Setting up a club website

Started by donelli, January 06, 2009, 02:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 06, 2009, 03:40:18 PM
The GAA have their own content mamangement system already set up that clubs and counties can use.
I think all you have to do is get your club secretary to register your club details and provide club colours and crests and they do everything for you.
They then provide you with web address like www.myclub.gaa.ie. There will also be a link to your club from the GAA.ie site.
They give you manuals on how to update it and I think it is very straightforward.

Here is the link on the official GAA site for all the info.

http://www.gaa.ie/page/gaa_websites.html

If it was me I would go with this.....why re-invent the wheel thats what I say.

well if  the wheel is round and the tyre's inflated thats one thing, if its square and flat I might have another go at it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

screenexile

Cheers Noel but I'm just looking at a few things at the minute but when the site is up I will more than likely come back to you thanks.

I got the GAA pack there and it really is primitive and isn't what I'm looking for at all. I do like the domain name and the fact that it will store all the content but is there any way I canuse joomla or wordpress to design the site but still keep the free domain name and hosting? I notice antrim.gaa.ie and a few others have their sites hosted on gaa.ie but don't use their content management system. How can I do this?

wherefromreferee?

I think Screen Exile likes the word 'primitive'

Twice in 2 days
In your Endo!

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2009, 04:15:54 PM
Cheers Noel but I'm just looking at a few things at the minute but when the site is up I will more than likely come back to you thanks.

I got the GAA pack there and it really is primitive and isn't what I'm looking for at all. I do like the domain name and the fact that it will store all the content but is there any way I canuse joomla or wordpress to design the site but still keep the free domain name and hosting? I notice antrim.gaa.ie and a few others have their sites hosted on gaa.ie but don't use their content management system. How can I do this?

The Antrim site is not hosted on the gaa.ie servers. 
The antrim.gaa.ie subdomain is just pointing to the server where it is hosted.

screenexile

AH! Yeah that sounds like a fairly normal thing and now I feel like an even bigger idiot than when I started this project.

Thanks ME anyway.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 08, 2009, 08:56:00 AM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 07, 2009, 04:35:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 07, 2009, 04:15:54 PM

The Antrim site is not hosted on the gaa.ie servers. 
The antrim.gaa.ie subdomain is just pointing to the server where it is hosted.
I assume special permission has to be granted to allow the nameservers for gaa.ie subdomains to be pointed away from its normal hosting. Do you know if clubs are allowed to do this or are they stuck with the current CMS the GAA has for them?
Don't know if clubs can avail of it or not.  It would leave it a long domain name for a club if they were using it.  E.g. portglenone.antrim.gaa.ie

amallon

The GAA's CMS is very limited as has been said before but I think I read somewhere that there is a major update in the pipeline.  It has a couple of things going for it.   Its free hosting (not that hosting is dear these days).  If you don't want to register a domain name you can use yourclubname.county.gaa.ie which is quite long but it will get you there.  If your county are setup with sportmanager.ie in theory you should be able to pull your clubs fixtures and results automatically from the county's website.  Down are in the process of rolling this out but I think Derry are much further down the line with this and maybe a Derry club website admin could tell us if this works.

Another problem I have with the GAA's web hosting is that when I redirect www.mayobridge.com to http://mayobridge.down.gaa.ie my news can't be displayed because of a cookies problem.  Everything works fine when I use http://mayobridge.down.gaa.ie
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Bud Wiser

In the name of jesus how much help do you need to build a website.  This program is better than that, this costs this and this costs that..  You are talking about €65 a year for jaysus sake.  I am a complete thick as far as computers are concerned simply because my school had a pot bellied stove and a pot bellied teacher and the only mouse in the place was the mouse we fired bits of chalk at.  I am 59 and never had anyone teach me which is why I am as they say computer illeterate, yet I could string together the guts of a site (www.fennetec.com) using www.homestead.com without much trouble, simply because it isn't trouble. Ye are all young lads for gods sake, it should be a piece of cake to go and build a website and stop crying about how much it costs.  You would think the way ye are talking you had to build a site laying concrete blocks after digging it out with a spade. The local bicycle shop, nude cleaning service, used frying oil collector, red diesel delivery man, ostrich egg seller or anyone including myself would gladly pay your years subscription for a banner add on the site or a link add.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 08, 2009, 11:20:08 AM
In the name of jesus how much help do you need to build a website.  This program is better than that, this costs this and this costs that..  You are talking about €65 a year for jaysus sake.  I am a complete thick as far as computers are concerned simply because my school had a pot bellied stove and a pot bellied teacher and the only mouse in the place was the mouse we fired bits of chalk at.  I am 59 and never had anyone teach me which is why I am as they say computer illeterate, yet I could string together the guts of a site (www.fennetec.com) using www.homestead.com without much trouble, simply because it isn't trouble. Ye are all young lads for gods sake, it should be a piece of cake to go and build a website and stop crying about how much it costs.  You would think the way ye are talking you had to build a site laying concrete blocks after digging it out with a spade. The local bicycle shop, nude cleaning service, used frying oil collector, red diesel delivery man, ostrich egg seller or anyone including myself would gladly pay your years subscription for a banner add on the site or a link add.
Thats fine for that type of a website which is not updated regularly.  For a club site which should be updated regular, that method would soon become a nightmare to update, with bits being stuck in here and there and become hard to navigate. 
For a club site a CMS solution is the only way to go. 

Would clubs have any budget for initially setting up the site?

Estimator

Quote from: cornerback on January 06, 2009, 03:54:15 PM
Quote from: Mac Eoghain on January 06, 2009, 02:54:08 PM
I wouldnt say good but it does the job : http://www.moy-gfc.com - developed using Dreamweaver & ColdFusion. Im sure the programming is like a spaghetti junction by now but try and work out what exactly you want from the site, the hardest part of building a site isnt the programming or development, it is getting the content together which has to go onto it and a decent PRO who will give you regular information for updating.

And that's were the plan all falls apart, screenexile  :P

They used to have one
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

Anyone have any idea how I can get my site to appear on Google when people search for Ballinascreen GAA?? I remember filling out some kind of request form at the time yet the site will still not appear. All help appreciated thanks.

Mhic Easmuint

Whats the address of the website?
Most sites are usually picked up by google itself providing it is search engine friendly. 

screenexile

ballinascreen.derry.gaa.ie

Yeah I'm not really sure how to make it search engine friendly either. Any tips?

Mhic Easmuint

Thats part of the GAA CMS.  You will be limited to what you can do with it.  (I've never actually used it but would say you have little control over most things)
Submitting to the various search engines is probably your best bet. 
How long is it since you submitted it?  Sometimes takes a while before it is listed.

DennistheMenace

<title>Ballinascreen</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />

Not sure if that means you have no keywords, does it give you the option in the CMS ?