Memorable acts of sportsmanship in GAA games

Started by Hardy, January 12, 2009, 10:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

A thread is started about sportsmanship, yet the majority drag it down to the leve of unfounded rumour and sniping about opposing teams players.  >:(
Doesn't say an awful lot about sportsmanship in the GAA sadly.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

under the bar

QuoteNext time I get pinged for speeding, can I use this as a defence?

Possibly. Believe it or not, some speed cameras in the UK have been proven to be faulty.

I've been 'pinged' three times to date an have gotten off scott free each time!  ;D

SidelineKick

A quickie about that...when can I relax and think I have got off?? I was definitely caught by a cop with a camera about 2 months ago, can a sit back and smile or could the bastards hit me with it yet?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

full back

Quote from: under the bar on January 13, 2009, 09:39:51 AM
QuoteNext time I get pinged for speeding, can I use this as a defence?

Possibly. Believe it or not, some speed cameras in the UK have been proven to be faulty.

I've been 'pinged' three times to date an have gotten off scott free each time!  ;D

How did you manage that?

RMDrive

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 13, 2009, 09:42:29 AM
A quickie about that...when can I relax and think I have got off?? I was definitely caught by a cop with a camera about 2 months ago, can a sit back and smile or could the b**tards hit me with it yet?

I believe it can take up to 6 months before you get the knock on your door. Haven't experienced it myself yet thank God but that's what I have been told.

under the bar

QuoteI've been 'pinged' three times to date an have gotten off scott free each time! 

How did you manage that?

I said it wasn't me!  In the bit where you're asked to say who was driving said it 'possibly' may have been my dad or my brothers but couldn't be sure.  They wrote to them on one occasion only and they said the same thing asking to see the photgraphic evidence.  That was nearly 3 months ago and nothing heard yet.

ludermor

Quote from: Canalman on January 12, 2009, 04:01:58 PM

The exception was the 2007 semi final vs Mayo when the Mayo fans imo were obnoxious in victory......especially two t**ts who were mouthing off in the Palace Bar after the game. Very surprised as the Mayo lads in our club are the soundest lads around.

Can't wait to meet them again in the Championship.Would be even sweeter to beat them with a Fine Gaeler in charge.

The lads in your club are the exception, the rest of us are complete wankers just like the two twats in the palace bar.

Hardy

SS, I didn't say you drew definitive conclusions. I read what you said. I cautioned against drawing definitive conclusions. I'm not sure whether you're suggesting Gormley is not the classiest of individuals or not at the end of all this. Do you want to get definitive or not?

As regards your speeding question – No.

What puzzles me most in your post, though, is your devotion of a paragraph to my use of the phrase 'cause celebre'? Why does it impress you so much? And how in God's name did you remember it from another post? I certainly didn't. But, most of all, what's its relevance to what we're discussing?  I don't need you to correct my writing. Thanks.  

saffron sam2

Quote from: Hardy on January 13, 2009, 10:27:18 AM
SS, I didn't say you drew definitive conclusions. I read what you said. I cautioned against drawing definitive conclusions. I'm not sure whether you're suggesting Gormley is not the classiest of individuals or not at the end of all this. Do you want to get definitive or not?

I can't and won't be getting definitive. I don't know enough about the player in question to make any sort of definitive conclusion. As I said before the picture in question doesn't show him in a good light (or as not the classiest of individuals), I'll stand over that. I also take your point about the camera lying.

As regards your speeding question – No.

Thanks.

What puzzles me most in your post, though, is your devotion of a paragraph to my use of the phrase 'cause celebre'? Why does it impress you so much? And how in God's name did you remember it from another post? I certainly didn't. But, most of all, what's its relevance to what we're discussing?  I don't need you to correct my writing. Thanks. 

Admittedly a very short paragraph though. I was impressed by your original use of the phrase, in the same way that I have been impressed when other posters used words like 'transliteration', 'inveigled' and 'conflating'. I remembered it because a) I was impressed, b) in was in response to a post of mine and c) I have a good memory (except where Mick Lyons and Colm O'Neill were concerned - for which I have already apologised). In fairness, it is largely (or totally) irrelevant to the thread, but how many of the posts on this thread are. I have been one of the few posters who has given valid examples of sportsmanship and my involvement with the Conor Gormley issue came as a result of ziggy's input.

Whilst, not wanting to turn this issue into a cause celebre, I feel that it may lessen the impact of the term if it becomes frequently used. I was not trying to correct your writing, which in the main is among the most impressive on the board.

Now, getting back to the photo in question. Answer Sideline Kick's post. What do you think the player in question is doing? Do you think it shows the player in a good light.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

StGallsGAA

According to rumours, in the AI final this year, some of the Tyrone backs had Donaghy & Walshes bank account numbers written on the soles of their boots, which they could see every time they chased the ball.   Then when they went up to field a high ball, the backs would call out their date of birth & mothers maiden name. 

How they got this info is anybody's guess but a fella who used to get a lift to the pub with one of the Kerry players cousins reckons MI5 trained a PSNI GAA team squad member from Tyrone to tap their phones.

;D ;D MODS!?!?

ONeill

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 13, 2009, 08:22:47 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 07:37:33 PM
Reminds me of the time they accused Gormley lording it over Gavlin at the end of the All-Ireland Final. Someone was able to source a series of photos which showed that the paper only chose the one to make Gormley look bad.

Ziggy the fact that it was one photo or 100 photos makes no difference.  You can see quite clearly what he is doing and I thought you of all people would condemn this type of behaviour.

Sidelinekick - I have seen that clip countless times. Gormley could have been on the sideline, under the Cusack, on Jones' Rd as the final whistle was being sounded and having won the All-Ireland title after a titanic battle with Kerry, he would have reacted the exact same way, with fists clenched. It actually was a lust a millisecond, the initial reaction to he ref's peeper. It says absolutely nothing about Gormley except that he was rather pleased. If Galvin had been lying face up and Gormley was goading him, then yes. Galvin had just hit the ground after a blocked shot as this photo was taken. Gormley's speed of thought would need to be tremendous to purposely goad Galvin. If you watch the clip you'll see what I mean.

I've seen loads of instances of photos being anchored to give the preferred reading of the journalist/poster....

Brilliant photo though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

SS - The photo doesn't tell me what the player is doing. It doesn't cast any light on the player's character, for me. For instance, it doesn't tell me whether the standing player is moving his body towards or away from the player lying down or not moving at all. It is entirely plausible that he's photographed in an instant and an attitude that makes it look as though he's bending towards the other player and looking at him and in general shaped as though he's saying something to him. He could just as easily be getting up, moving away and moving his head from right to left or something. Even if he is saying something to him, I have no way of figuring out what it is from a photo.

As I said, I've learned, most strikingly from the Geraghty case I cited, not to trust still photographs when assessing an individual's actions.

johnneycool

Quote from: under the bar on January 13, 2009, 09:11:41 AM
According to rumours, in the AI final this year, some of the Tyrone backs had Donaghy & Walshes bank account numbers written on the soles of their boots, which they could see every time they chased the ball.   Then when they went up to field a high ball, the backs would call out their date of birth & mothers maiden name.  

How they got this info is anybody's guess but a fella who used to get a lift to the pub with one of the Kerry players cousins reckons MI5 trained a PSNI GAA team squad member from Tyrone to tap their phones.

I wouldn't recognise my own bank account on a bit of paper let alone scrawled on the bottom of a boot you'd only see glimpses of and if they called out my date of birth, I'd be expecting a card at least as they're bound to have my address if they know all that.  ;D

The lengths people go to.

One of the most memorable acts of sportsmanship has to be the opening of Croke park to both the FAI and IRFU as they'd be trapsing over to the millenium stadium/anfield or Celtic park if we didn't.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 07:37:33 PM
Reminds me of the time they accused Gormley lording it over Gavlin at the end of the All-Ireland Final. Someone was able to source a series of photos which showed that the paper only chose the one to make Gormley look bad.

Pity the thread has turned this way. Regarding the Gormley - Galvin incident, well Gormley was on the ground facing away from Galvin at the final whistle, got up and imo turned around to have a few words (or make a few noises like Joe McMahon) with Galvin.

A memorable act of sportsmanship was the Dubline corner back handing Mikey Sheehy the ball for that goal. Probably responsible for the current "you're not having the ball till I drop it" shenanigans to boot...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Rather pathetic lads that, even now, there are still those who attempt to impugn Conor Gormley on the sole basis of a microsecond of captured time, when neither malice nor aforethought can be anything like reliably deduced.

The Tyrone team so magnanimously affording the Meath team a guard of honour for the NFL game in 1997 (in Dungannon, I think),  now that's sportsmanship (or craven submissiveness, not quite sure which)!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...