Impact of first news memory

Started by longrunsthefox, January 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I've seen Cavan lose a few times, not a newsworthy event ;)

I'd say my first memory is JFk's visit to Ireland, it was on the TV probably live transmissions, the helicopter, Wexford and Limerick.
From the Black North, probably it was the sinister Paisley, bible in hand, booming voice, leading a mob,  this was the tricolour flying incident/riots on the Falls Rd.

RedandGreenSniper

My own first memory I think would be the Berlin Wall coming down in 1989, when I would have been seven. A few months later one of the lads in school brought in a piece of the wall that his uncle lent him. It could have come from a building site around the corner for all I know but we were absolutely amazed looking at it!

Interested too to see the different timelines of posters here. I would have thought few beyond 40 but obviously not! Wonder who the oldest poster is?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Aerlik

Can't remember the exact one but have a blurred memory of watching one of the Apollo missions returning to Earth and crashlanding in the sea.  Also, I have vague memories of Bloody Sunday.  I was 4. 

I was watching a John Pilger DVD about The Middle East and he interviewed a child psychologist who took him to a school where the children were asked to draw whatever was on their mind.  Not surprisingly the Israeli State terrorism featured predominantly.  It reminded me about growing up in the Six Counties, especially as my family were closely affected by events back then, and how even here on this site there are people whose earliest memories too are influenced by those events.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on January 25, 2009, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 24, 2009, 05:30:42 PM
Mine was Ray Houghtons V England....can remember it being a really sunny day for some reason!!
I remember his goal against Italy in '94 and my da coming home from the club blocked.

I was sick that day. Remember laying on the sofa, throwing my ring up and watching the game on the box.
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

think mine were 1976 summer long drought in england and it that isnt an actual 'event'
then 1977 queens silver jubilee would be what I most vividly recall, that and something about the sex pistols !

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 23, 2009, 05:09:06 PM
Heysel. I was 8. Nothing else really registers before that.
Retract that. Was reading something last night which reminded me of the miners strikes and definitely remember footage of it on the morning news before I went to school.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: ziggysego on January 25, 2009, 07:57:45 PM
Quote from: hardstation on January 25, 2009, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 24, 2009, 05:30:42 PM
Mine was Ray Houghtons V England....can remember it being a really sunny day for some reason!!
I remember his goal against Italy in '94 and my da coming home from the club blocked.

I was sick that day. Remember laying on the sofa, throwing my ring up and watching the game on the box.

Was in the Meadowlands for that game, it is one of those days you will never forget.

new devil

Quote from: maggie on January 24, 2009, 05:53:49 PM
I remember watching the news reports that had the Shinners real voices dubbed (think thats the  word) over with that of an 'actors'.

??? why was that ???

new devil

Really why did they do that?...was it just the shinners?

ziggysego

Quote from: new devil on January 25, 2009, 10:01:03 PM
Really why did they do that?...was it just the shinners?

The British Government didn't want Sinn Fein spreading their propgander (sp?) on British TV, so banned their voices from the airwaves. The Irish Government followed through.

However the media got around this by getting an actor to sub their voices.

This video by Steve Coogan was a spoof of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

The brits thought everyone would join the IRA at the sound of Gerry's voice.
The Irish government, being cowards as usual, did the same to get their tongues further up the brit's holes. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Didn't the actor Stephen Rea, who was the voice of Gerry Adams, receive death threats?

Wild.

Treasurer

Between people who don't remember Section 31 and those whose earliest memories seem like yesterday, this thread has made me feel quite old!!  Good thread nonetheless.

Donagh

Quote from: ziggysego on January 25, 2009, 10:06:09 PM
The British Government didn't want Sinn Fein spreading their propgander (sp?) on British TV, so banned their voices from the airwaves. The Irish Government followed through.

Actually the Irish government implemented the ban a good ten years before the Brits and it was more wide-ranging - SF member being banned from speaking about any topic. Used to lead to many farcical situations where activists would ring into gardening and sports programs before declaring membership and being cut off the air. Did it myself at a Fleadh in Kilkenny in '89 when I was 'vox popped' outside the final of one of the competitions and again at a 2FM road show on Moore St one day.

Fair play to Micháel O'Muircheartaigh who gave hunger strike protesters in Davitt Park, Lurgan two minutes of live radio to put their points in 1980.

Stephen Rea was never the voice of Adams but I don't doubt the death threats. 

Estimator

The Chernobyl Disaster was probably the first news story that registered with me!
Ulster League Champions 2009