An Mhí vs Corcaigh - Sraith Náisiúnta Peile, Roinn II

Started by thejuice, January 26, 2009, 11:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattockranger

Suprised McQueeney didn't get the nod bit of a knock to his confidence seeing a wingback start at FF
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Hardy

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Tá se Beo ar TG4.

Well its not but I dont know the Gaelige for deferred but any way, if you have a good excuse for not being in Cork its on the telly. Cant say Im too hopeful having looked at the lineup but you never know. Im just glad that the GAA season is back on just as the NFL(gridiron) is over.

C'mpn the Royals!!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Yeah, regardless of the result the football season is up and running and life is good again.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Jinxy

Some observations from the game having just watched it on TG4.

1. We CANNOT carry big Joe and Cian Ward in the same forward line. It's debateable as to whether we can even carry one of them. Zero pace.
2. Barry Regan gave away a huge amount of possession at centre back.
3. Reilly did ok at full back and I thought he was unlucky to get a yellow.
4. Harrington was Meaths best player by a mile.
5. In terms of physical condition, we are way behind the top teams. Gaelic football is a game of pace and power now.
6. While some might say we should use to league to experiment, if we continue to do so on the same scale we did today with 5 debutants and a number of other players with a handful of games  at this level, we will be in Div 3 next year.

Shamrock Shore

The Hardy household will be a cold sad place tonight!

thejuice

Jesus the ball into the forwards was f ucking terrible. The long ball into Joe clearly wasnt working but hey thats no reason to stop trying it, was it! Joe was getting cleaned out the whole time. Anyway the backs did alright at defending but they struggled to find their men when passing it out, Anyway its only February. They certainly aren't up to the right fitness level.

Kevin O'Reilly did pretty good in full back and shouldnt have got a yellow.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2009, 05:42:06 PM
Some observations from the game having just watched it on TG4.

1. We CANNOT carry big Joe and Cian Ward in the same forward line. It's debateable as to whether we can even carry one of them. Zero pace.
2. Barry Regan gave away a huge amount of possession at centre back.
3. Reilly did ok at full back and I thought he was unlucky to get a yellow.
4. Harrington was Meaths best player by a mile.
5. In terms of physical condition, we are way behind the top teams. Gaelic football is a game of pace and power now.
6. While some might say we should use to league to experiment, if we continue to do so on the same scale we did today with 5 debutants and a number of other players with a handful of games  at this level, we will be in Div 3 next year.

I'd agree with that, forwards werent winning anything. it seemed obvious to me that we should have switched to a possesion game rather than pumping it in long. Damian Sheridan got a good point though I cant see him holding a place in mid-field.

Colm Brady is our fitness coach and im sure he'll get them fit at the right time. but we dont look like a team thats into the conditioning like other counties. Looking at Tyrone and Dublin them lads are in better shape than our lads by the looks of things.

INDIANA

thought meath were dreadful to be honest. An absolute shambles to be blunt about it. Hard to know whether Donegal were worse. I think Meath have a lot of good players but I often wonder do they embrace modern training techniques because they look to me like they don't.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2009, 06:20:06 PM
thought meath were dreadful to be honest. An absolute shambles to be blunt about it. Hard to know whether Donegal were worse. I think Meath have a lot of good players but I often wonder do they embrace modern training techniques because they look to me like they don't.

Exactly.

INDIANA

Meath produce absolute natural gaelic footballers as good as tyrone and kerry and by and large better than us. But they look backward in their training techniques. Athletically miles behind the likes of dublin and tyrone last night. Very much in my view a kind of ham sandwich and a cup of tea after training mentality in Meath. The likes of Shane O Rourke are better off with DCU because they probably get better training and coaching. Boylan may have abeen a bit off the wall but he was in fact miles ahead of his time. The sooner Colm O Rourke gets involved with their seniors the better

thejuice

I would agree with those sentiments. We are still in the last century. I ask this question all the time and I never get an answer. What are Tyrone and Kerry doing that we're not doing in terms of preparation? and why the hell aren't we doing it!!