Superquinn to lay off 400 workers

Started by thebandit, January 21, 2009, 06:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on January 22, 2009, 11:48:01 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on January 22, 2009, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 21, 2009, 07:36:38 PM
Tesco treat their customers with contempt.
They're by far the worst I've come across, I still shop there, but, if I had a viable alternative I'd use it.
Superquinn are easily the best in the south as regards quality and variety, but they are more expensive.  Unfortunately for them Sainsburys are at least equal in quality, much, much cheaper and only a few miles away - they just can't compete.
They quality is gone to the dog now . The local butcher does better meat which only leaves their bakery which is nice .  There fruit and veg crap and seems to go off before you've gotten out the door of the shop.
Maybe, but their bread is still great!!

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 22, 2009, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 22, 2009, 11:48:01 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on January 22, 2009, 11:45:12 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 21, 2009, 07:36:38 PM
Tesco treat their customers with contempt.
They're by far the worst I've come across, I still shop there, but, if I had a viable alternative I'd use it.
Superquinn are easily the best in the south as regards quality and variety, but they are more expensive.  Unfortunately for them Sainsburys are at least equal in quality, much, much cheaper and only a few miles away - they just can't compete.
They quality is gone to the dog now . The local butcher does better meat which only leaves their bakery which is nice .  There fruit and veg crap and seems to go off before you've gotten out the door of the shop.
Maybe, but their bread is still great!!
Yes but how many people are willing to pay a good bit extra over their entire bill for a bit of nice bread.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Superquinn's pizzas are the nicest in the world!! (that I've tasted  ;)  )

The sausages are the bees' knees too.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Double Cross on January 21, 2009, 06:34:18 PM
With a lot of euros heading north this was inevitable and more shops may face closure if the government doesnt do something to stop the flow of money to the north.
Interesting to hear Arthur Morgan, Sinn Fein TD for Louth, reacting to this. When invited by a reporter to comment on whether locals should or shouldn't be shopping in NI, he faithfully toed the party line in refusing to distinguish between one part of Ireland and the other i.e. carry on border-hopping. Which is fair enough, I suppose, but if I were one of his constituents who is being made redundant in Dundalk, I suspect I'd remember this at the next election when selecting who to send from Louth to the Parliament of what Morgan calls a "little semi-statelet"... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

pintsofguinness

Aye because if Arthur Morgan had to say people shouldnt go across the border superquinn would be packed tomorrow   ::)
You do talk some shite EG.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pedro

Bad news for Dundalk alright. Know a few people who work there and they hadn't heard anything about it beforehand. Have to say you could see it coming. On top of the cross-border shopping, Superquinn is without doubt located in the worst part of town. Go into Carroll's Village shopping centre (if you can call it that) and you will see that have the units are empty as it is, very little footfall going through it (even the newsagents pulled out FFS). Then you have Sascha (sp) who will probably be defunct by the end of the year, CD World have already closed s I can see many more pulling out of there unless Asda or somoeone replaces them. Superquinn was th flagship store there so that is that place fcuked IMO.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015