Civil Service Pay Cuts

Started by thebandit, January 15, 2009, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Civil Servants suffer a drop in pay

Yes
No
Pay Freeze

Tony Baloney

Sure I think I'm underpaid too. Who is crying to Peter Robinson on my behalf?!

You are also missing the point. If the workforce was streamlined then the civil service would be more efficient and everyone working there could get a decent wage and better working conditions so you didn't have to go on the sick all the time. No one is saying the civil service isn't important but it need a radical overhaul.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWe have been under paid for years
Join the club!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Gs Man

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2009, 08:36:40 PM
You are also missing the point. If the workforce was streamlined then *Insert your company here* would be more efficient and everyone working there could get a decent wage and better working conditions so you didn't have to go on the sick all the time.

Sure you could say that for any place of work!!!!
Keep 'er lit

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2009, 08:36:40 PM
Sure I think I'm underpaid too. Who is crying to Peter Robinson on my behalf?!

You are also missing the point. If the workforce was streamlined then the civil service would be more efficient and everyone working there could get a decent wage and better working conditions so you didn't have to go on the sick all the time. No one is saying the civil service isn't important but it need a radical overhaul.

If you think your underpaid go see your boss and ask him for a payrise..As Peter Robinson was Minister for Finance and personnel he was effectively our boss, and has admitted we have been under paid so its not just that i think i have been under paid. I have FACT!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tony Baloney

The tax payer isn't bank rolling *insert company* to engage in inefficient practices!

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2009, 08:47:25 PM
The tax payer isn't bank rolling *insert company* to engage in inefficient practices!

I believe Tony that the company you work for has received several large injections of cash from the Government............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Square Ball

we are all underpaid in the civil service, well the lower grades are, and have targets to meet and teams to run. we are under the same stresses as others ion the private sector, possibly more in some case.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tankie

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 15, 2009, 07:46:50 PM
Youse are all talking balls.

I work my balls off, as do the vast majority of people in my Department.  We're lucky to even get pay rise in line with inflation, we don't get performance related pay, all the shit about sick absences has been knocked on the head.

Quit whinging.  There are some lazy bastrds in the Civil Service, Im not denying that, but where do you work?  Is there no lazy bastrds working there?

Quote from: Tankie on January 15, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Regardless of a recession or not i believe that there should be a pay cut, but the work practices are just rediculous, what type of a job gives you upto 10 days uncertified sick leave, 35 hour weeks, flexi time, option of a year off, a pension and the fact you will never lose your job. Whats makes things worse is that there is a huge amount of the people on 40k + without a degree or any 3rd level qualification, they are there just so long that they keep getting increases. And to get a job you just need to no somebody, i think the lads in Dell have more skil the most of the civil service!

I find it hard to believe that these clowns feel hard done by.  ::)

Biggest pile of shite Ive read on this board in ages.  Probably on the wind-up but sure. 

A pile of shite my arse, are you serious telling me that a civil servant has it as hard of a private sector worker? and its far from a wind up, are you telling me that these owrk practices are not in place?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Rossfan

Isnt it an awful pity there werent the same number of people calling for price cuts over the last 10 years when the IBECunts were engaging in their Rip off Republic practices and FF/Builders/Developers/Estate Agents were forcing up house prices.
If those kind of things hadnt happened people wouldnt have needed high wages and the whole economy could have remained reasonably competitive internationally.
When the ESRI pointed out back around 2003 that we hadn't a real economy any more - only a big building site- Arsehole McCreevy started blathering about "oul left wing pinkos"  to the echo of his horsemates  guffawing loyally.
Meanwhile of course the Bankerwankers were gone completely out of control - 100%+ mortgages,Interest only loans ...etc etc.
So IBEC/Bankers/BuildersFF have fcuked up the Country - let them pay for it ..not the working people who got damn all out of it anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2009, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 15, 2009, 08:47:25 PM

I believe Tony that the company you work for has received several large injections of cash from the Government............

So some one in that company is ineffective and has to go to the government for handouts..

Cut the wages now..Streamline the workforce!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

pintsofguinness

QuoteMeanwhile of course the Bankerwankers were gone completely out of control - 100%+ mortgages,Interest only loans ...etc etc.
So IBEC/Bankers/BuildersFF have fcuked up the Country - let them pay for it ..not the working people who got damn all out of it anyway.
Sure it's the greedy that are getting most help now.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tankie on January 15, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Regardless of a recession or not i believe that there should be a pay cut, but the work practices are just rediculous, what type of a job gives you upto 10 days uncertified sick leave, 35 hour weeks, flexi time, option of a year off, a pension and the fact you will never lose your job. Whats makes things worse is that there is a huge amount of the people on 40k + without a degree or any 3rd level qualification, they are there just so long that they keep getting increases. And to get a job you just need to no somebody, i think the lads in Dell have more skil the most of the civil service!

I find it hard to believe that these clowns feel hard done by.  ::)

By the spelling and punctuation displayed in your posts I think you're the clown and a right wing looney to boot
Careful now

Bogball XV

The nordies posting here should jump back down from their high horses, the initial question was not directed towards them at all.  My understanding is that there is a world of difference between conditions, practices and salary from north to south.
Salaries are much, much higher, it's virtually impossible to sack people down here and most ridiculously of all, civil servants here have their pensions linked to the current salary of the person now doing their job!!!  Now, that's nonsense imo, an inflationary increase would suffice.
I've worked in both sectors (never actually been employed by the state though) and yes, there are plenty of useless beings in both, the problem however is that in the private sector management won't allow this to continue indefinitely, whilst in the public sector it may well do.  Another problem I frequently encountered in the public sector was misallocation of resources, this was endemic imo, I encountered many, many good individuals who had feck all to do.
Regarding the salary reduction, I'm totally in favour, it needs to be worked properly though, you can't have people at lower grades ending up being paid more than their superiors (simply because this would not be accepted by workers).  I'd like to see something like 20% cuts at the very top, 15% for the 100Kers, 10% for the 75Ker, 7/8% for the 50+Kers and cuts for those below 50K being such that they remain being paid less than those above them in the pay scales.  
We need pay cuts for the public sector because we need to reduce wages country wide if we are ever to see FDI in the country again, I'm not saying that FDI is the be all and end all, but it does have a part to play.  In short we need to become competitive, this is an important step towards this.

Double Cross

The vast majority of civil servants are as hard working as the rest of us, it is a small minority that have got them a bad name. Don't forget these people pay tax too. If there are to be pay cuts, why not cut the "pay" of those who contribute least to our society, those on the dole. The dole in the 26 counties is a joke. €207 a week for a single person, plus up to €560 a month in rent allowance. Family allowance is also another nice earner for lazy layabouts who do nothing all day but watch Tricia, smoke Lambert and Butler and breed like rats. I know one man who has been on the dole for 19 years. He is claiming for himself, the wife and 5 kids, thats €460 a week. He gets his mortgage paid which is just under €500 a month (yes a man who is on the dole for 19 years has a mortgage) and then they have family allowance of roughly €800 a month. Thats over €3000 a month for doing absolutely nothing, tax free. Should we really cut the pay of those who get out of their bed 5 mornings a week, or should we target those who contribute nothing to society, but take the most?

Gnevin

If the have redundancy this time the should make sure the get rid of the wasters , the last time the left all the good people go who then had to be called back in as consultants
::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.