Its confirmed...all Nordies are paranoid

Started by Mike Sheehy, January 17, 2009, 05:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

I'll bet he has a theory on who shot JFK (and JR) as well.....McEneaney has lost it...

Monaghan boss fears anti-Ulster conspiracy
14 January 2009

Monaghan senior football manager Seamus McEnaney believes the GAA's new experimental rules could be interpreted as being anti-Ulster.

Banty is of the opinion that, were they to become permanent, the trial regulations will have a particularly adverse effect on Ulster teams, who deploy a more robust style of play.

"It would hurt a lot of teams, but there are a lot of people out there who feel that they are targeted towards Ulster, and you definitely couldn't disagree with that fact," he argues.

"You couldn't say it's NOT targeted against Ulster teams. Ulster teams in general - and Leinster teams like Dublin and Meath, may I add - play it to the line most of the time. It's a physical game and that's where we want it.

"We were bred in for it to be a physical game and we are losing that. That is a very important part of it. Yes, the catch, the kick and the solo and everything else that goes along with that is a very important part of our game, but we can't bring in new rules at the expense of physicality."

Mike Sheehy

Sure wasn't it Banty's own Monaghan team's defeat in the 1979 AI semi-final that led, to all intents, to the banning of the handpass goal.....he's one to talk given all the pressure  for rule change his crowd exerted at the time !

Mike Sheehy

QuoteBTW Mike, we're paranoid and proud of it, no confirmation needed

Go on, tell us in what other ways are we out to get ye ?

Zapatista

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 17, 2009, 06:01:54 AM
It's not just McEneaney, that well known Kerry supporter, Ross Carr fears for Ulster teams..........

Down senior football manager Ross Carr has lashed out at the GAA's new experimental playing rules, insisting they are designed to restrict the success of Ulster counties.

Carr believes the GAA should be more focused on exposing players who feign injury and exaggerate the effect of tackles, rather than curtailing the naturally physical side of the game.

The likes of Armagh and All-Ireland champions Tyrone will be worst hit by the new rules, insists Carr.

"Everybody's standing off and it's more like sevens' football," he explained. "Players are afraid to make tackles in case they get caught for yellow cards.

"I didn't think football was cynical to begin with and the powers that be have taken umbrage against Armagh and Tyrone's style of play and Ulster's success and tried to stop it.

"Look at the amount of games played over the course of the year," the All-Ireland medallist went on. "How many serious violations are there? I don't think that football is worse than any other sport.

"In all of the new rules, why has there been no outcry against feigners, fakers and divers? That's far worse in my view and a player should not play for six months if he attempts to get another player sent off.

"I just feel that the success of Armagh and Tyrone has been interpreted in a certain way, which has led to begrudgery."

Carr also feels that the art of the handpass has become overused, believing it leads to scrum-like circumstances.

"It's the handpass that needs to be looked at," he said. "The amount of handpassing is creating the problems and the one thing we can't do is take the physical confrontation out of Gaelic football."

It would seem that neither Tyrone or Armagh are quite as worried as Ross and Seamus.

BTW Mike, we're paranoid and proud of it, no confirmation needed.  As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

That is utter nonsence!!! Armagh are not successfully ;)

heffo

Quote from: Zapatista on January 17, 2009, 07:29:08 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 17, 2009, 06:01:54 AM
It's not just McEneaney, that well known Kerry supporter, Ross Carr fears for Ulster teams..........

Down senior football manager Ross Carr has lashed out at the GAA's new experimental playing rules, insisting they are designed to restrict the success of Ulster counties.

Carr believes the GAA should be more focused on exposing players who feign injury and exaggerate the effect of tackles, rather than curtailing the naturally physical side of the game.

The likes of Armagh and All-Ireland champions Tyrone will be worst hit by the new rules, insists Carr.

"Everybody's standing off and it's more like sevens' football," he explained. "Players are afraid to make tackles in case they get caught for yellow cards.

"I didn't think football was cynical to begin with and the powers that be have taken umbrage against Armagh and Tyrone's style of play and Ulster's success and tried to stop it.

"Look at the amount of games played over the course of the year," the All-Ireland medallist went on. "How many serious violations are there? I don't think that football is worse than any other sport.

"In all of the new rules, why has there been no outcry against feigners, fakers and divers? That's far worse in my view and a player should not play for six months if he attempts to get another player sent off.

"I just feel that the success of Armagh and Tyrone has been interpreted in a certain way, which has led to begrudgery."

Carr also feels that the art of the handpass has become overused, believing it leads to scrum-like circumstances.

"It's the handpass that needs to be looked at," he said. "The amount of handpassing is creating the problems and the one thing we can't do is take the physical confrontation out of Gaelic football."

It would seem that neither Tyrone or Armagh are quite as worried as Ross and Seamus.

BTW Mike, we're paranoid and proud of it, no confirmation needed.  As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

That is utter nonsence!!! Armagh are not successfully ;)

Armagh are not successfully what?

Tyrone Dreamer

It is strange that the new rules always seem to come in after Ulster teams have been succesful. Durimg the 90's after a few ulster wins a new rule was brought in to limit the number of handpasses. In round 2004 we had the sin bin after Tyrone and Armaghs victory. This year after Tyrones win we have the new yellow card rule. I can't think of to many other rules being introduced this last 20 years, strange its always after an ulster success. When Kerry win the rules are fine.

thejuice

Yeah, that'll stop the Ulster dominance of hurling as well. Well done Eamon! Next he'll been seen out around Carrick looking for ninja's in the ditches.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

Banty talks some awful shite. Full of his own self importance, can't figure out why myself, they haven't won anything.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: INDIANA on January 17, 2009, 10:24:58 AM
Banty talks some awful shite. Full of his own self importance, can't figure out why myself, they haven't won anything.

Is he not allowed an opinion?
Maybe thats why Piller was so quiet in the media during his successful term with the Dubs! ::)

INDIANA

He wants an opinion on everything, emigration, new rules, on why I'm the greatest monaghan man of all time despite the fact i've never trained them to win anything. Does my head in.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: INDIANA on January 17, 2009, 11:54:15 AM
He wants an opinion on everything, emigration, new rules, on why I'm the greatest monaghan man of all time despite the fact i've never trained them to win anything. Does my head in.

Fair enough, but i would suspect that a reporter asked him his veiws on the new rules and he just replied!

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on January 17, 2009, 11:54:15 AM
Did he not train them to win the Division 2 League in his first season? He's also leading Monaghan through their best spell in 20 odd years. And he has them pretty much around the top 10 in the country, which is pretty respectable for a county with one of the lowest populations in the country.

Also, it's not as if he's holding press conferences to share his opinions every week. He's being asked direct questions after a match and he's giving his opinion. I'm not sure where you're getting the "greatest monaghan man of all time" idea.

INDIANA

I don't like him maguire, thats been honest about it. Its as if Monghan should be lucky to have him sort of attitude. The brains behind the monaghan revival is Mc Elkennon- who is one the top coaches anywhere in Ireland.  I've heard the way Bantys treated some individuals on his squads and I wouldn't have any time for him to be honest.

Maguire01

I think most people in Monaghan were very happy he decided to stay on. I don't doubt McElkennon's talent for one second, but he wasn't able to work any miracles when he was on his own with Cavan, so i'm not sure it's fair to credit him alone with Monaghan's recent reversal of fortunes.

Schkite

He was asked a few words after a game, it's not his fault they keep getting brought up days after he said it. At this time of year when there's little to talk about, the media take things like what Banty and Carr said, and turn them into long-winded conspirancy theories just because they're the only semi-interesting things being said about the GAA at the minute.

And since when were Monaghan people nordies? News to me.