Impact of first news memory

Started by longrunsthefox, January 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

It's quite cool to read this thread, even though most memories are of tragic things. Interesting to see where I stand in the timeline of things. There's a few younger bucks, but plenty of older heads old enough to remember JFK, Ali, bloody Sunday and a few others.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on January 24, 2009, 04:21:03 PM
It's quite cool to read this thread, even though most memories are of tragic things. Interesting to see where I stand in the timeline of things. There's a few younger bucks, but plenty of older heads old enough to remember JFK, Ali, bloody Sunday and a few others.
I'm the same. I naively assumed everyone on here was in the 20-40 age bracket but it seems we have few venerable silver surfers!

pintsofguinness

I didnt watch the news, I was afraid the bad people on it would be looking in the window and get me if I was watching  :(
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

I used to think the IRA were employee by the news to give them something to talk about. That's how stupid I was.
Testing Accessibility

fred the red

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2009, 04:40:15 PM
I used to think the IRA were employee by the news to give them something to talk about. That's how stupid I was.

:D

Tim Buzaglo

Its the Zeebrugge ferry disaster for me - 1987 I think!
Will we ever see another one?

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on January 24, 2009, 05:07:51 PM
Its the Zeebrugge ferry disaster for me - 1987 I think!

Just brought that memory back for me there!! can just remember eating toast in my grans house when that came on the news....I used to love that toast even though i dont eat it now.....Strange how some thing just triggers ure memory!!
I guess in ten years it will prob be 9/11   
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ONeill

First sporting memory I think was Gerry Armstrong's goal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FL/MAYO

I remember Bloody Sunday, my mother says that I was really angry, I tried to kick the TV as news came in from Derry.

I remember the Mayo minors winning the 1971 All Ireland, one of the neighbors was on that team (Tick Higgins), the captain was also from my home town so there was some great celebrations.

The Watcher Pat

Mine was Ray Houghtons V England....can remember it being a really sunny day for some reason!!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 23, 2009, 03:56:57 PM
My son of seven pointed at the front of the Irish News history making picture this week of Barack Obama  swearing in for President. I was startled when he said, "that's Barack Obama' and he seemed very taken with him as everyone else is. First time I have seen him take any notice of current affairs or world news.
I was wondering what other posters first memory of local or international news is and how it impacted on their minds then.  To start the ball rolling my very first news memory was when I was about eight... 1968.  Bobby Kennedy's assasination. I remember a few adults and especially in one shop saying 'a pity it wasn't that b*****d Paisley.' (True!). I figured it out in my child head that all these people must be good but some better than others... and turned out Paisley weren't so bad after all!!   ::)   

I told my cousin that barack Obama was named after a "barrack Buster" of cider....lol and he believes me!!

ONeill

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 24, 2009, 05:30:42 PM
can remember it being a really sunny day for some reason!!

Probably because there were no clouds and it was summer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Watcher Pat

No Shit Sherlock!! That's some deduction!! It always sunny when u beat England!!

maggie

I remember watching the news reports that had the Shinners real voices dubbed (think thats the  word) over with that of an 'actors'.

boojangles

Gettin a day off school for Mary Robinsons inauguration.First woman President of Ireland.1990.
I also remember being in Croke Park seeing Cavan lose to Dublin in a league Quarter or Semi final.1987/88 circa.Barney Rock was the name my father kept mentioning.Thats one of my earliest memories Id say.I was 3 or 4.