Guillem Balagues Euro XI for 2008

Started by stiffler, January 02, 2009, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on January 02, 2009, 10:20:29 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 02, 2009, 10:17:34 PM
I think van der sa is the best keeper in the world.

What world is that Pints?
This one, I dont follow soccer in the other worlds.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

GalwayBayBoy

Buffon is probably the best although we don't see him as much these days with no Italian football on telly. Plus he spent a season in Serie B.

A year or two ago everyone said Cech was the best but he hasn't been the same since the collision with Stephen Hunt IMO. Made some awful blunders last year. Still good though.

Iker Casillas is obviously very good.

But I wouldn't swap Reina for any other keeper in the Premier League and I can say that with complete confidence. I'm actually amazed at how underrated he is in England. They must prefer keepers who actually make mistakes.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 02, 2009, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2009, 09:41:48 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 08:52:27 PM
Unfortunately my knowledge of world football is not detailed enough to give a crticial analysis of his team.

That though does not apply to my knowledge of goalkeepers playing in England. Pepe Reina - best in the world? You're having a laugh Guillem.

Would you agree he is the best in the Premier League seeing as he has won the last three Premiership Golden Gloves awards  ???

125 appearances for Liverpool in the Premiership with 68 clean sheets, 48 appearances in Europe for LFC 23 clean sheets...not bad IMO
So despite your limited knowledge of World football  ::)  I'm sure you can agree it is hardly laughable that he is rated one of the best keepers in the World

I don't be around the Board as often as I used to.

Let me ask - you're a Liverpool fan - aren't you?  ::)

Just because we are Liverpool fans doesn't mean we are not objective Rufus old boy.  Anyway, what would you know about goalkeeping anyway :P

Seriously though, Reina is a fine keeper, potentiallly one of the best to play for Liverpool, but he is helped by a very solid defence in front of him and a system which protects him well in the area that he is most vulnerable, set pieces and corners in particular.  He is one of the best in the world, but not the best.  Ir is no coincidence that he is a good friend of Guillem, as are half of the Liverpool squad by the look of his website, http://www.guillembalague.com/.  He is very much a Liverpool arse licker and another of Rafa's love-children.  I rate him as an analyst but his view is skewed a small bit over Liverpool players.  In saying that I would not swap Reina for any other keeper as he is steady, has a great understanding with is defence and has excellent distribution, similar to Smichael in his heyday.

BTW I never said he was the best in the world either...I just hate when you can't give a opinion without being accused of only having that opinion because of the club you do or don't support its a pathethic response IMO,granted we can all be a bit blinkered sometimes but in general most posters on this board (even the Man U ones  ;) )are fairly honest with their opinions on players and teams regardless of who they play for..
But IMHO Reina is one of the best in the World and his record speaks for itself.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Reina is the Anti-Given if you like, if the save is straightforward he makes it look straightforward and not doing a double flip after tipping a ball away. Buffon is probably still the best, rarely makes an error.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thebandit on January 02, 2009, 10:19:39 PM
Seriously though, Reina is a fine keeper, potentiallly one of the best to play for Liverpool, but he is helped by a very solid defence in front of him and a system which protects him well in the area that he is most vulnerable, set pieces and corners in particular.  He is one of the best in the world, but not the best.  Ir is no coincidence that he is a good friend of Guillem, as are half of the Liverpool squad by the look of his website, http://www.guillembalague.com/.  He is very much a Liverpool arse licker and another of Rafa's love-children.  I rate him as an analyst but his view is skewed a small bit over Liverpool players.  In saying that I would not swap Reina for any other keeper as he is steady, has a great understanding with is defence and has excellent distribution, similar to Smichael in his heyday.

You wouldn't swop Reina for Casillas?

And comparing Reina to Schmeichel is like comparing big Jarlath to Sephen Cluxton :P

bandit, he may not be as good a keeper yet as Smichael, but remember, Smicheal wasn't a top notch keeper till his 30's.  I am simply saying that his distribution whenever he picks up balls in the box is excellent and is on a par with Smicheal's famous long throw routine that launched many United attacks. Top 5 in the world(in no particular order), Buffon, Casillas, Reina, Cech, VDS.

The Real Laoislad

Anyone ever read the book Balague wrote "A season on the brink" A brilliant read
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Norf Tyrone

I used to think Reina was over rated but he has grown on me, and I'd definately have him in the world's top 5.

Best premiership keepers this year have been Turnball (Mboro) and Myhill (Hull).
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rufus T Firefly

Just because we are Liverpool fans doesn't mean we are not objective Rufus old boy. 

I can imagine a scenario where you would be objective - fair enough.

It's just that the notion that Reina is best, or even one of the best, seems so far off the mark, that the only reasonable explanantion can be club favouritism, or being a relative.

Anyway, what would you know about goalkeeping anyway :P

Good point, well made!   ;D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 10:53:26 PM
Just because we are Liverpool fans doesn't mean we are not objective Rufus old boy. 

I can imagine a scenario where you would be objective - fair enough.

It's just that the notion that Reina is best, or even one of the best, seems so far off the mark, that the onlyreasonable explanantion can be club favouritism, or being a relative.

Or option 3...You haven't a clue
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rufus T Firefly

thebandit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 02, 2009, 10:27:17 PM

bandit, he may not be as good a keeper yet as Smichael, but remember, Smicheal wasn't a top notch keeper till his 30's.  I am simply saying that his distribution whenever he picks up balls in the box is excellent and is on a par with Smicheal's famous long throw routine that launched many United attacks. Top 5 in the world(in no particular order), Buffon, Casillas, Reina, Cech, VDS.

Reina's distribution is excellent, and this was very apparent recently, but I dont think he is commanding enough, either of his 18 yard area or his defence to be considered world class.

Casillas is top class behind both a bad defence and a bad defensive system.

J70

Quote from: thebandit on January 02, 2009, 10:19:39 PM

You wouldn't swop Reina for Casillas?

No.

Goalkeeper is not a problem area for Liverpool in any way whatsoever. Besides, in what way is Casillas is that far ahead of him?

corn02

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 10:53:26 PM

It's just that the notion that Reina is best, or even one of the best, seems so far off the mark, that the only reasonable explanantion can be club favouritism, or being a relative.

Gping to have to call you up on this sir. I am interested to why you think it so laughable? He does throw the head up a bit when he makes an error and is a bit panic-stricken, but there can be no denying he has been absoilutely superb. I would watch La Liga a fair bit, Casiallas has been quite poor this seaosn, countless errros - i suppose he has a vunerbale defence in front of him this year. Buffon is still the best for me, but I would have Reina right up there. VDS in his prime could lay claim to the crown POG, but he is now an imitation of that keeper and I am shocked Ferguson hasn;t made am ove for a keeper in the last few windows. Reina is stilkl only 25 or 26 btw.

The fact of the matter is that with keepers increasingly under the microscope any mistake is magnified. Look at the decline of Cech, noone seems to talk about him anymore after a couple of errors, ok big errors! But he has still been steady.

full back

I dont know how you can have a keeper down as the best in the world when he cant even get on his country's first 11 ???

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 02, 2009, 10:17:34 PM
I think van der sa is the best keeper in the world.

Ur having a laugh pints, 5-6 years ago but he has been failing the last couple of years and is now probably uniteds weakest position, i'm surprised SAF hasn't been in transfer market picking up young keepers

I think turnbull has been the outstanding keeper in the premiership this year, cant be too long before he gets the england jersey
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me