Peoples Accents

Started by Tankie, January 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

katrina ruiane,now theres an annoying accent

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 13, 2009, 05:02:26 PM
Michael McMullan - what in the name of God happened him?

Where's he from?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: illdecide on January 13, 2009, 04:51:26 PM
Lads i was listening to the radio there now and Wayne McCullagh (boxer) was on and he has a belfast/hollywood (USA) accent f**king brutal it was, worst ever...

Graeme McDowell - worst accent in the country by some distance!!
Will we ever see another one?

Doogie Browser

Tubberman

QuoteQuote from: Billys Boots on Today at 02:56:49 PM
And nordies can't say 'sixth'.

And staters cant say 'South' or 'Thirty'.  If fact, staters are pretty bad with all words beginning with the letter T

I think that's mainly the Dubs and practically all of Munster!  :D

No problem with the 'th' in Connacht. There might be a bit of a problem with 's' becoming 'sh' though e.g. shticks and shtones  :D

If you're following a pub conversation between two people from Cork, Kerry, Dublin (some of their accents), or the northern counties (sorry to lump ye all together!) it can be nearly impossible to follow.  
i think Connacht accents and probably the midlands as well tend to be easier to follow - although obviously I'd find the Mayo accent easy to follow anyway...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

maggie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 13, 2009, 04:00:09 PM

You might not have lost your accent but I bet there are certain words you pronounce with a hint of a English accent or say a phrase that would be English,its hard not to when your listening to it everyday..
I believe this is what is happening to me,I haven't lost my flat midlands accent but there are a couple of words or phrase's I'd use that are typically Dub..

I think im still as broad a cluchie as the day and hour I arrived 4 years ago. In fact the children in my class imitiate my accent- with wee T'rone phrases.
The day and hour i think i have an English accent- im off.
South East/Essex-horrendous accent and they say yea after every word, innit, yea.
My mum yea, etc etc

maggie

The day and hour i use 'the day and hour phrase' too much-im off  ;)

clootfromthe21

Not an accent point - more a phrase in common usage in the greater Belfast area - the "for till"

e.g. "I'm away up till Storr-mount for till give them a piece of my mind about the peelers/hoods [delete as appropriate]"

Square Ball

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on January 13, 2009, 05:39:10 PM
Not an accent point - more a phrase in common usage in the greater Belfast area - the "for till"

e.g. "I'm away up till Storr-mount for till give them a piece of my mind about the peelers/hoods [delete as appropriate]"

the way your mon outta give my head peece spoke, Red Hand Luke me thinks you call him.

peole who you dont know ending sentences with mate.....
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Puckoon

I definitely think Ive lost my "omegh" accent since I left home. Not sure I intended to do it either, some people must just be influenced by those around them.

God help you if you try to improve the way you speak!

The Iceman

Its hard to not lose your accent when you live away from home - especially if you live somewhere where people don't understand a word you are saying and you have to repeat yourself all the time.  Your accent becomes neutral - you slow down and pronounce the words instead of mumbling and inserting "hi" before and after each sentence.

I still have my accent after 2 years away but notice some words changing and I have slowed down a lot
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

theskull1

Quote from: hardstation on January 13, 2009, 04:52:54 PM
Quote from: Downcamog on January 13, 2009, 04:50:29 PM
Friend from Dunloy and the conversations in her house are classic.
I could well imagine.

"You're marrying your cousin and that's final!"

Your ma's you're da ......as they say in Belfast
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ONeill

To be honest, I do look down on anyone with Dublin accents. Can't help it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Iceman on January 13, 2009, 05:56:09 PM
Its hard to not lose your accent when you live away from home - especially if you live somewhere where people don't understand a word you are saying and you have to repeat yourself all the time.  Your accent becomes neutral - you slow down and pronounce the words instead of mumbling and inserting "hi" before and after each sentence.

I still have my accent after 2 years away but notice some words changing and I have slowed down a lot
I agree to an extent.  We'd an Donegal boy work with us for a few weeks before Christmas and the English lads, although they understood us perfectly when we spoke to them, claimed that when we spoke to each other our accents became stronger and they were only catching every third word or so.  They also claim my accent is stronger and harder to understand when I've just been at home...and they were never too bad for opening their ears and catching what I was saying.  

(The Brummies are f**king desperate though, are half of them deaf or what maddog? No matter how slowly I taked or how clearly I pronunced my words I'd to repeat everything about four f**king times!  It was exhausting!)

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Hate the Belfast accent, cuts through me. Don't think I would be able to sit and have a conversation with HS, without getting angry.

As for Dunloy, I'll have you know my sister-in-law is from Dunloy. Nice accent.
Testing Accessibility