Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on August 06, 2014, 10:56:59 AM
ahem, cough,

anyone know where I might get a license key for a Windows 8 Enterprise x64 installation??

:-X

Microsoft Toolkit.

muppet

Got a few calls in the last couple of days from the following number 00905437370 (probably missing a digit or two).

An eastern accent aggressively talked about how there is a problem with my computer due to viruses. He claimed to be calling from Microsoft. I was away and my other half took the calls. Thankfully he annoyed her and she hung up.

But he rang back today. The number is a Turkish mobile number and his accent sounds Indian.

It is obviously a scam that won't catch anyone here out but I am would concerned if he phoned an elderly relative.

Here is a blog on the subject and reading the comments there are people who went at least some of the way towards being scammed.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes
MWWSI 2017

BenDover

Quote from: muppet on August 22, 2014, 02:31:38 PM
Got a few calls in the last couple of days from the following number 00905437370 (probably missing a digit or two).

An eastern accent aggressively talked about who there is a problem with my computer due to viruses. He claimed to be calling from Microsoft. I was away and my other half took the calls. Thankfully he annoyed her and she hung up.

But he rang back today. The number is a Turkish mobile number and his accent sounds Indian.

It is obviously a scam that won't catch anyone here out but I am would concerned if he phoned an elderly relative.

Here is a blog on the subject and reading the comments there are people who went at least some of the way towards being scammed.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes

the cousins wife got caught out by this, took control of their laptop and locked it down demanding a fee to have it unlocked.

Hardy

I get that every few months. One day I had little to do, so I strung him along for about ten minutes. When I gave up and told him I was taking the piss, he lost it. "You are a f**ker" he said, in impeccable enunciation with an Indian accent.

A lad with a Scottish accent called me yesterday about my Dyson. I told him I don't have a Dyson, whereupon he hung up with no comment. I looked it up - well known scam - apparently he (seems to be just one fella running this) comes and "services" your Dyson for €40. Service includes full electrical and fuse check, no less.

5 Sams

I Pad wont connect. Laptop, kindle, pc and two phones no issues. Went into settings on I Pad and all seems fine. I Pad telling me to check wifi connection when I try to connect to google. any advice?
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 22, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
I Pad wont connect. Laptop, kindle, pc and two phones no issues. Went into settings on I Pad and all seems fine. I Pad telling me to check wifi connection when I try to connect to google. any advice?

Can you see your wi-fi network listed as connected under the 'Wi-Fi' setting in Settings? If it isn't it should appear in the list of available networks but if it is listed as connected you should tap on the network and then select 'Forget this Network' and then reconnect to your wi-fi. You'll have to enter the wi-fi network's security key again.

Sometimes devices' leases on their network don't auto-renew and go bad, basically it's unlikely to be anything serious.

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 22, 2014, 09:50:48 PM

Turn off the others and do it again.
MWWSI 2017

5 Sams

Legend Syferus. GRMA
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

turned computer on there and it won't boot up!!

It states

there is a memory write/read failure at 4D122054, read 12DD12FD expecting 12FD12FD
To resolve the issue, try to reseat the memory
decreasing available memory
-

Works computer and I'm off all next week so no tec till following Tuesday and I'll need it for work purposes ffs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Dead RAM is what its telling you. Open PC, take out 1 stick of RAM and retry. Repeat until you find the bad RAM. You should be able to limp along on one stick until ur tech support is back in.

blewuporstuffed

Thinking about buying a new laptop to run Solidworks as my current one is really struggling with complicated assemblies.

Anyone any recomendations,?
Would like something decent without breaking the bank altogther
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on August 24, 2014, 02:27:33 PM
Dead RAM is what its telling you. Open PC, take out 1 stick of RAM and retry. Repeat until you find the bad RAM. You should be able to limp along on one stick until ur tech support is back in.

Cheers, will give it a go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Under Lights

Didn't know where to post this but looking to know if there were any graphic designers on the forum?

seafoid

I have a load of .3gp videos to convert to .wmv. Could someone recommend a converter ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

I'm looking a security package (Free or at a cost).  4 year old laptop.  I had AVG there for a 30 day trial and I noticed once the 30 days was up the performance of the computer improved no end, so I think I'm looking a security system that is easy on the CPU or whatever you IT guys would say.  Laptop is near bucked, but I think I could squeeze another year out of it.  Poor performance issues, but I do very little on it anyway.

Help appreciated as always.