Opps Harry did it again

Started by FermGael, January 10, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I know an asian fella who hated being called "paki", because he was Indian and hated "pakis" if you get my drift..............
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 12, 2009, 02:29:08 PM
Harry is a gobshite but then there are plenty of people on this site and in Ireland in general that go around calling travellers "knackers". Have a look at some of the comments on the traveller debate thread from a while back and see if many them are worse than Harry.

In the north, the Irish travelling community is legally recognised as an ethnic grouping. Therefore anyone who uses terms such as knackers or beggars in the north or in Britain is racist.

In the south, the Irish travelling community does not have such legal recognition. There anyone who uses terms such as knackers or beggars in the free state is simply being offensive, rather than racist.

Hope this clears things up.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ziggysego

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 12, 2009, 02:45:26 PM
Funny though how the Pakistani person Harry called a Paki didn't take offense, isn't it?

How do you know? He hasn't said anything.

His father and uncle weren't best pleased.
Testing Accessibility

Doogie Browser

If you watch the video the guy cannot hear the insult being said about him

SidelineKick

Quote from: hardstation on January 12, 2009, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 12, 2009, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 12, 2009, 02:29:08 PM
Harry is a gobshite but then there are plenty of people on this site and in Ireland in general that go around calling travellers "knackers". Have a look at some of the comments on the traveller debate thread from a while back and see if many them are worse than Harry.

In the north, the Irish travelling community is legally recognised as an ethnic grouping. Therefore anyone who uses terms such as knackers or beggars in the north or in Britain is racist.

In the south, the Irish travelling community does not have such legal recognition. There anyone who uses terms such as knackers or beggars in the free state is simply being offensive, rather than racist.

Hope this clears things up.
What about gypos?

Yeah they call them knackers too.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

saffron sam2

Gypos, tarmackers and rice krispies, when used to describe members of the travelling community, are all racist terms, assuming what I said in my previous post about legal recognition.

There may be other terms, which escape me now. I'll keep an ear to the ground for others.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

fitzroyalty

Quote from: ziggysego on January 12, 2009, 03:03:28 PM
Funny though how the Pakistani person Harry called a Paki didn't take offense, isn't it?

How do you know? He hasn't said anything.

His father and uncle weren't best pleased.

I read somewhere that in the apology statement from the royal family that Harry and the Asian lad were good friends, although the uncle/father (not sure who) said although he knew they had served together, he wasn't aware of them being friends. I would be suspicious as to whether that is true or not, and to whether it is an attempt to take some of the sting out of his comments. Surely your family members would know if you counted one of the royals as a personal friend?

Orior

I think its great that after every royal crisis the first person interviewed is their biographer who is obviously so far up queenie's arse that a positive spin is guaranteed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

It's something over nothing. He was having a bit of craic and someone with nothing better to do went crying to The News of the World and no doubt got their 30 pieces of silver for their trouble. Royal or not, he's a young lad who seems to have grown up the most normal out of the lot of them.

Next week the rspa will be equally offended by a royal killing a pheasant. Big deal! People are too easy offended these days and "human rights" are a stick to beat people with.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: hardstation on January 12, 2009, 03:11:55 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 12, 2009, 03:10:10 PM
rice krispies
Haven't heard that one in ages. Must start using it.

I'm glad you aspire to be as ignorant as Harry. Will your family be making a statement offering apologies?

Gnevin

You lot have a cheek to call people in down south west brits. Between the soccer threads and the obsession with the royal, you lot are unreal.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on January 12, 2009, 05:47:07 PM
You lot have a cheek to call people in down south west brits. Between the soccer threads and the obsession with the royal, you lot are unreal.

Ah leave them alone Gnevin. If my taxes were paying for some rich kids to booze it up all all the time and have no respect for the people that serve them I would want to talk about it  ;)

but i can see you point as a true Gael I would not have an interest in it  :D
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

ltrf, calling an Irish person is not racist.

To demonstrate what I mean, I will give 2 examples;  

1/ bloke working on a site in England says to Irish bloke, 'oi Paddy, pass me that shovel'

2/ oik#1 says to oik#2 'all Paddies are murdering terrorist scum'

example 1 isn't racist.
example 2 is.

It's a media storm over someone who is completely insignificant but because of the family he was born into he is in the media spotlight
I work in England and if someone said "oi paddy, pass me that shovel" he'd run the risk of getting it in the teeth!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GalwayBayBoy

Prince Charles has become the latest member of the Royal Family to be embroiled in a race row after it was reported he calls an Asian friend "Sooty".

The development comes a few days after his son Harry was widely condemned for calling a former Army colleague by an offensive name.

Charles has apparently been referring to Polo club friend Kolin Dhillon by the nickname Sooty for years.

Mr Dhillon is said to be "comfortable" with his moniker but Graham Smith, campaign manager for the organisation Republic, said: "I think it goes to show the Royal Family are not a symbol of unity, it's not something we can rally around, they're quite divisive.

"People are saying they are not racist but on the evidence in the public domain I think that's to the contrary.

"It also shows how hugely out of touch they are and that they live in a very isolated world, only mixing with a certain kind of person."

When asked about Charles' use of the nickname Sooty both Clarence House and Cirencester Polo Club declined to comment.