NFL DIV3

Started by mattockranger, January 27, 2009, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

I wouldn't be that afraid of Div 2. If a team were to prepare with the league as a target they could stay up. Meath are no world beaters. Monaghan as decent but can be beaten. Laois are hot and cold. You'll probably have Westmeath in there next year too. Truth is, on a given day there are only 2/3 teams in Div 2 that stand out.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 22, 2009, 05:17:54 PM
I wouldn't be that afraid of Div 2. If a team were to prepare with the league as a target they could stay up. Meath are no world beaters. Monaghan as decent but can be beaten. Laois are hot and cold. You'll probably have Westmeath in there next year too. Truth is, on a given day there are only 2/3 teams in Div 2 that stand out.

to be honest Myles id disagree
Monaghan
Laois
Westmeath
Meath
maybe Armagh
and one from Tyrone,Dublin,Mayo and Donegal

Those teams are streets ahead of whats in Division 3, Its a big step up.

Onlooker

Tipperary football people have had so many lean years that I would say that the Div. 3 table is certainly not a mess.  It is a beautiful sight.  We have waited for years for a run like this in the National League.  Having said that promotion is still wide open as Roscommon and Down have still to play each other.   Tipp's target this year was to be competitive in Div. 3 and hopefully avoid relegation.  There was not that much confidence that we would manage to stay up.  The Under 21's play Cork next Saturday in the Munster Final.  Cork beat Kerry (All Ireland Champions) by 10 points in the Quarter Final, so we are up against it big time, but who cares.  We have nothing to lose.  Division 2 would be a huge step up and only this morning John Evans said that Tipp were not yet ready for Div. 2 football.  Maybe we would be better off getting promoted next year.

Azzurri

Sun 22nd March
Round 5: Offaly 1-16 Cavan 0-13
Round 5: Louth 0-18 Longford 0-12
Round 5: Roscommon 1-10 Tipperary 2-13
Round 5: Limerick 2-9 Down 1-11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allianz GAA Football National League Roinn 3 Table
Team Pld Won Draw Lost For Against Diff Points
Tipperary 5 4 0 1 77 66 11 8
Down 5 3 0 2 71 62 9 6
Roscommon 5 3 0 2 70 63 7 6
Offaly 5 2 1 2 62 72 -10 5
Louth 5 2 0 3 73 61 12 4
Cavan 5 2 0 3 58 66 -8 4
Limerick 5 2 0 3 57 68 -11 4
Longford 5 1 1 3 59 69 -10 3

Louth Exile

Fair play to Tipp, great performance for them to be top of the league and they deserve full credit for it.
Also, they have already played Down, which is a bonus.

I looked back on the predictions listed on the first two pages of this thread, there are predictions listed for a total of 11 of us (if I can count!) including the mighty Martin Breheny, with the exception of Pedro everyone predicted them to finish 8th of 8!!!!
What the hell do us lot know about football??

If Louth bring their Roscommon performance to Thurles they haven't a hope. If we can get the wind behind us for two halves and show the 14 point performance that we did in the second half today we could come good!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Shamrock Shore

I was in Drogheda today.

Three words come to mind.

f**k, f**k and, eh, f**k.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2009, 12:10:41 AM
I was in Drogheda today.

Folk, funk and (tuning) fork?

I recommend a good blasht of Horslips to ease the pain ;)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2009, 12:10:41 AM
I was in Drogheda today.

You were one of the few SS! Terrible crowd on a fine day for football
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Shamrock Shore

The wind was a telling factor. Louth used it to better advantage in the second half.

However, on yestrday's performances, neither Louth nor Longford will be feeding from the Leinster trough this year.

Good to see JP Rooney still plying his trade although what's with the tatoo on the right leg??

Louth Exile

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 23, 2009, 10:48:36 AM
However, on yestrday's performances, neither Louth nor Longford will be feeding from the Leinster trough this year.

Good to see JP Rooney still plying his trade although what's with the tatoo on the right leg??

You are dead right about that.

It has been great to have JP back, he was one of the unfortunate ones to be dismissed from the panel two years ago! He was a bit harshly treated at the time. He does have a great understanding with Clarke. He wasn't at the top of his game yesterday, but has put in some good displays already this year and will be a key man come the championship

Rossfan

Well done Tipp ... the best team yesterday who won by the margin they deserved.
We started in great fashion going 1-3 up in a few minutes but when Tipp broke from midfield they ran through us with ease scoring 2-1 in 3 attacks. Our slow half backs got sucked up the field following Tipp h.forwards and left acres of space for the Tipp lads to run throughor fros Grogan(no 15) to cause us all sorts of problems. Despite playing with the strong wind we spent most of the 1st half arsing around with the ball in our half forward area.The f forwards were playing too deep resulting in a number of balls when eventually hit in dribling over the end line.
In the second half when we got the ball it was slow pass after slow pass eventually to the ineffective Heneghan who must have messed up 10 or 15 possessions in that half.
In the absence of U21s it is obvious that the initial enthusiasn generated by the arrival of Fergie has now worn off the usual suspects who proved once again they havent got what it takes when the chips are down.
It would be nice to have the luxury of starting to build the 2010 team at this point but with relegation still threatening that's not on .
One thing that worries me is that in 150 minutes of football over the weekend our teams  conceded 6-27. Defensive problems for the forseeable future I fear.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Games this weekend are critical to promotion and relegation. Here are my predictions....

Longford v Limerick: Limerick to win by 3
Down v Offaly: Tight one. Draw possible but I'll go for Down by a point.
Cavan v Ros: If Cavan get up for it they'll win but thats a big IF. Cavan by 2.
Tipp v Louth: Louth really need to win. I think they will. Louth by 1 or 2.

Trevor Hill

Longford v Limerick
Down v Offaly though I hope I am wrong on this one.
Cavan v Roscommon
Tipp v Louth

Onlooker

Limerick beat Longford by 3 points to move up a couple of places on the table.  Longford have 3 points with only 1 match left and look to be in a very bad position to avoid the dreaded relegation to Div. 4.

mylestheslasher

2/2 for me so far. Heres the table tonight. Cavan & Louth really need to win tomorrow or they are in serious trouble.

Tipperary 5 4 0 1 77 66 11 8
Down 6 4 0 2 92 72 20 8
Roscommon 5 3 0 2 70 63 7 6
Limerick 6 3 0 3 67 75 -8 6
Offaly 6 2 1 3 72 93 -21 5
Louth 5 2 0 3 73 61 12 4
Cavan 5 2 0 3 58 66 -8 4
Longford 6 1 1 4 66 79 -13 3