Cheltenham

Started by bennydorano, January 21, 2009, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

The race that I am looking forward to the most from the week is the Champion Hurdle...

As impressed i have been so far with Binoular, and nobody can deny it has been imperial this season so far and Aintree last year, I think I am going to oppose it... I just think that it will find it hard to exert its super speed on the Cheltenham hills! Though I could be proved wrong...

I am going to go for Sublimity each way in the race, two years ago this horse was one of the easiest champion hurdle winners I have ever seen, absolutely cruised home... I felt the old trainer last year made mistakes, he kept the horse wrapped up in cotton wool all season pulling him out of races and he didnt look fit enough when he went but still did ok to finish fourth...

This year under new trainer Robbie Hennessy, has been a different story, on his first run of the season he was just pipped by Punjabi when he hit the front too soon... Then he showed he was back to top form when winning the Grade One Christmas Hurdle at Leopardstown, beating the likes of Brave Inca, Sizing Europe, Muirhead, Won in the dark...

The horse has a serious turn of foot when needed and can sustain it well...

I think the 12/1 available for this is far too big and offers great each way value, I have also took a couple of win bets on him but will go each way with the rest I think...

This sunday will be some race, will certainly test his credentials, a win here could see the Cheltenam price drastically chopped...

3/1 second fave for sunday at the minute

Our Nail Loney

Just a heads up to anyone thinking about backing Aran Concerto for te RSA Chase:

Aran Concerto, second favourite with some bookmakers for the RSA Chase at Cheltenham, is set to miss the Festival showpiece.

Noel Meade's charge made an impressive start to his chasing career at Navan but a setback after that means connections are running out of time to get him ready for tthe Grade One contest.

"He's just back in work again now. After he won his novice chase, he was supposed to run in the Drinmore Novices Chase at Fairyhouse in early December and he actually damaged the front of his stifle one morning so he had to rest until after Christmas," the trainer told sportinglife.com.

"I don't think he'll actually make Cheltenham this season. I think we'll probably concentrate on the home prizes in Fairyhouse and Punchestown and I would hope that he could run in the Powers Gold Cup at Fairyhouse."

Meade was encouraged by his star's chasing debut and hopes he can continue to climb the ladder.

"He was deeply impressive at Navan and is a very good horse but who knows whether he'll get back up to the ability that he had before?

"At Navan he wasn't stretched but he didn't have to beat much. He'll have to do better again but hopefully he will."

ulster-boy

the champion hurdle should be a cracker alrite, cant see binocular get beat however too much class for the rest of the field in my opinion. looking forward to the triumph hurdle..anyone have a verdict on this race? Tharawaat of gordon elliott is my shout for it, would ignore his last two runs and he should be nice and fresh for cheltenham!! poor old denman looks a shadow of his former self also...will be interesting to see how he fares in the gold cup after what nicholls said..

Homer

For the antepost fans, Bet365 are NRNB on all races from today  :)

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Homer on February 19, 2009, 10:40:31 AM
For the antepost fans, Bet365 are NRNB on all races from today  :)

Be interesting to see what they do with their prices though

I remember Betfred starting this concession very early last year, though they cut their prices at the same time, thus eliminating most value...

Think I will still wait, a lot can happen in the next few weeks...

Mickey Linden

Well lads getting close to the festival now! Really looking forward to it. I done a good treble on Master Minded, Binocular and kasbiah Bliss. I think they will all win.

I also like the look of Kelakhai King(sp) and hope to have a good bet on both cousin vinney and hurricane fly once their paths are decided.

Anyone else any fancies?

Puckoon

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Puckoon on February 23, 2009, 04:57:05 PM
Whats a banker?

Person on Deal or no Deal who offers you money

Puckoon

That would be the banker.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Puckoon on February 23, 2009, 05:53:49 PM
That would be the banker.

Apologies...

A banker then, I presume, would be someone who works in a bank...

Italics are fun

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Mickey Linden on February 23, 2009, 04:56:16 PM
Well lads getting close to the festival now! Really looking forward to it. I done a good treble on Master Minded, Binocular and kasbiah Bliss. I think they will all win.

I also like the look of Kelakhai King(sp) and hope to have a good bet on both cousin vinney and hurricane fly once their paths are decided.

Anyone else any fancies?

Been talking up Kauto Star all season myself so I'll probably go for him. Kasbhah Bliss looked very impressive on his return to hurdle but Punchestowns shouldn't be discounted. Might have a wee each way flutter on Lough Derg - how many times has he been raced this season?! Some decent results too.

Punjabi e/w might be my bet for the Champion Hurdle, ONL has done enough to put me off Binocular. Wouldn't bet big enough sums to even think about Master Minded but he'll be a great watch.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 23, 2009, 06:23:26 PM

Anyone else any fancies?

Been talking up Kauto Star all season myself so I'll probably go for him. Kasbhah Bliss looked very impressive on his return to hurdle but Punchestowns shouldn't be discounted. Might have a wee each way flutter on Lough Derg - how many times has he been raced this season?! Some decent results too.

Punjabi e/w might be my bet for the Champion Hurdle, ONL has done enough to put me off Binocular. Wouldn't bet big enough sums to even think about Master Minded but he'll be a great watch.

Lough Derg has been heavily campaigned this season, running eight times already... He raced eleven times the year before as well...

But this doesn't seem to stop the gutsy horse... I don't think it is up to scratch yet to win a championship race... But I love this horse, won me a good few quid last year and this... Always gives you some value for money...

Our Nail Loney

Anyone else any fancies?

Kalahari King I like a well for the arkle... Backed it a couple of times this year... Nicholls horses are all trading way below what they should be, just suffering like every horse he has does with their price being lower than it should be...

Another couple of horses ruled out of Cheltenham:

Pandorama - Meade keeping it for a novice chasing campaig next year (This was the first banker of the year after its first couple of runs before getting beat by Mikael d'Haguenet)
Trafford Lad - Skipping the festival for Fairyhouse at Easter

Also it is rumoured Mullins is going to let us know before Wednesday what the craic is with Hurricane Fly, though I doubt he will let us know what the race targets are for his main three until closer to the week...

PPS - Hurricane Fly's form was boosted there yesterday with Go Native winning at Naas, beating Zaarito amongst others, after it trailed HF by ten lengths round xmas... Some animal...

bennydorano

TAC I wouldn't waste your money on Punjabi, a horse I thought was going to make it, but it's been shocking lately (Cert now to win at 20's!)

Still going to oppose Binocular with Celestial Halo (who beat him in the triumph last year).

Going to have a go at Neptune Collognes as well.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: bennydorano on February 23, 2009, 06:48:15 PM
TAC I wouldn't waste your money on Punjabi, a horse I thought was going to make it, but it's been shocking lately (Cert now to win at 20's!)

Still going to oppose Binocular with Celestial Halo (who beat him in the triumph last year).

Going to have a go at Neptune Collognes as well.

Celestial Halo is crying out for more than two miles... I read somewhere the last day that it won, from the last flight to the line it took a half a second more than the juvenile hurdle the same day and a whole second than the staying hurdle... A champion hurdle contender would need to be beating these other times out the park...