NFL Div 2 - Fermanagh v Monaghan

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 27, 2009, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on January 28, 2009, 08:24:06 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2009, 01:31:08 PM
It's strange, because they can always up their game for 'bigger' teams.

This is clearly what my earlier first line was referring to - try to keep up. And to clarify it for you further....

Quote from: Maguire01
Mentor motivates team / instills passion? Surely McEnaney would tick that box as well

Anyone can motivate a team to lose to Kerry, its in the other games that you prove your motivational skills, and to take your point of view (contradicting your own opinion of the banty in the process) Monaghan didn't seem to be motivated against fermanagh in the championship!
Although we both know thats rubbish - how would m'han ever take fermanagh lightly when they get beaten by them every year?? 

And what are you on about, woods not in peak fitness yet??! When do you expect him to be? Agree hes got talent, but when he hasn't been in peak fitness at any point so far in his life I can't see this year being any different, can you??!
It's good to have you back chasing my posts. it must be a couple of months at this stage.

Anyway, i don't think McEnaney lacks the ability to motivate the team. There's no doubt that last year's result against Fermanagh was a disappointment for Monaghan, but whether or not that had anything to do with motivation is another question.

As for Rory Woods, well other posters have already answered that one. I don't know how you can be in a position to determine what his peak fitness is or how fit he has been at any given point in his life, but as has already been said, man of the match performances against Kerry on '07 and Donegal in '08 say all that needs to be said.

I'd also be impressed if any player in any county had reached their peak fitness in mid-January.

FermPundit

Its a very difficult game to call on Sunday. From a Fermanagh perspective its imperative that we get off to a winning start. There are so many hard games in this division that we need to win our home games. Its a big relief to actually have "home" league games this season after playing in various locations across the county, Cavan and Clones over the last two league campaigns.

I'm not sure what team Malachy O'Rourke will line out but I suspect it won't be that different from last year bar a few changes in personnel. Based on his McKenna cup performances, Michael Jones derserves a go at corner back. With Womble still in Australia, James Sherry will probably partner Marty at centre field. Blooby could potentially play CHF, allowing himself and Sherry to rotate positions when required. Given our need for a good target man, Seamus Ryder will hopefully play at full forward. Hopefully he'll continue on from his impressive performances in the McKenna Cup. Daniel Kille has every chance of starting in one of the corners but I think O'Rourke will probably go with Pat Cadden or Ryan Keenan with Eamon Maguire in the other corner.

Monaghan put in a great effort against Tyrone which will give them great heart going into this game. Overall, Fermanagh and Monaghan are two very evenly matched teams. It should be a good game.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

Think Keenan will play. Get the impression Mal rates him.

Rory Foy could be worth a go at CHB

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Schkite

Is Keenan's younger brother on the Fermanagh panel this year?

Main Street

Quote from: haranguerer on January 28, 2009, 11:13:19 AM

In fairness to Rory Woods, I would agree he gives his all, and I really do rate him. The point I was making, in a light hearted way, was that he is renowned for carrying weight, so I was amused when I was told he was badly outta shape - in a 'whats new?' kinda way!

Well, it was a bit of a shock to see the shape of him against Tyrone, Michelan Man would be a fair enough description.
Though he looked sharp enough and had a bit of a motor.
Fair play to him, it looks like he has the type of body that has to work three times as hard just to keep within a distance of the scales of optimum weight. Whereas others can eat like a horse and don't put on the weight

Main Street

Someone told me that Corey is the team captain, is that true?
Is he a good choice?
I would have thought Lennon or Clerkin.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on January 29, 2009, 03:43:16 PM
Someone told me that Corey is the team captain, is that true?
Is he a good choice?
I would have thought Lennon or Clerkin.

Vinny is the new captain yeah. Excellent choice in my opinion. Has won championships at minor and senior level for Clontibret as captain and leads by example both on and off the pitch. He's a great voice in the dressing room and a good motivator, extremely dedicated too. He's the Clontibret captain this year again also.

Lennon is vice-captain, another good choice.

haranguerer

Quote from: Schkite on January 29, 2009, 03:20:21 PM
Is Keenan's younger brother on the Fermanagh panel this year?

Injured - broke collar bone or something or other. Hes been out for a while now though, so I'd says hes well recovered by now.

From a fermanagh point of view, I don't think Kille has done near enough to start, and from what I seen of the mckenna cup Paul Johnson and Rory Foy were the pick of those who got their chance, with Ryder prob having done enough to get a place in full forward. Also,i'd put Shane O Brien at least on a par with Blobby for a place, and wouldn't be surprised to see both play, with one of them mebbe keeping Ryder out. 

Maguire01

Monaghan: P. McBennett; D. Mone, V. Corey, J. Conlon; C. McManus, G. McQuaid, D. Hughes; D. Clerkin, E. Lennon; S. Collogly, P. Finlay, M. Downey; C. Hanratty, B. McKenna, T. Freeman.

Fermanagh: Ronan Gallagher, S Goan, S Lyons, M Jones, R Foy, S McDermott, P Sherry, M McGrath, J Sherry, S O'Brien, R Keenan, P Cadden, E Maguire, S Ryder, E Ferris

Caid

That would have to be considered a very experimental Fermanagh team.  It shows that the McKenna Cup, whilst much maligned, is more effective in allowing players to show their worth than in say challenge matches or training drills.  Shows the strength in depth at the back that we can field a team without Owens, Kelly, McCluskey, McElroy, Bogue etc and i'm still pretty optimstic about our FB line and HB line.  Similarly it has the makings of a decent FF line and I think Ferris could have a good league campaign.  Having said that I would have concerns about the HF line and Sherry at MF.

Both line ups have punctured my dreams of winning the Gaelic Life fantasy comp...
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

I have to admit there are quite a few surprises in the Fermanagh team. Given that we need to win all our home games, I'm not sure this is the best time to select such an experimental side. I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few changes in personnel before throw in tomorrow. 

It's just as well there is a new pitch at Brewster Park, for there has been heavy rain in Enniskillen since early yesterday evening.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

Is this match on the radio? Q101 aint workin for me :/

Caid

D Kelly on for R Foy
M McGrath off M Little on
P Sherry off T McElroy on

John Bannon to referee - great

Caid

Gary MacEnaney on for Gary McQuaid - foot injury

big loss for Monaghan

Main Street

Quote from: Caid on February 01, 2009, 01:44:40 PM
Is this match on the radio? Q101 aint workin for me :/
Northern sound are mainly broadcasting the div3  relegation battle between Cavan and Longford with some news and commentary from Brewster Pk