Secondary School Teaching

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 13, 2006, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Dempsey

Anyone here a secondary School Teacher. Thinking about applying for a h.dip. Must be a better life than working 9-5 for a computer firm.

daffy

Heya Jack

A good profession, worthy of more respect than it gets these days, from management, kids, parents or government.

All I'd say is go in with your eyes open. I went in for teaching wanting quite simply to teach. In my eyes that was imparting knowledge that was interesting, useful, and accessible to kids.

Unfortunately, imparting knowledge for the improvement of the child, to give a little kowledge and to increase their desire to learn(which is the best expression I can think of to sum up what I wanted to do, even though it sounds silly) is a minor part of the job. Paperwork, teaching to the test, and discipline are the major part of the job. All three took the heart out of me so make sure you're tough, without preconcieved notions which arent accurate in todays world, organised, and can manage little people - harder in my opinion than managing adults, though possibly not as ignorant as adults sometimes. The worst part of the job is low level misbehaviour - not the kid whos climbing the curtains, thats grand you can deal with that, but the kid who constantly constantly constantly undermines your authority in minor ways, too small to punish harshly, but so constant that it is wearing. That was the worst.

My best advice would be to try a little sub teaching or classroom assistant for even a short time, just to make sure its for you. if it is, go for it and good luck.

No specific advice I can give on the Hdip as that wasnt my route.

Jack Dempsey

Some good stuff there Daffy. Cheers

Farrandeelin

I always thought you were a Primary School teacher daffey.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Teaching is not for everybody. If you don't have the right type of personality, schoolkids will walk all over you. Definitely try it out before you make any type of commitment.

screenexile

I've just started the hDip equivalent over in England here and I would have to agree with what daffey says. It's still very early doors for me but it would seem that all the notions o bettering children's lives have been lost in the endless statistical analysis of pupils previous grades and what they should achieve and why haven't you gotten this student such a grade and so on.

As for the low level misbehaviour!! God I couldn't agree more, I'm taking a 3rd year class at the moment (15 yr olds) and while all the children are nice I just cannot get them to shut up and spend most of my time shouting over them. I'm still new to all the techniques that you can use to counteract this but at the minute they're impossible.... oh and you should try teaching a class after dinnertime, they all eat about 10 bags of skittles beforehand and go up the walls!!!

Anyway I'm getting sidetracked here, after I struggled for a few lessons my heart went out of it a bit but one good lesson last week has got me motivated again and helped me realise it's what  I want to do so I'd say the best thing for you to do is get a bit of experience and see if it's what you want. Good luck!

Jack Dempsey

Well applicants have to be in by December. Cant really afford to chuck current job and get some practice in and then not get a spot on a course next Sept.

daffy

Teaching is definitely not for everybody, J70 is quite right. But then you can be well suited in many ways and have difficulty in one area and it messes things up. I was good at teaching, when I got to teach, my downfall was discipline. I had a tough school with some behavioural problems and that probably wasnt a good start, put me off for life I fear! But then, a stronger person might have kept going and got on top of all that and held sway over the class. Certainly no compliment to me that I couldnt handle it. Looking back I went in assuming kids couldnt be that bad, unfortunately, they can be, and I wasnt hard headed enough to deal with that.

It was secondary English Farrandeelin, in a high school out near bangor. With media studies, computing (??) and a few other subjects thrown in for good measure.

And yes, classes after break and lunch are madness, all high on colours and E numbers, add those lovely ingredients to a few kids with ADHD who wont take their medication and you have an interesting time.

A good lesson bouys you up, thats true, I miss that, but I have no regrets.

supersarsfields

Another point to mention is that there were 17,500 applicants for 1100 teaching jobs. Getting started and getting a permanant post isn't that easy.

Orior

I'm married to a school teacher. It does have its benefits. If I dont do it just right, she makes me do it again and again and again until its perfect  ;)
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Farrandeelin

Well hopefully in 2 years time I will have my own classroom, as I'm studying to be a Primary teacher now. :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

daffy

Farrandeelin, best of luck to you. I was too late to apply for the primary course but would have preferred it, looking back I should have waited a year and gone for it, but sure I'm happy enough doing what I'm doing these days.

Good point about jobs. Most of my classmates from the pgce course are out of work, temping, getting a day subbing here or there, working at something else, or gone to England. Very few jobs here. Some of them are still applying and going for interviews and we graduated a few years ago. I think you need to get into a school as a sub or a temp and excel at your work, then when they advertise you're earmarked.

Jack, I'd still really try to get experience of some sort somehow, even if its taking a day off work here and there to sit in on classes or something, many teachers would be happy to help you out.

screenexile

Phew! Just out of the afternoon class that I have there and by god it went soooo much better.

Just wanted to say that you should probably think about applying to teaching in England Jack as I think it will be able to equip you better for coming home. I've spoken to a lot of people about moving home but the job scene is mental. My own theory is that lads want to play GAA professionally but need some way of supporting themselves but see Teaching as the best way to do it. Is it any wonder why St. Mary's teaching College have a strong Sigerson team with such a smaller pick than the other Universities.

Anyway back to my main point. I think the way to do it is to get your PGCE over here (With your educational grant), and then apply to jobs at home and in England. If you don't get one at home then work in England building up your CV and you'll get something eventually. That's what I plan on doing anyway as I don't fancy hanging around here for the rest of my life!!!

The only problem I can see with that is that most jobs at home are pretty much already decided and interviews are just a formality. I've heard of situations where headmasters have taken the CV of a particular sub teacher they liked and devised an advertisement and job description to get her in! THe teaching game is a lot about who you know IMO.

Sean3

Jack,

I did the H Dip many moons ago. Some of the following might be useful.

Have you got a school sorted for your teaching practice? Some schools are known for giving H Dip's a chance and even for giving a few quid for extra hours.

You learn far more from other teachers in the staffroom than you will from the theory in the lecture theatre. Teachers will give you a dig out with tips etc

Discipline is the key. If you can't run a tight ship (no smiling till after Christmas) then forget about it. Again a supportive school will help you to grow into that.

Whatever you say in class be prepared to follow through with it - otherwise don't say it.

What subjects do you plan to teach? Some subject teachers are far more in demand than others.

Be prepared to put in the long graft at subbing and temping before any permanent post comes your way. That can be demoralising.

Best of luck!

john mcgill

I have a bit of experience of teaching in different schools and countries and have found that a supportive staff is essential.  Supply teaching will help you work out the schools with good SMT and happy staffrooms.  Teaching can be stressful but after 25 years at it I think its the best job in the world.
When you get into the school, show willing, get involved in extra curricular activities and talk to the pupils, get to know them as individuals.  This pays off as the people who give out the jobs pick up on the extra you give.  Very few Principals appoint teachers they don't know, there's too much at stake.  It's young people's education and future life that you are affecting.
Personally I believe that its about relationships more than having a first in your degree.  if you don't enjoy children, teaching is not the job for you.
Finally flexibility is the name of the game as subject boundaries are being dissolved and if you have two or three subjects then you will be more employable than the single subject person, that is unless you have physics or maths as your subject!
Good luck