Author Topic: Car Problems!!  (Read 79109 times)

trailer

• View Profile
Re: Car Problems!!
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »
Anyone have any experience on where I stand with this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right car all of sudden wouldnt start and had to be towed to the mechanics. Needed it fixed quick as we were going on holidays. Mechanic says no chance, so as its a Discovery, and the fact the mechanic knew we were on holidays, I reckon he didnt even look at it for a couple of weeks bar checking to see if it was anything simple. Well it turns out it was, it was filled to the neck with petrol instead of diesel. He didnt notice at first because when he checked the fuel lines there was still diesel in them. The petrol station we got the fuel from is in Donegal, and we have a pretty good relationship with them as we have an account and get all the vehicles from work filled there and would never have them filled anywhere else. So I let them know the bad news the other day and they were quite defensive. Said the cctv doesnt go back that far. I asked what does that prove, as they aren't disputing they filled it up on that date as it was signed for?? They asked to bring a sample of the fuel down, and as soon as the car is fixed I have about 60 litres to bring back to them! Other than them saying I could have got it filled up elsewhere, which would be a stupid thing to say considering the relationship, not to mention the fact you would just go to the garage that actually filled it up, I dont know what there POV is? So far it has cost me the fuel and at least £200 with the mechanic. I would be expecting at least the cost of the fuel back, but in truth would also expect them to cover the cost of the repair, though I expect this is going to be a struggle. If thats the case could you make a claim against their insurance? Anyone any idea where I stand on this? Some people have said they think it will be tough luck, but I just dont see why I should be out the cost through a mistake that was no fault of my own?

So you're saying the Diesel tank at the station had Petrol in it? Surely there would be more than you complaining if that was the case?
No Im saying their attendant lifted the wrong hose and put it in the car. The fuel cap on the car is clearly marked Diesel, and the same guy as filled it up a 100 times previously. I can only imagine he had a brain fart.

Right, ahhy. I'd say you're gonna have to buck that goat.

general_lee

• View Profile
Re: Car Problems!!
« Reply #751 on: September 13, 2019, 01:38:09 PM »
I’d like to think they’re liable. One of their employees filled your car with the wrong fuel? They haven’t really got a leg to stand on, do they?