Late Late Show - GAA Special

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoghan Mag

The general notion nowadays is that the GAA is meant to be a bit more inclusive and if they saw fit to let Brush Shiels perform in Croke Park this is part of the new culture. It seems to me that some posters on here think you must have the GAA tattooed on your heart before you are allowed to be even let in the gate of a ground. Brush Shiels has as much right to be a fan as anyone else.

redcard

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on January 26, 2009, 12:22:19 AM
Anyone who knows anything about the Irish music scene will be aware of the form of Brush Shiels in that he taught Phil Lynott to play bass guitar and then he sacked Philo from his band Skid Row!
Quote from: AFS on January 26, 2009, 12:56:59 AM
Quote from: Eoghan Mag on January 26, 2009, 12:48:32 AM
The general notion nowadays is that the GAA is meant to be a bit more inclusive and if they saw fit to let Brush Shiels perform in Croke Park this is part of the new culture. It seems to me that some posters on here think you must have the GAA tattooed on your heart before you are allowed to be even let in the gate of a ground.Brush Shiels has as much right to be a fan as anyone else.
Pity he wouldn't exercise that right and actually go to games.

Pity he didnt give up music after that howler  :D

dodo

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on January 26, 2009, 12:48:32 AM
The general notion nowadays is that the GAA is meant to be a bit more inclusive and if they saw fit to let Brush Shiels perform in Croke Park this is part of the new culture. It seems to me that some posters on here think you must have the GAA tattooed on your heart before you are allowed to be even let in the gate of a ground. Brush Shiels has as much right to be a fan as anyone else.

I think you are missing the point Eoghan, in the eyes of the vast majority mad as a Brush is very much yesterday's man. Given the huge choice of artists available who in their right mind would of chosen him over the likes of Christy Moore, Mundy, Damian Dempsey, etc. As a Connacht man I was delighted to see the Saw Doctors perform.

INDIANA

Not when he goes on national tv and says he hasn't watched a game in yonks. Do us a favour if your going to present a show about the Gaa I would suggest the following

- have a presenter who knows something about the Gaa
- have a presenter who knows his guests (you wouldn't get that on any other TV station in the world)
- have musical artists who conform to the genre of the programme. anyone with half a braincell knows the FOA is a soccer/rugby song. Brush Sheilds knows as much about the Gaa as Kylie Minogue. It was cringeworthy.
- Don't have photos of the winning all-ireland captain stuck in the face of the losing captain on national TV. If Kenny had of ended up in A&E he couldn't have any complaints.
- Try and include the other code. You know hurling that game thats played sticks? No mention of the greatest player in the history of hurling Christy Ring, which is the equivalent of a soccer show leaving Pele out of it.
-No mention of camogie or women in general

It was supposed to be commemorating the 125th anniversary of the Gaa. ie a landmark date. The producers had no concept of how important it was. As a result they sent out a programme that was the equivalent of what Dell Boy and Rodney would throw out with a budget of 200 euro.

balladmaker

QuoteChristy Moore, Mundy, Damian Dempsey

Aye ye for real?  Mundy, Damien Dempsey.....how about legendary Irish performers such as The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones, Fureys, Christy, Liam Clancy etc etc etc

dodo

Quote from: balladmaker on January 26, 2009, 01:24:38 AM
QuoteChristy Moore, Mundy, Damian Dempsey

Aye ye for real?  Mundy, Damien Dempsey.....how about legendary Irish performers such as The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones, Fureys, Christy, Liam Clancy etc etc etc

I am for real, these guys are the here and now not the old washed up legends brigade, which good and all as they were the The Dubliners, The Fureys etc. are now. It may be of been the 125th anniversary celebration of the GAA but surely that doesn't mean dragging out the oldest swingers in town one last time.

Eoghan Mag

Some folks questioned the choice of musical guests and what links they had with the GAA. I pointed out some of the links that they do have even if one was a bit tenuous. If you liked the music or not is a matter for each individual to decide on their own.

Just because a song like the Fields of Athenry has become 'contected' to some other sport played in Ireland this does not make it any less 'Irish'. I would hate to be such a snob as to say that just because Molly Malone is sung at Rugby matches then it is somehow inferior or should not be regarded as 'Irish'. What I think is that except for the theme music of the Sunday Game or the Irish national anthem there is no one song that can be regarded as a universal GAA song. Perhaps this is something that the GAA could strive to have written prior to the 150th celebration as a SCOR project.

Zulu

Eoghan, I don't think anyone was too bothered about the fact that they weren't GAA related songs but the musical aspect of the show can't be taken in isolation. The music was only part of a disastrous show, as you say yourself whether you liked the music or not would be down to personal taste (though I'd doubt anyone thought Brush was any good) but the point everyone has made is that every facet of the show was unimaginative, mediocre at best and lacking in entertainment.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that a song has to be connected to the GAA for people on here to regard it as Irish but on a GAA celebration show the songs should probably be associated to the GAA. But I'm not be too bothered by that as long as the songs were good, for example you could have got some of the best traditional musicians from the four provinces to play a rousing number while a montage of great GAA moments was shown.

The problem with the Late Late show was that it looked like they gave the responsibility for the show to a college student doing his work experience but he didn't bother doing anything until the Thursday so he had to pull an all nighter, it was that bad.

donelli

Quote from: Zulu on January 26, 2009, 09:17:18 PM
Eoghan, I don't think anyone was too bothered about the fact that they weren't GAA related songs but the musical aspect of the show can't be taken in isolation. The music was only part of a disastrous show, as you say yourself whether you liked the music or not would be down to personal taste (though I'd doubt anyone thought Brush was any good) but the point everyone has made is that every facet of the show was unimaginative, mediocre at best and lacking in entertainment.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that a song has to be connected to the GAA for people on here to regard it as Irish but on a GAA celebration show the songs should probably be associated to the GAA. But I'm not be too bothered by that as long as the songs were good, for example you could have got some of the best traditional musicians from the four provinces to play a rousing number while a montage of great GAA moments was shown.

The problem with the Late Late show was that it looked like they gave the responsibility for the show to a college student doing his work experience but he didn't bother doing anything until the Thursday so he had to pull an all nighter, it was that bad.

heh some of my best work at college resulted from desperate all nighters!!!  ;D

Hound

I loved seeing Barney's last minute goal against Cork in 1983 again  ;D

Great composure shown by the 5 men (Canavan, Duff, Mullins, Hazely, Rock) in the move, and no panic even though the situation was perilous (somethin the current crop could do with learning!).

And of course it brought back all the fantastic memories of the trip to Cork for the replay...

Great show  8)

T Fearon

Was at that first Dublin Cork game myself.Along with the Dubs Roscommon semi in 1979 I would rate these as the best games I've seen in Croker not involving Armagh

croker

Tony  your living in the past forget 79 92 think of 2009!  ;)

leenie

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on January 26, 2009, 08:34:21 PM
Some folks questioned the choice of musical guests and what links they had with the GAA. I pointed out some of the links that they do have even if one was a bit tenuous. If you liked the music or not is a matter for each individual to decide on their own.

Just because a song like the Fields of Athenry has become 'contected' to some other sport played in Ireland this does not make it any less 'Irish'. I would hate to be such a snob as to say that just because Molly Malone is sung at Rugby matches then it is somehow inferior or should not be regarded as 'Irish'. What I think is that except for the theme music of the Sunday Game or the Irish national anthem there is no one song that can be regarded as a universal GAA song. Perhaps this is something that the GAA could strive to have written prior to the 150th celebration as a SCOR project.

the gaa and scor promotes irish culture and heritage........ Last yrs all ireland winning ballad group were suppose to be on the show and had been preparing for it, however r.t.e canceled them at the last minute.... ! scor is officially a part of the G.A.A so why if this was ignored would you have "some of the links" ?

and in my opinion brush sheils singing the fields of athenry is not a link!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

dodo

Quote from: leenie on January 27, 2009, 11:39:37 PM

the gaa and scor promotes irish culture and heritage........ Last yrs all ireland winning ballad group were suppose to be on the show and had been preparing for it, however r.t.e canceled them at the last minute.... ! scor is officially a part of the G.A.A so why if this was ignored would you have "some of the links" ?

and in my opinion brush sheils singing the fields of athenry is not a link!

The missing one ??

cornafean

Quote from: Eoghan Mag on January 26, 2009, 08:34:21 PM
What I think is that except for the theme music of the Sunday Game or the Irish national anthem there is no one song that can be regarded as a universal GAA song. Perhaps this is something that the GAA could strive to have written prior to the 150th celebration as a SCOR project.

In my opinion, the "Gaelic Games of Ireland" song (don't know the exact title) sung by the Aughagallon Ballad Group in Scor All Irelands around 1999/2000 was good enough to be promoted as a universal GAA song had anyone at top level been interested in doing so.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.