Late Late Show - GAA Special

Started by stephenite, January 08, 2009, 02:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

Eileen is the late Mick Dunne's daughter - she is involved with the GAA at National Level on their Social committee

leenie

when the late late was over, i was left wondering "what was that meant to be about".....

I have just come back from the ulster senior scor na og final, which is celebrating its 40 th birthday. It is a great outlet for displaying our Irish culture of our native songs, storytelling, dance and music and plays an important role of maintaining our national identity. The talent that was in silverbridge tonight was exceptional and anyone who takes part in scor does so because of the love they have for it, their clubs, their county and the G.A.A.  So why on this "so called celebration programme" did they have the saw doctors singing N17 and brush sheils singing the fields of anthery (more commonly found being sang by mass crowds at soccer games) is beyond me. As the Bean an Ti tonight, who i might add did a great job, pointed out they would need to come to a night like tonight to really see what talent there is in the G.A.A.
R.T.E would need to have a look at who their researchers are because they failed miserably, and didn't even touch the surface of what the G.A.A does or means to the people of Ireland.
To think they had eamon dunphy, brush sheils, bertie were sitting on stage while 3rd row seats were given to michael o muircheartaigh, sean og, sean kelly etc men who know, live, breathe the G.A.A. is just ridiculous .......
R.T.E messed up big time but they'll be bending over backwards to have the rights to show championship games because they know the level of support the G.A.A has they obviously just don't understand it!

Anyway can i just congratulate all those who won to tonight in scor and say it was a excellent night of entertainment!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

carribbear

Quote from: leenie on January 11, 2009, 03:01:49 AMR.T.E would need to have a look at who their researchers are because they failed miserably, and didn't even touch the surface of what the G.A.A does or means to the people of Ireland.
To think they had eamon dunphy, brush sheils, bertie were sitting on stage while 3rd row seats were given to michael o muircheartaigh, sean og, sean kelly etc men who know, live, breathe the G.A.A. is just ridiculous .......
R.T.E messed up big time but they'll be bending over backwards to have the rights to show championship games because they know the level of support the G.A.A has they obviously just don't understand it!

RTE is a bastion of the typical mentality of certain section of the irish nation. They don't understand what the GAA is and frankly don't care, they only put the games on for the ratings.

Personally I wouldnt let Sean Kelly speak at all as I despise him but Micheal O Muircheartaigh is one person that certainly should be given a more prominent focus with his years of knowledge. Brush sheils FFS. Who sings the Fields of Athenry at GAA games? it defies belief.

When I heard this was scheduled you didn't need to be Mystic Meg to guess it was going to be a trainwreck.

his holiness nb

Letting Brush Shields on to represent Dublin was an embarrasment. FFS he even admitted he never goes to games anymore.
Cringed all the way through it.
Ask me holy bollix

BeanPháidín

All of a sudden Pat Kenny has an interest in GAA?
I only ever remember him interviewing Graham Geraghty and Paddy Cullen to get the scoop on some smut gossip and lies.

I'd be a bit suspicious he's got a squatters eye on Croke Park.
Watch this space

comethekingdom

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 10, 2009, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on January 10, 2009, 08:45:45 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 10, 2009, 08:38:03 PM
MK's happy because they were drooling over Kerry.

i agree ziggy it was a bit of a kerry/dublin love in..

Suppose with both teams in the doldrums, they required something to cheer them up Ziggysego ;)

Dublin maybe but us?
the fact is that Kerry have always been a focal point of intercounty AI football and can be deservedly mentioned in shows like this. The nordie teams have only come to the fore in the last few years and have only won a handful of titles between them. Get over it lads!

Gaffer

Quote from: comethekingdom on January 11, 2009, 11:27:59 AM

Suppose with both teams in the doldrums, they required something to cheer them up Ziggysego ;)

Dublin maybe but us?
the fact is that Kerry have always been a focal point of intercounty AI football and can be deservedly mentioned in shows like this. The nordie teams have only come to the fore in the last few years and have only won a handful of titles between them. Get over it lads!

If the programme had been about the future of the GAA , it would be exclusively about the ' nordie teams' ;D ;D ;D
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

comethekingdom

Quote from: Gaffer on January 11, 2009, 11:42:49 AM
Quote from: comethekingdom on January 11, 2009, 11:27:59 AM

Dublin maybe but us?

If the programme had been about the future of the GAA , it would be exclusively about the ' nordie teams' ;D ;D ;D

One nordie team maybe? There's not much else up there! ;)

longrunsthefox

certainly it was a Kerry-Dublin love in. The west barely got a mention either nor the Rebels and all their great hurlers down the years  nor Crossmaglen.....   

An Laoch

Quote from: carribbear on January 11, 2009, 03:20:08 AM
Who sings the Fields of Athenry at GAA games? it defies belief

I've heard Dubs fans sing it on the hill :)

thebandit

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
certainly it was a Kerry-Dublin love in. The west barely got a mention either nor the Rebels and all their great hurlers down the years  nor Crossmaglen.....   

When Peter Quinn tried to expand on 'the northern issue' Pat cut him off. The reality is that what happened in the north for 35 years barely affected the majority of the population in the 26 counties, and that for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event than the deaths of Hogan, McAnespie, Brown or the occupation of St Oliver Plunkett Park.

Main Street

Quote from: magickingdom on January 10, 2009, 08:13:07 PM
the late late show is a mass appeal light entertainment show, thats all. last night was very good imo but obviously a light entertainment show can barely scratch the fringes of what an organisation like the gaa is all about. some of ye need to get a grip and give up the gripe ;D
We know the LLS is light entertainment, does that mean we have to tolerate sloppy editing, production, direction and presentation.
The point is that those individuals should not have been let near producing and directing a GAA tribute show.
That's the state tv station's official tribute to the GAA.

orangeman

Quote from: thebandit on January 11, 2009, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 PM

When Peter Quinn tried to expand on 'the northern issue' Pat cut him off. The reality is that what happened in the north for 35 years barely affected the majority of the population in the 26 counties, and that for most people on the island, Mikey Sheehy's overrated chip was a far more significant event than the deaths of Hogan, McAnespie, Brown or the occupation of St Oliver Plunkett Park.

I suppose it depends where you come from. But I'd have to agree with you. Short memories and and all that.

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Anybody else notice Pat Kenny referring to "the beautiful game" (as in soccer) 2/3 times during to show? An insufferable tit of the highest order.

ziggysego

Heard him say it a few times. Surprised no one pulled him on it. At least we can rely on TG4 to provide us with something special. How did we survive without it?
Testing Accessibility