Ireland Squad for RBS 6 Nations Championship 2009

Started by Off The Fence, January 21, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off The Fence

Backs:
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Ian Dowling (Shannon - Munster)*
Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College - Leinster)
Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)*
Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
Keith Earls (Young Munster - Munster)
Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College - Leinster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne - Leinster)
Robert Kearney (UCD - Leinster)
Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster)
Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin - Munster)
Eoin Reddan (Wasps)
Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College - Leinster)*
Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)

Forwards:
Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
Ryan Caldwell (Dungannon - Ulster)*
Bob Casey (London Irish)
Tom Court (Ballymena - Ulster)*
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)
Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster)
John Hayes (Bruff- Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster)*
Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
Marcus Horan (Shannon - Munster)
Bernard Jackman (Clontarf - Leinster)
Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College - Leinster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)
Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster)
Malcolm O'Kelly (St.Mary's College - Leinster)
Alan Quinlan (Shannon - Munster)
Mike Ross (Harlequins)*
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon - Munster)
David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

A Team Panel
Isaac Boss (Ballymena - Ulster)
Sean Cronin (Buccaneers -Connacht)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht)
Ian Humphreys (Ballymena - Ulster)
Keith Matthews (Buccaneers - Connacht)
John Muldoon (Galwegians - Connacht)
Sean O'Brien (Clontarf - Leinster)
Neil Best (Northampton)
John Andress (Exeter)

thewobbler

I see Declan is following his predecessor's footsteps and pandering to O'Gara's ridiculously over-inflated ego by not putting in-form competition in the squad at no.10. Ian Humphrey's ommission is a shocker.

AZOffaly

What sort of a comment is that wobbler? Humphrey's exclusion is a surprise, but what has that to do with O'Gara and his ego? That's crazy talk. Good to see Cave and Mike Ross in there though.

Dinny Breen

In fairness AZ even you can't deny O'Gara is a knob, on his day he's an excellent player but he hasn't had a good game for Ireland in 2 years. Not selecting Humphreys and by selecting Sexton Kindey has more less told O'Gara yep son you'll be starting all 5 games.

Other ludicrous selections beside Sexton are

Dowling, Dempsey, Stringer, Mick O'Driscoll and Quinlan. Disgusted with that squad....

oops left out O'Kelly FFS
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 21, 2009, 02:30:54 PM
In fairness AZ even you can't deny O'Gara is a knob, on his day he's an excellent player but he hasn't had a good game for Ireland in 2 years. Not selecting Humphreys and by selecting Sexton Kindey has more less told O'Gara yep son you'll be starting all 5 games.

Dowling, Dempsey, Stringer, Mick O'Driscoll and Quinlan. Disgusted with that squad....

In fairness many of those will probably be part of the 9 that he will have to cut before the 6 nations.

Not sure what Sexton has done to deserve to be selcted ahead of Humphreys or Keatley though?

Is there much point picking the likes of Mick O'Driscoll or Stringer anymore? Neither of whom can get their game for Munster.

Time for Dempsey to be put out to grass too. Been a great servant but time waits for no man.

Dowling will never be international class as long as he has a hole in his arse even though he has improved greatly recently.

Off The Fence

How many games has Andrew Trimble played for Ireland this past year?  Jesus he didnt even get a minute in any of the three internationals.  Kidney leaving himself wide open here IMO.

AZOffaly

I don't know ROG personally, so I have no idea if he is a knob or not. Certainly he doesn't have the same approachability as a Paul O'Connell or any of the other Munster lads, but I fail to see how that's an excuse for Kidney not selecting Humphreys.

The real fault here is Chieka's as he has refused to give Sexton game time at Leinster :D

ludermor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 21, 2009, 02:49:50 PM
Not sure what Sexton has done to deserve to be selcted ahead of Humphreys or Keatley though?

I don't think the international community is ready to be subjected to Keatleys kicking routine just yet!
Where is he from anyway? I cant imagine him practising that in the wilds of Galway/Mayo/Sligo/Leitrim ( must be Roscommon)

shark

Quote from: ludermor on January 21, 2009, 03:38:21 PM

I don't think the international community is ready to be subjected to Keatleys kicking routine just yet!
Where is he from anyway? I cant imagine him practising that in the wilds of Galway/Mayo/Sligo/Leitrim ( must be Roscommon)

Meath

turk

In my opinion, out half has been a position that should be strongly contested for Ireland. O'Gara's form for Ireland dipped since David Humphries retired and there has been no serious competition for the jersey since.

I'm very surprised the young Humphries isn't in the squad.

Dinny Breen

QuoteThe real fault here is Chieka's as he has refused to give Sexton game time at Leinster

Serious bait there but seriously Sexton just isn't up to it, Humphreys is worth a shot, Keatly needs another season, one more gripe Shane bloody Horgan, great servant but he has two left feet for hands these days......

No captain announced
#newbridgeornowhere

Onlooker

Anyone know why Brian O'Driscoll is described as from UCD & Leinster.  It is a long time since he was a student at UCD.  I would have thought that his club was Blackrock.

IolarCoisCuain

Ian Humphreys not being on the first squad is a shocker. He's lost out to Paddy Wallace, who does not play ten for Ulster, because Ian Humphreys does, and to Jonny Sexton, to whom Leinster seem to prefer playing anybody at out-half but him. You tell me.

As for boys being put out to grass, it's often best not to pension fellas off until you're sure you've got someone to take their place. This panel will get a second cut anyway and some of the older stages will be more than likely be moved along then.

thebandit

Quote from: Onlooker on January 21, 2009, 04:04:15 PM
Anyone know why Brian O'Driscoll is described as from UCD & Leinster.  It is a long time since he was a student at UCD.  I would have thought that his club was Blackrock.

He moved from Rock to UCD when he started college and never moved back - he must be rugby's answer to Jimmy McGuinness :D

ildanach

disappointed not to see humphries included.

he has gone for a fairly safe squad. the uncapped players will hardly get a run out come the match day 22
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.