What is a Third Man Tackle

Started by tonesfirstandlast, January 06, 2009, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 94

Quote from: heganboy on January 08, 2009, 05:37:50 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 08, 2009, 04:51:14 PM
someone with a bit of cop on help me out here.

as Jack once said
Quotethink of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

Yeah and one of my favourites:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Spirit of 94

heganboy

ok, so I think there's no third man tackle rule, you believe its there by implication and ref's should interpret the rules to apply it.
I think that's it in a nutshell. Can't we just agree to disagree?
maybe even without boldface type and smiley faces?

The GAA

Yes, but a tackler taking out a passer after he shifts the ball on is not a "third man tackle" by any definition, as spirit espouses. its a late tackle.

Hardy

The GAA

Not in the sat night in the back of the taxi way, no.

Spirit of 94

Quote from: heganboy on January 09, 2009, 04:28:14 PM
ok, so I think there's no third man tackle rule, you believe its there by implication and ref's should interpret the rules to apply it.

Why........is it because they highlight YOUR mistake, the one you haven't even been big enough to admit yet.

Spirit of 94

Quote from: The GAA on January 09, 2009, 04:38:54 PM

Yes, but a tackler taking out a passer after he shifts the ball on is not a "third man tackle" by any definition, as spirit espouses. its a late tackle.

From Hogan Stand (again) January 2005

Then you have the third man tackle or taking the passer out of the one-two pass. In soccer parlance this is called the wall pass where the man passing gives a simple give and go pass in the belief he will get it back when the opponent in the middle is bypassed. In GAA this practice is a recent enough development whereby the passer was blocked, hindered and very often 'taken out'.

Be good enough to do a modicum of research to support your views before running off at your keyboard.

Uladh

Quote from: Spirit of 94 on January 10, 2009, 12:36:11 PM
Then you have the third man tackle or taking the passer out of the one-two pass. In soccer parlance this is called the wall pass where the man passing gives a simple give and go pass in the belief he will get it back when the opponent in the middle is bypassed. In GAA this practice is a recent enough development whereby the passer was blocked, hindered and very often 'taken out'.

That's not a third man tackle nor a distant cousi of one.

P.S. don't embarrass yourself by claiming to have done research by reading hoganstand. that's like claiming to be an expert on current affairs by watching blue peter

Spirit of 94

Quote from: Uladh on January 10, 2009, 12:43:42 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 94 on January 10, 2009, 12:36:11 PM

That's not a third man tackle nor a distant cousi of one.

P.S. don't embarrass yourself by claiming to have done research by reading hoganstand. that's like claiming to be an expert on current affairs by watching blue peter

You haven't even had the good manners to give your definition of a third man tackle.  I'm not claiming to be an expert but, unlike yourself, I'll back my opinions with any material available, be it the Offical Rules or Hoganstand. Seeking out information, from whatever source, qualifies as research. Running of opinions without backing them up is called slabberin.

Uladh

Jaysus you're a touchy young fella

Slabberin is when you talk nonsense continually.

following through on a man who has passed the ball is not a third man tackle in anyone's language. i wasn't aware that i had to come up with some other piece of unrelated information to be entitled to express that view?

what is it your looking for? a definition of the third man tackle?

i think this thread has illustrated to you that there is no such thing as a third man tackle under GAA rules so a definition would be impossible.

if you're askin for my understanding of what a third man tackle is i would view it as a player from either team getting involved in the contact when a tackler is engaged with the fella carrying the ball.

heganboy

Quote from: Spirit of 94 on January 10, 2009, 12:24:36 PM

Why........is it because they highlight YOUR mistake, the one you haven't even been big enough to admit yet.
please clarify

Spirit of 94

Quote from: heganboy on January 12, 2009, 07:53:55 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 94 on January 10, 2009, 12:24:36 PM

please clarify

Fed up with this. Let's agree to disagree.

I see Ballyhegan have advertised for a manger. Any big name candidates yet?

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: criostlinn on January 06, 2009, 08:58:23 PM
My reading of it is,

When one man lays off a pass to a team mate. He makes a run to either receive a pass back or join the attack, and is taken out off it by someone from the opposing team.  I suppose when a player is tackled when he doesn't have the ball, but is making a run.

i couldnt have put it better myself. we were toaght that in school, but then it was quickly frowned upon, it seems to have cleaned up a bit now, and it does get punished. although, if you do it in a subtle manner it can often go unnoticed! ;) after all you dont have to take a man out, just a litttle 'push' to stop his momentum does the job just as well.