; C Murray for S Forker.

RedandGreenSniper

Great result altogether for the College. Bradshaw is having some start to the season, finally delivering on his undoubted potential. Serious players to be able to bring off the bench too in Eddie Hoare and Conor Devaney. Interesting to see last year's Mayo full-back and this year's playing, and Kieran Conroy playing in his right position - midfield!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mattockranger

Was Conroy not with GMIT last year? very confusing
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mattockranger on February 19, 2009, 01:14:22 PM

Might be Paul Conroy you're thinking of. He's still at GMIT.

INDIANA

I think Queens were vastly better than UUJ .Just that UUJ caught them on a bad day. UUJ in my view were never going to win that competition this year. In my view Queens could have and maybe should have. One look at Cork IT's teamsheet would tell anyone who knew anything about Gaelic Football would know the odds for yesterday's game were ridiculous.
Didn't fancy the Guards either. Too many big lads and precious little flair. That being said I don't see UCD winning it. DIT and NUIG final for me.

Zulu

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on February 19, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
No matter what you say Zulu, the bookies had QUB as pre tournament favourites, then when the poly beat them they were installed as favourites...

Why would they do that when they were the worst teams in the competition?

Where did I say they were the worst teams in the competition, I thought Queens were very good but I didn't rate UUJ? I'm not sure what the betting was pior to the start but DCU would also have been there  or thereabouts so surely CIT have as much right to favouritism as NUIG, especially considering they're hosting it. The point I'm making is that a few Ulster posters seem to be of the mindset that beating Queens or UUJ is a shock or means that tthe team to do so are automatically favourites from here on in, it's a bit arrogant and, if you know your Sigerson football beyond Ulster, simply wrong.

The GAA

CIT / DIT final for me. Hosts have proved to have a fair starting advantage in the past, although UCD are a fair surprise package.

I'd say queens were possibly the best team in it this year and were caught out. A weaker 08 queens team beat a UCG 08 team that was stronger than this years.

ulster-boy

i simply cannot understand zulu how u dont rate this UUJ team? they probably have the most inter-county players than any of the other teams in this years competition! here is just a few..Darren Hughes(Monaghan), Tomas McCann Niall McKeever Conor Murray(Antrim), James Colgan Packy Downey(Down), Stefan Forker Paul Kernan(Armagh) Colm Cavanagh Raymond Mulgrew(Tyrone). They are a very talented team in my eyes!!

The GAA

I would say uuj wouldn't be in the top five in terms of numbers of intercounty players

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: mattockranger on February 19, 2009, 01:14:22 PM

Kieran Conroy was with GMIT last year afaik. He's probably doing an engineering course, which, to be completed to degree level, requires a switch to NUI Galway
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ulster-boy

Quote from: AFS on February 19, 2009, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: ulster-boy on February 19, 2009, 02:38:52 PM
i simply cannot understand zulu how u dont rate this UUJ team? they probably have the most inter-county players than any of the other teams in this years competition! here is just a few..Darren Hughes(Monaghan), Tomas McCann Niall McKeever Conor Murray(Antrim), James Colgan Packy Downey(Down), Stefan Forker Paul Kernan(Armagh) Colm Cavanagh Raymond Mulgrew(Tyrone). They are a very talented team in my eyes!!

In fairness most of those lads don't regularly line out with their counties. The two Armagh boys would have maybe 1 Championship appearance between them.

well sigerson cup football is generally percieved as the stepping stone to inter-county, so im sure we will see them in future years! and remember young forker is still a teenager, the fact that big Joe Kernan called him up to the Armagh senior panel while he was still at school underlines his huge potential.