All Ireland Scór 2009

Started by downgirl, January 18, 2009, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabee

Tickets very hard to come by. i think there were a few hundred who arrived in athlone last year without tickets and had to watch the competition on big screens in an adjoining building

Rav67

Quote from: downgirl on January 22, 2009, 03:29:29 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on January 21, 2009, 11:21:06 PM
Good to see Scor still going strong in some places, the amount of clubs entering in Derry seems to have dramatically dropped since I first went to watch Scor na nOg around 1993/94.  Myself and fellow poster Tommy Tight Lips are past Scor champions, can always lay claim to having been an all-county winner in a premier GAA competition

What did you get a county medal in Rav?? I would die for a county medal in instrumental!!

Got one in the quiz, entered recitation as well.  TTL won the ballad group event in the same year I think.

downgirl

Quote from: leenie on January 24, 2009, 07:33:56 PM
if the ulster final of scor is anything to go by then the all ireland should be spectacular.... the talent is getting better every year. I to am a scor competitor and now help with the scor na og for my club, to see the young getting so involved and being passionate about scor is great.... there is much more to scor that just the nights of the competition, there should be extra points for those who have to practice in old halls, no heating and snow outside on the ground... but sure its worth it!

though as much as i love scor sometimes it can be very frustrating, i don't know about other counties but sometimes the adjudication can be somewhat questionable.. but this has been taken on board as there was an adjudicators seminar this month designed to improve and standardise adjudication. so it will be interesting to see how it fairs.

This year at scor na og, i seen a young fella representing silverbridge in the recitations and i have to say in all my time at scor na og, he was the best i have ever seen, he was brilliant, unfortunately he didn't make it to the all ireland but i have no doubt that he will one day soon.

Yes Leenie, completely agree on the adjudication, some decisions in the past have been very unfair, I remember 2 years ago, one of the adjudicators for the East Down it was either semi or final, she was from Downpatrick club (and she was adjudicating for East Down which Downpatrick is a part of??!!)  and there were 2 competitors in the solo singing from Dpk and she put the 2 of them as equal 1st or 2nd and then one of the McCrickards from Castlewellan as either 1st or 2nd can't remember which.  So bad like she let them through because they were from her club (I think one was football the other was competing for camogie club or something).  Don't get me started on it...that's another reason I stopped coming home for scór like, what's the point in me paying for flights and all if a certain club beginning with M are always going to win the county instrumental??!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

youbetterbelieveit

cornafean

Quote from: downgirl on January 25, 2009, 07:54:51 PM
that's another reason I stopped coming home for scór like, what's the point in me paying for flights and all if a certain club beginning with M are always going to win the county instrumental??!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

The slogan "quitters never win and winners never quit" is so true of Scór. The key to doing well is persistence, persistence persistence. If you keep at it and put up with the inevitable disappointments, slip-ups and questionable adjudication, your day will come. The real fun is in the journey, not in the arrival.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

downgirl

Quote from: cornafean on February 02, 2009, 10:43:43 AM
Quote from: downgirl on January 25, 2009, 07:54:51 PM
that's another reason I stopped coming home for scór like, what's the point in me paying for flights and all if a certain club beginning with M are always going to win the county instrumental??!!!!  >:( >:( >:(

The slogan "quitters never win and winners never quit" is so true of Scór. The key to doing well is persistence, persistence persistence. If you keep at it and put up with the inevitable disappointments, slip-ups and questionable adjudication, your day will come. The real fun is in the journey, not in the arrival.

Yes that's grand if you are at home but Aer Arann are too expensive for me to be flying home 3 weekends out of 4 to get an east down medal and nothing more!

downgirl

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on February 02, 2009, 10:29:40 AM
Any word on winners?

Winners in what way?  Final isn't until 21st Feb...do you mean provincial winners?

sabhallphadraig

Quote from: seabee on January 25, 2009, 01:09:04 PM
Tickets very hard to come by. i think there were a few hundred who arrived in athlone last year without tickets and had to watch the competition on big screens in an adjoining building

Final is on for this Saturday and I guess there'll be a few travelling again without tickets. Can anyone confirm (seabee?) if the big screens next door to the venue will be available again this weekend?  Thanks

Ddawg

No need to worry about those big screens for Sabhall Naomh Phadraig is there? Downgirl I believe your Club cultural officer has a ticket ready for you...so im told! ;)
Best of luck to Saul Ballad Group, Co. Down on Saturday! You will do club, county and province proud! Maith Sibh agus Ádh Mór Oraibh!!
Downdawg!

downgirl

Ddawg...do you have a bed for me as well??!  :D

Ddawg

Indeed. We will also bring a few sleeping bags! lol! We wont need anywere to sleep especially if Saul win! You coming up Friday night?
Downdawg!

downgirl

Yep Ddawg, hoping to get up on Friday, need to have the lab reports handed in early cus I think they are due Fri at 5 but hopefully will leave them in early and hit the road about 2 or so...are we having a session on Friday night??  Is that what you want me to bring the pipes flute and fiddle up for?!  :D

Ddawg

Downdawg!

leenie

good luck to all those taking part today,,,,, especially those representing ulster!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Donagh