Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

Quote from: ulster-boy on February 18, 2009, 04:44:19 PM
is this the same c mc donald that was full back for tipp seniors against cavan at the weekend there?
Correct.  Ciaran McDonald was corner back for the Tipp senior team last year, but played full back for the Under 21's and had an excellent game in holding Tommy Walsh (Kerry) to a point in the Munster Final.  He is now playing full back on both the Senior and Under 21 Tipperary teams.  He is a fine young player.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: INDIANA on February 18, 2009, 05:18:55 PM
Just as well some of us put 50 notes on Cork It this morning. Saw the odds, couldn't believe my luck.

Match or outright?

INDIANA

Our Nail Loney

Zulu

Quote from: shark on February 18, 2009, 04:08:09 PM
UCG 2-10 UUJ 1-8!!!!

UCG should go on to win it now.

Was at the DIT - GMIT game. One way traffic in the second half. DIT very physically imposing team. Ross Glavin at centre back ran the game on his own terms. Strong midfield also.

Why? Some of the Ulster boys seem to be under the impression that Queens or UUJ are the Sigerson front runners every year and that is simply not the case. I fancied NUIG big time today because they were the better looking team on paper, I think some lads north of Cavan need to remember that there is a lot of football played down south as well, I wouldn't have fancied UUJ against anyone today bar GMIT and possibly UCD. For me the only big upset today was the Guards getting beaten and all of the four remaining teams have a great chance now.

marym

Was on Irish Examiner about Cork Seniors going to Portugal .

ulster-boy

well pointed out AFS, both of them have been the dominant force of sigerson football in recent times. also worth noting UUJ were missing their crossmaglen contingent for the game today as well as Antrim prospect Niall McKeever(currently on trials with a number of clubs in Australia). However, take nothing away from NUIG..they should go the whole way now!!

Zulu

In university competitions what you did even last year can have limited influence on your chances this year and certainly your record 3 to 6 years ago has nothing to do with it.  What I'm pointing out is that many Ulster lads seem to have lost a good deal of objectivity when looking at football, anybody who knew anything about football in general would have known that NUIG were more than capable of beating UUJ but now that they have, some Ulster posters are suggesting they are now favourites, i.e. any team that beats Queens or UUJ are automatically favourites, which is not necessarily true.

Zulu

I'm not getting excited about this AFS, just pointing out that at least 3 posters have already made NUIG favourites solely on the grounds that they beat UUJ, i.e. they don't know much about NUIG or the remaining teams in the Sigerson yet because NUIG beat UUJ they must now be the team to beat. That indicates both a lack of knowledge of football at this level and a presumption that the Ulster universities are clearly the best in the country, which they are not. It's a bit dismissive of the standard of football in other Universities is all and as someone who'd know a thing or two about it it's a bit annoying but I'm just pointing that out, you can take it or leave it.

Denn Forever

Good win for UCG today.  They took a while to get going but were well worth it.  UUJ had a flyer of a start but couldn't keep it going.  UUJ didn't seem to ha ve an idea in the second half.  Enjoyable game for the neutral.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

longshanks original

Quote from: Zulu on February 18, 2009, 08:48:08 PM
I'm not getting excited about this AFS, just pointing out that at least 3 posters have already made NUIG favourites solely on the grounds that they beat UUJ, i.e. they don't know much about NUIG or the remaining teams in the Sigerson yet because NUIG beat UUJ they must now be the team to beat. That indicates both a lack of knowledge of football at this level and a presumption that the Ulster universities are clearly the best in the country, which they are not. It's a bit dismissive of the standard of football in other Universities is all and as someone who'd know a thing or two about it it's a bit annoying but I'm just pointing that out, you can take it or leave it.

Now it hardly shows a lack of knowledge of football since the poly were favourites to win the competition before today, and since NUIG beat the favourites then its a pretty good assumption that they should now be seen as the team to beat!! Also as either the poly or queens have been in the past 6 sigerson finals then i would go along with the idea that the Belfast university's (not ulster university's as the rest in ulster are tripe) are the best university's in the country in the past few years.

Zulu

DCU would have been many peoples favourites and both CIT and the Guards were also fancied, Queens for example were hammered by DCU in the league and the Guards won it so Queens favouritism was largely based on their McKenna cup run. I'm not disputing that both Queens and UUJ had fine teams this year but anyone who knows his Sigerson football wouldn't have either of them as clear favourites prior to the start and there is little logic in making NUIG favourites because they beat UUJ. Why not CIT who are hosting the Sigerson and have beaten a star studded DCU, or an injury depleted UCD who have beaten both UL and the Guards, likewise DIT who beat GMIT well are worthy of consideration. I'm just pointing out that it is somewhat arrogant to presume the conquorers of one of the Ulster powerhouses are now automatically favourites.

longshanks original

by the way Zulu i hope you weren't trying to make out that ulster starts north of cavan because in case you missed that day in geography then ill update you, ulster has 9 counties!! including cavan and since the GAA doesn't recognised ireland as divided then you need to let that whole north-south thing lie, were just one big happy GAA family ;D divided into 4 provinces of course and then into 32 counties and then into clubs but were definitely all a happy family!!!!

Bod Mor

Quote from: longshanks original on February 19, 2009, 12:11:28 AM
by the way Zulu i hope you weren't trying to make out that ulster starts north of cavan because in case you missed that day in geography then ill update you, ulster has 9 counties!! including cavan and since the GAA doesn't recognised ireland as divided then you need to let that whole north-south thing lie, were just one big happy GAA family ;D divided into 4 provinces of course and then into 32 counties and then into clubs but were definitely all a happy family!!!!

That's not what longshanks would say :)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

longshanks original

I'm sure longshanks had very little to say on the partition of ireland saying he was 6 foot under at this stage!!!  ::)