All Ireland Club Championships - Latter Stages

Started by drici, January 14, 2009, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I was wondering where O'Se was before he turned up last year, did he stop playing for a few years Indiana? I knew him when he was in UCC and I thought he was shoo-in as a future Kerry senior, he was brilliant on the UCC team that won Munster, as was a certain Mr. Galvin at half back, but he never made the break through. One of teh best fielders I have ever seen in the flesh and a dead on lad to boot.

imtommygunn

I'd agree about Donaldson Indiana. To be honest I always thought he was very suspect for pace so people like that clearly won't be helped by age.

He works by hitting boys enough too slow them down though.(shoulders)

McEntee aside the Crossmaglen forwards aren't massive and the Kernans and McKeowns in defense have a lot of pace. It's more the spine of the team that are so physical.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on February 21, 2009, 09:18:46 PM
I was wondering where O'Se was before he turned up last year, did he stop playing for a few years Indiana? I knew him when he was in UCC and I thought he was shoo-in as a future Kerry senior, he was brilliant on the UCC team that won Munster, as was a certain Mr. Galvin at half back, but he never made the break through. One of teh best fielders I have ever seen in the flesh and a dead on lad to boot.

He was brought down to training by one of the lads who knew him from college.  hadn't played for quite a while and was at a loose end. Very much a case of -come for a few weeks training and we'll see how you get on. Little did we know the impact he would make or how good he was.
He was on the kerry panel under O Se but went to Australia for a good stint when he didn't breakthrough after that. Crying shame for a such a talented fella and a sound man as well. We were gutted to lose him because we can't replace him. I've never seen anyone get so high off the ground (bar that tyrone minor) to field a ball. Thats Kerry for you though. Everyone I spoke to in Kerry said he was average. i suppose when you've so many talented players its inevitable that some slip through.

Zulu

Is he gone again Indiana?

As for Kerry tell me about it, they're ridiculous down there. I'm involved in University level football and those boys eat, sleep and drink football, there are a good few lads who would definitely be getting senior trials, at least, with a few other counties that aren't even getting trials for their U21 squad. You have to be a special player to make the Kerry senior team that's for sure.

INDIANA

He's back home playing for Castlegregory Zulu but I would imagine his chance is long gone down there by now.

deaconblue

id give crokes a chance in the final, missing a few crucial players tday but still got there,cross had it easy
and that was to be expected v a poor drom side. drom got a handy passage to this stage only beating a very wastefull nemo on a desperate winters day,fair play to them but in fairness either side in last weeks inter final in croke park would be far superior,and i see a lot of drom playing. i have a hunch that crokes have there name on it this year and i tip them to edge a fine final.

North Longford

On the Kavanagh thing I've generally been disappointed in him when seeing crokes but at the same time he has made his name as a full forward or corner forward but crokes persistently play him further out the field. Think they would gain much more by putting him in the inside line an trying to isolate him with his man.

Zulu

Do they play him futher out as a tactic or is he drifting out himself? I have to say he has been very poor for Crokes any time I've seen him and looks like a man playing on reputation to me.

INDIANA

Thats already been tried and wasn't a success. A lot of country players from the smaller counties struggle badly in dublin club senior football championship. I'm not saying the standard is great because its not. But the intensiity is absolutely savage and you wouldn't see it in the rest of Leinster club football. He's used to being the man man in Longford , with Crokes he's just part of the team.  Hence the reason why I never expect a whole lot from  marquee players when they come in. He's still a terrific county player but he's used to being the main strike forward for any team he's played with.

milltown row

Donaldson has been one of cross's better players this year. i watched the match today and he picked up a lot of ball. greatb player and a agood reader of the game. he wont be the reason for Cross losing

brokencrossbar1

A great result today, I do feel there is a small bit of disrespect from Drom lads.   They beat two of the most consisten teams in Munster football to win it.  I think today the early goal rattled some of the more inexperienced players nerves and they could never get into the game.  On top of that we were very sharp and the players are in fine shape.  For a team to lose a player of the quality of Tony Mac in the opening minute and still keep their shape as if nothing happened is a great testimony to the players.  The one thing that today did show is that we can run up good scores, and that was on a day that Oisin had a quiet enough game. 

I am looking forward to the final, I will enjoy the run up to Croke Park, I must get myself one of the new black jersies. I think Francie is enjoying himslef back out the field.  I always said he was a better CHB than FB as he is such a fine reader of the game and you don't get as much exposure for pace out there than at FB.  The middle sector will be the winning of the game in the final and if Cross get the upper hand there early on they will win, if Crokes do well things might be different.

full back

Dominant disply from Cross on Saturday from a very very disappointing DB side
Although they wouldnt have beaten Cross if they had been playing till now it would have been good to put up a bit of a challenge
I dont know if the manager didnt tell the players or the players ignored them but Cross will never be beaten if you are going to try & walk through them or hand pass your way in.
The amount of times a hand pass was played to a forward who was rushing out to meet the player was unreal

drici

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi Finals:
Saturday February 21st

Mullingar 2-30pm
Kilmacud Crokes  2-11 (B Kavanagh 0-1, P Burke 1-2, M Davoren 0-2, M Vaughan 1-6)
Corofin              0-11 (G Sice 0-1, D Hanley 0-1, J Canney 0-2, S Monaghan 0-2, A O'Donovan 0-4 P Hanley 0-1)

Longford 2-30pm
Dromcollogher/Broadford 0-06 (P Donnelly 0-1, M Reidy 0-2, D McCarthy 0-1, R Lynch 0-2)
Crossmaglen Rangers      4-12 ( A Kernan 0-2, J Clarke 1-2, T Kernan 2-0, J Murtagh 1-1, O McConville 0-4, S Kernan 0-2, K Carragher 0-1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Ireland Senior Hurling Semi Finals:
Sunday February 22nd

Thurles 2-30pm
Portumna                  5-11 (L Smith 0-1, N Hayes 0-1, K Hayes 0-2, A Smith 0-1, D Hayes 2-1, J Canning 2-5, C Ryan 1-0)
Ballyhale Shamrocks    1-16 (C Fennelly 0-2, H Shefflin 0-10, TJ Reid 0-1, E Reid 1-0, M Aylward 0-2, D Hoyne 0-1)

Parnell Park 2-30pm
Cushendall   1-19 (A Graffin 0-1, K McKeegan 0-5, P McGill 0-1, S Delargy 0-1, S McNaughton 1-1, N McManus 0-4, A Delardy 0-3, C McCambridge 0-3)
De La Salle   1-21 (S Daniels 0-1, B Phelan 0-6, P Nevin 0-2, D McGrath 0-1, L Hayes 0-3, J Quirke 0-1, J Mullane 0-5, D Twomey 1-0, D Greene 0-1, B Farrell 0-1)
After Extra Time

Score at Full Time:
Cushendall 1-13
De La Salle 1-13

Orior

Thank you TG4 for flashing up the particpants in the All-Ireland club final before the delayed coverage of the second semi  :(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

drici

Saint Patrick's Day
Croke Park

All Ireland Senior Hurling Final:
De La Salle 1-08 (S Brenner 0-1, D Russell 0-1, B Phelan 0-2, P Nevin 1-0, J Mullane 0-1, T Kearney 0-2, J Quirke 0-1)
Portumna  2-24 (E McEntee 0-1, M Ryan 0-1, E Lynch 0-1, L Smith 0-1, N Hayes 0-3, K Hayes 0-2, A Smith 0-2, D Hayes 2-3, J Canning 0-9, D Canning 0-1)

All Ireland Senior Football Final:
Kilmacud Crokes           1-09 (D Magee 0-1, N Corkery 0-1, B Kavanagh 0-2, M Vaughan 0-4, M Davoren 1-0, R Cosgrove 0-1)
Crossmaglen Rangers    0-07 (T Kernan 0-2, O McConville 0-4, S Kernan 0-1)