Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

the sound was working previously when using either the xbox or sky+ box when I was using the HDMI cables but then stopped. But i'll check these settings to confirm just in case something has changed

BenDover

checked the settings and they're all fine. What do I need to use the optical output? Anything I can try?

Main Street

Quote from: BenDover on November 22, 2014, 09:07:01 AM
checked the settings and they're all fine. What do I need to use the optical output? Anything I can try?
You need a device with an amplifier, an optical input and speakers connected to make use of the optical outputs.

Maybe the universe is telling you it's time you got amplifier and speakers separates or connect your existing sound system in between sky box and tv. The tv speakers are low quality.
Probably the hdmi outputs on Skybox and Xbox are fine but something has gone wonky on the tv side, You have tried all the hdmi inputs on the tv and the hdmi cable is proven okay. Have you got any other device (dvd player, laptop, computer) with a hdmi output  you can test, connected to the tv?

It is possible that the Sky box can lose it capacity to emit sound on the scart or hdmi outputs, that's probably a defect component on the internal power supply unit, but it's unlikely that both boxes would contract the same issue at the same time.

Sandino

Hi Lads we have been given a Lenovo Tablet at work, it an Android, is there any way we can get windows to run on it? Sorry if this has been asked before but we would really need the windows function.

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

bennydorano

Another episode with my laptop that is near death - once i turn it on the screen wont come on, pure black (like it's still turned off), can hear the motor still working, thinking something simple to do with screen (like a brightness button on the tv, that the childer mite have got at?) Childer have better chance of fixin it than me. Any ideas??

Edit- blinking lights at CAPS LOCK & above the number pad

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on December 05, 2014, 08:09:31 PM
Another episode with my laptop that is near death - once i turn it on the screen wont come on, pure black (like it's still turned off), can hear the motor still working, thinking something simple to do with screen (like a brightness button on the tv, that the childer mite have got at?) Childer have better chance of fixin it than me. Any ideas??

Edit- blinking lights at CAPS LOCK & above the number pad

Did you try plugging an external monitor into it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

No, if I was capable of thinking like that I dont think this would be an issue, cant do it btw.

laceer

There's a small button that depresses when you open the laptop-should be along the top   of the keys. It can sometimes get something stuck in it which means the laptop thinks the screen is closed. What you're describing happened me before and brought it to be fixed twice before I figured it out! Worth checking

bennydorano

No cant see a button. Think it's something to do with the blinking lights, looks like it's in some sort of lockdown. wfi button wont come on either, laptop wont come on only on battery power- comes on with electricity & will then stay on if i remove power cable.)

Orior

Quote from: bennydorano on December 05, 2014, 09:40:06 PM
No, if I was capable of thinking like that I dont think this would be an issue, cant do it btw.

Why cant you plug in another monitor? Are you still living in a phonebox?

I think an external monitor is your only answer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Explain how & I'll try and have a go - imagine you're trying to explain it to your 87 year old Auntie Mable. :)

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on December 06, 2014, 03:04:42 PM
Explain how & I'll try and have a go - imagine you're trying to explain it to your 87 year old Auntie Mable. :)

Do you have a monitor and what is it currently connected to?

Orior

Look for a port on your laptop like the one below:

Take a monitor from an old PC, along wth the data (VGA) cable and the power cable.

Plug the power cable from the monitor into a power socket. Some monitor power cables connect into the PO procesor instead of the wall power socket. If that is the case, then take the power cable from the old PC instead.

Get the other (VGA) cable that was connected from the monitor to the PC and connect it to the laptop instead.

Make sure the monitor is switched on.

Turn on the laptop.

The laptop should find the external monitor and send output to it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Just realised I don't have a pc monitor :o :)

armaghniac

What type of laptop is it? Many modern laptops will plug into a TV using a HDMI cable, such as would connect a Blu-Ray player or a HD satellite box.