Wexford Vs Armagh - Feb 1st

Started by Uladh, January 20, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Forgot to ask how Ciaran McKeever got on at CHB? from speaking to some people at the game they thought he looked very solid.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: bennydorano on February 04, 2009, 11:13:12 AM
Forgot to ask how Ciaran McKeever got on at CHB? from speaking to some people at the game they thought he looked very solid.

Yes very solid. One great diving block. More of a man marking centre back... which is what I would personally prefer. He let MOR, the 2 Kernans & Brian Mallon get on with starting attacks & distributing ball.

corn02

Highlights on TG4 site. Glad to see MORjnr get a point, did not see that in the stats.

armaghniac

QuoteGlad to see MORjnr get a point, did not see that in the stats.

MORjnr was only on a short while, but took his point well. That made a point too.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

This Years Model

Fair play to you HalfBack, I'd say it's above and beyond the call of duty to offer much analysis of the opposition, so much appreciated.

ccosgrave, we Wexfordians are here alright. I'm not sulking (honest!), I just wasn't at the game, so can't offer much useful opinion.

I wouldn't get too upset about the result. It's no harm to get a kick up the arse at this time of the year to focus the minds. Mind you I'd have preferred something less than a 13-point kick up the arse, as score difference could be crucial later on.

If you want to look at recent precedent, I do recall us getting a few ugly beatings in Div 1B in '06 en route to getting relegated on the last day (in Wexford, by Armagh). We then played the Leinster Q-Final a month later and beat Meath out the gate. So all is not doom and gloom ...

Even when we get all our defenders back, we're still very short of cover in that area, so we have to unearth a few more backs before the summer. It's unfortunate that Gary Murphy seems to have gotten such a roasting, but we need to find out as soon as possible who's going to be up the job and who isn't.

Clones will be a tough test the next day, but we still have 3 home games after that, so I wouldn't be suprised if another candidate or two are thrown in at the deep end against Monaghan.

Fair play to Armagh, when I heard on the radio that Clarke had been yellow-carded during Wexford's purple patch I felt we should be able to hang on. But it looks like there's plenty of strength in depth in the Orchard, despite all the pundits writing their obituary at the end of last year .... All-Ireland U-21 champs 4/5 years ago, so there must be plenty of fellas well capable of stepping in.

Back to Wexford: if we can take the Leinster Champions in the U-21 on Sunday it would go some way to making up for last weekend's result. It's a repeat of last year's final, and in Wexford again. Getting to the final was a great boost last year. Hopefully they can keep it up.

fan01

it was a total disgrace on sunday in wexford, me attending as a student and being refused for not having a student card with me. 

charlie stubbs

Quote from: fan01 on February 04, 2009, 08:35:44 PM
it was a total disgrace on sunday in wexford, me attending as a student and being refused for not having a student card with me. 
[/quot

They wouldnt let you in coz you have no student card...

fan01

there was no signs to say that you had to have your student card.

stew

I never understand why people get so het up on league form, it is virtually meaningless come championship time. In 02 I went home to watch Armagh against laois in the league semi final ( I think it was)  and Armagh put on the single worst display I had ever seen from an armagh team in my life. Obviously that year we went on to win Sam for the one and only time in our history but to hear my mates pish and moan about our chances after that display you would have thought we would have been lucky to bate Antrim in the championship that year.

Roll on a repeat of 2002.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ccosgrave

Very much agree on This Years Model's point about the Wexford defense. I really hope Gary Murphy gets a fair attempt at breaking into the side - he looked an awful lot worse than he actually is on Sunday, it was just unfortunate, really. To be fair, the Armagh full back line looked equally terrible at some points in the first half when Wexford had the wind behind them, so I wouldn't cut Murphy just yet. The corner-backs seem to be the most problematic positions for the Wexford team at the minute, so hopefully we can find a decent player of the course of the League to fill the gaps. I wouldn't be comfortable at all with Brian Malone in there, but he's essentially the best corner back we have at the minute, so if we could find someone to complement him, it would certainly be a huge help. The half-back line wasn't too bad at all, I would be quite happy with Molloy, Doyle and, in particular, David Fogarty. With Adrian Morrissey and Colm Morris as wing backs, they might find it hard to get a look in, unfortunately, as they seem to be decent players.