Author Topic: Android Boxes  (Read 123821 times)

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: Android Boxes
« Reply #1395 on: October 02, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
 I'm  10 weeks or so with Vaders tv and so far so good.  I got a message from them on the 20th sept, that they are not taking on any new subscribers after 2 or 3 weeks until they "stabilize the service and add new features". Current subscribers will not be affected.
One big added plus is that with the basic subscription  you can have it set up on 5 devices and with 3 different ISPs.
This is convenience on a platter, for example I'll be able to watch the Monaghan senior final live on tg4 this sunday, while traveling.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 09, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
Anybody gone the full hog and bought an Android television? I'm about to upgrade my TV and I've been playing around with the idea, I only see positives but I'm sure there are negatives..

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: October 09, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
Anybody gone the full hog and bought an Android television? I'm about to upgrade my TV and I've been playing around with the idea, I only see positives but I'm sure there are negatives..

The recommendation is generally not to. Get an Nvidia shield instead.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 09, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »
Yeah the early ones were clunky, buggy and relatively slow but I'm reading good things about the newer Sony ones.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 09, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »
Yeah the early ones were clunky, buggy and relatively slow but I'm reading good things about the newer Sony ones.

Even the premium Sony ones are meant to be a disaster in terms of usability compared to WebOS on LG or Tizen on Samsung, but of course you get the full access to the Android ecosystem.

The TCL TVs that are selling out like mad on Amazon US have Roku built in, and have read/watched a lot of reviews that say it's by far the best TV navigation experience.

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 09, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
Anyone got any recommendations for a good IPTV box. I've got an android, which I hate. EPG is awful and a zgemma which I like. I'm thinking of changing the android and unsure as to whether I should get a Mag 254 or a second zgemma. Any suggestions?
Careful now

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 09, 2018, 09:32:44 PM »
Anyone got any recommendations for a good IPTV box. I've got an android, which I hate. EPG is awful and a zgemma which I like. I'm thinking of changing the android and unsure as to whether I should get a Mag 254 or a second zgemma. Any suggestions?

I have a zgemma that I love too, I like the 'Sky'like feel of it but maintainance can be tedious... If you want a secondary device the firestick is a cheap low maintenance option..

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:06 PM »

Even the premium Sony ones are meant to be a disaster in terms of usability compared to WebOS on LG or Tizen on Samsung, but of course you get the full access to the Android ecosystem.

The TCL TVs that are selling out like mad on Amazon US have Roku built in, and have read/watched a lot of reviews that say it's by far the best TV navigation experience.

I'll be honest I'd never heard of TCL theyre certainly food for thought.

straightred

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 09, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »

Do you need a new tv any time soon ? I got a LG Smart TV and have it running IPTV on the Smart IPTV app. It has an ariel feed for Saorview, a satellite feed for Freesat and RJ45 for Broadband. Everything on one remote and no extra boxes.

i've a dreamlink box in the other room that works well as well but its an extra remote (that goes missing)

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 09, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »

I'll be honest I'd never heard of TCL theyre certainly food for thought.

The European models are different from the US ones - edge lit Vs FALD, but pretty much a consensus that you can't get better for the price