the troubles i've seen.....

Started by milltown row, January 24, 2009, 06:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

It is scary how much we sweep aside and move on from.
When you think of what most people have lived through and it hasn't really affected them it is a bit shocking.
The riots in Armagh for me after drumcree were the biggest thing I was ever involved in - crazy times - getting shot at at the shambles when a lone guman fired from a crowd at the police and they returned fire above everyone's heads - I thought I was dead lol
Love hearing stories from some of the older lads about town of goings on - my parents generation were in the thick of things and its great to listen to what happened from a historical point of view
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 26, 2009, 01:10:32 PM
Too much really...

Correct saan. Plus you have to watch what you say incase it came back to haunt ya, you never know who's reading this sh1t...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: new devil on January 24, 2009, 06:41:13 PM
Teebane bomb were 8 Protestant workmen were blew up..lived beside it

King rat came twice to a garage beside home..owner got away both times...2nd time gun jammed and he beat the f**k out of the ratthankfully crip finished him off  ;)

Never heard that ! Are you serious ?

Over the Bar

A wee woman was standing in a shop in the Falls in 1974 when there's an almighy crash & rumble heard in the distance!  She runs outside and says "Was that thunder?"  and a passing pedestrian says "I think is was a bomb love" to which she replies, "Thank heavens for that, I have a line of washing out!"

ardmhachaabu

The Post Office in Armagh getting blown up, what I remember most is the soldiers and cops all grabbing as many bank notes as possible  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

maddog

Quote from: orangeman on January 26, 2009, 02:38:54 PM

King rat came twice to a garage beside home..owner got away both times...2nd time gun jammed and he beat the f**k out of the ratthankfully crip finished him off  ;)

A cousin of mine had a gun pulled on her by either the rat or one of his crew. Came up alongside on a motorbike and the gun jammed. He was also said to have walked into Mickey Kellys bar and took a good look around before walking back out. Dont know how true that is.
A second cousin of mine was shot dead in portadown in 98, lovely lad had no involvement in anything, just part of the loyalists any taig will do campaign. No one ever convicted of his murder, no surprise there.
When i was about 10 i was heading up to the youth club on a bright Saturday morning. We went into Kellys shop to buy sweets when there was a huge bang. A man by the name of Herbie Burrows was blown to smithereens by a bomb intended for his boss a part time Ruc man. I remember looking at the body and wondering what it was.
Another time there was a bomb on the primary school wall, my two older sisters were just leaving the house when my mother called them back to ask if they had taken a key with them. Bomb was 150 yards away - only she called them back they would have been passing it at the time.
There by the grace of god.

5 Sams

I remember the Bond Store on the Quay in Newry getting blown up....all the drink was dumped in the quarry up beside us...I remember some of the "big boys" in school drinking whiskey with their lunch!!
The Aristocrat Years

Puckoon

Growing up in Omagh, we were relatively untouched by the troubles, until of course the bombing.

For some reason I was very sensitive to the news and the reports of all the murders up and down the country still sticks with me. I remember me da running out of petrol on some back road outside armagh one day when I was with him on his rounds and he flagged down a van load of builders who gave us a lift in the back of it into armagh town. I remember being f**king petrified of these boys and sure that this was the end of me and me da.

maddog

Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2009, 04:45:20 PM
Growing up in Omagh, we were relatively untouched by the troubles, until of course the bombing.

For some reason I was very sensitive to the news and the reports of all the murders up and down the country still sticks with me. I remember me da running out of petrol on some back road outside armagh one day when I was with him on his rounds and he flagged down a van load of builders who gave us a lift in the back of it into armagh town. I remember being f**king petrified of these boys and sure that this was the end of me and me da.

What sort do you think we are ?

Puckoon

Quote from: maddog on January 26, 2009, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 26, 2009, 04:45:20 PM

What sort do you think we are ?

I was never as happy to get out of a transit van in all my life. I kept thinking to myself - whats the cut off for these f**kers? They do know Im only 10, sure they cant shoot me.

Tyrones own

Quote from: maddog on January 26, 2009, 03:51:39 PM

A cousin of mine had a gun pulled on her by either the rat or one of his crew. Came up alongside on a motorbike and the gun jammed. He was also said to have walked into Mickey Kellys bar and took a good look around before walking back out. Dont know how true that is.
A second cousin of mine was shot dead in portadown in 98, lovely lad had no involvement in anything, just part of the loyalists any taig will do campaign. No one ever convicted of his murder, no surprise there.
When i was about 10 i was heading up to the youth club on a bright Saturday morning. We went into Kellys shop to buy sweets when there was a huge bang. A man by the name of Herbie Burrows was blown to smithereens by a bomb intended for his boss a part time Ruc man. I remember looking at the body and wondering what it was.
Another time there was a bomb on the primary school wall, my two older sisters were just leaving the house when my mother called them back to ask if they had taken a key with them. Bomb was 150 yards away - only she called them back they would have been passing it at the time.

We were in McIlvanna's in the Moy one Saturday night when the rat came in and did the same thing, it took a few seconds for someone to cop on to who he was, a few of us walked out the door just in time to see him getting into the back of a police landrover :o and slowly drive off.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

fred the red

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 26, 2009, 06:00:39 PM
Quote from: maddog on January 26, 2009, 03:51:39 PM

We were in McIlvanna's in the Moy one Saturday night when the rat came in and did the same thing, it took a few seconds for someone to cop on to who he was, a few of us walked out the door just in time to see him getting into the back of a police landrover :o and slowly drive off.

Did he have a gun with him that jammed, or was this purely scaremongering?

Tyrones own

Fcuk who knows...looking for some poor bastard no doubt but no.. no gun.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 26, 2009, 01:10:32 PM
Too much really...

Yeah, I've no desire to enter that part of my head. 
I'll never move on, or forgive. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gawa316

There was riots up in one of the nationalist estates in Enniskillen, think it was around the 12th or Drumcree. Anyway a load of hoods where throwing rocks etc at the cops, next thing a plastic bullet comes flying from the cops, everyone ducks and the next thing the town clown is jumping around like a mad thing shouting, 'Ahh me arse!' It hit him square on the backside. Everybody on both sides just burst out laughing