Money Well Spent ?

Started by amigo, January 07, 2009, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigo

Fireworks display planned for league opener
07 January 2009

The GAA will spend close to EUR500,000 on a fireworks display before the start of the opening National Football League game between Dublin and Tyrone at Croke Park on January 31.

The glamour tie, which will be played under floodlights (throw-in 7.30pm) and broadcast live on Setanta, will mark the beginning of the GAA's 125th anniversary celebrations with live music and a fireworks display. Given the current economic climate, however, the cost of the display is sure to be questioned by clubs and county boards around the county.

When the two sides also met in the opening game of the 2007 NFL at Croke Park for the official unveiling of the new floodlights, a near capacity crowd of 81,678 was present. However, only a small percentage of the crowd was present for the 'switching on' of the floodlights and a performance by Tuam band The Saw Doctors beforehand.

brokencrossbar1

Give it 5 minutes and there will be Fireworks of another kind!!!!

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 07, 2009, 03:51:43 PM
Give it 5 minutes and there will be Fireworks of another kind!!!!

Boom boom. Meant to ask on the stupid question on non-gaa, how can a fireworks display cost that much for five odd minutes?

JMohan

Does no one round South Armagh have any stuff left over that wasn't decommissioned that Headquarters could use and save a few bob?

armagh leg-end

cant even watch it live on regular tv!
Ard Mhacha Abu

supersarsfields

It's a hard one to know what to make of this. 500,000 EUR is big money. But I suppose it's not a regular occurrence and should add to the atmosphere for the night. I know the GAA get slated on here for not doing enough promotion of some games tho they might have went slightly over board on this.

But sure on a lighter note, at least it'll give the boycotting Jackeens something to watch from outside with their placards

RMDrive

Aaarrrgggghhh! This is such a waste of money FFS. Sure couldn't you get U2 to sing a few songs for that money. Or maybe push the boat out completely and get Daniel.
Can't see myself being convinced that this is a good idea.

Tyrone Dreamer

The fireworks will be part of the marketing of the event and should help to increase the attendance (although the increase is unlikely to cover 500k). Still its one off expenditure and part of the celebrations of a significant date in the gaa's history so I think it can be justified.

I would doubt though that the figure of EUR500,000 is correct. Seems an awful lot for fireworks, will be some display if true!

The GAA

Laughable waste of money in this economic climate.

In a wider question, what is the big deal about our 125th anniversary. have a mass said and get on with the games!
there's a fortune been wasted the length and breadth of the country this year with each county and even some clubs having 125th committees. load of ballsology.

GalwayBayBoy

Sandy Hill

Quote from: amigo on January 07, 2009, 03:21:55 PM
Fireworks display planned for league opener
07 January 2009

The GAA will spend close to EUR500,000 on a fireworks display before the start of the opening National Football League game between Dublin and Tyrone at Croke Park on January 31.

The glamour tie, which will be played under floodlights (throw-in 7.30pm) and broadcast live on Setanta, will mark the beginning of the GAA's 125th anniversary celebrations with live music and a fireworks display. Given the current economic climate, however, the cost of the display is sure to be questioned by clubs and county boards around the county.

When the two sides also met in the opening game of the 2007 NFL at Croke Park for the official unveiling of the new floodlights, a near capacity crowd of 81,678 was present. However, only a small percentage of the crowd was present for the 'switching on' of the floodlights and a performance by Tuam band The Saw Doctors beforehand.

FFS, what a waste!
"Stercus accidit"

thebandit

If the pitch invasions cost €200k are they not worried about fireworks damaging the pitch?

Zulu

I think this is an excellent idea, it seems the GAA is damned if you damned if you don't. €500K isn't a huge amount and the capacity crowd and extra revenue generated by the increased crowd (food, drink, programmes etc.) will surely cover it. This is a game to mark the 125th anniversary of our organization and it appears some lads want to treat it the same as if it were any old occasion, if anything I'd put more money in and get a Traveling Wilburies (Irish version) type band to play beforehand - for example Bono, Shane McGowan,Van Morrisson etc. to get the crowd in and have a bit of a celebration prior to the game. Think big, I say and f**k the begrudger's.

thebandit

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2009, 10:23:18 PM
if anything I'd put more money in and get a Traveling Wilburies (Irish version) type band to play beforehand - for example Bono, Shane McGowan,Van Morrisson etc. to get the crowd in and have a bit of a celebration prior to the game. Think big, I say and f**k the begrudger's.

Now you're talking :)

Tyrone Dreamer

It is expensive but I am all for the gaa looking at better ways of marketing its games. You only have to look at the NFL in America to see what hype and entertainment can do. As Zulu says if the marketing can help bring 15-20,000 extra in and spending money it should more or less cover itself. The gaa have known about some kind of celebration for years and have obviously set a fund aside. Should be a good night.