New Garda Speed Enforcement Zones

Started by magickingdom, January 01, 2009, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

with the ongoing carnage on our roads i'm not posting these to help people duck points but to realise that there is a good chance you will get caught if you dont slow dowm... so slow down.

http://www.garda.ie/sez/Speed_Enforcement_Zones.htm

magickingdom

magpie seanie

Just lookedat the Sligo ones and obviously the bit of the N4 between Collooney and Drumfin is safe enough but not the big wide dual carriageways.

What is the thinking behind this?

Hardy

While I'd be cynical too about how they target their enforcement activities and wonder about the balance between PR, revenue generation and genuinely targeted safety initiatives, I have to admit somebody is doing something right. 2008 has seen the lowest road road fatalities on record, with the month of December the lowest month on record.

The last three years have shown annual decreases in fatalities of 7%, 8% and 18%. The decrease since 2000 is 33%. If it wasn't for the bad years of 2004 and 2005 when fatalities rose as people began to realise that enforcement wasn't matching the hype, this decade so far would have shown an even more remarkable improvement.

All this came about during a period when road usage must have increased dramatically (we don't seem to have statistics for that) so the real improvement (i.e. in fatal accidents per thousand journey miles or whatever) must be even more dramatic.

I'm sure there are many factors involved - the improved quality of roads and the increased proportion of journeys being made on safer dual carriageways, etc.  Anyway, it's a remarkable improvement.

Annual statistics here

Gnevin

Quote from: Hardy on January 02, 2009, 08:12:54 AM
While I'd be cynical too about how they target their enforcement activities and wonder about the balance between PR, revenue generation and genuinely targeted safety initiatives, I have to admit somebody is doing something right. 2008 has seen the lowest road road fatalities on record, with the month of December the lowest month on record.

The last three years have shown annual decreases in fatalities of 7%, 8% and 18%. The decrease since 2000 is 33%. If it wasn't for the bad years of 2004 and 2005 when fatalities rose as people began to realise that enforcement wasn't matching the hype, this decade so far would have shown an even more remarkable improvement.

All this came about during a period when road usage must have increased dramatically (we don't seem to have statistics for that) so the real improvement (i.e. in fatal accidents per thousand journey miles or whatever) must be even more dramatic.

I'm sure there are many factors involved - the improved quality of roads and the increased proportion of journeys being made on safer dual carriageways, etc.  Anyway, it's a remarkable improvement.

Annual statistics here

Couldn't be argued that since 2000 cars are 33% safer?  I'd like to see the number of accidents on the road rather than fatalities .

Esp when you factor in the huge numbers of 07 and 08 cars which were got with SSIA money
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bud Wiser

My niece was in an Astra on Christmas Eve, left the road, hit a tree and five of them all in their 19-20's ended up upside down in a field between Enfield and Mullingar somewhere and had to be cut out of the yoke.  All in diffrerent hospitals, she in  the Mater in a serious way.  The usual, Garda knocking on the door at 3am, etc.  Wouldn't wish it on anyone. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Tonto

Quote from: Hardy on January 02, 2009, 08:12:54 AM
While I'd be cynical too about how they target their enforcement activities and wonder about the balance between PR, revenue generation and genuinely targeted safety initiatives,
Not sure of the accuracy of it, but I heard that the British Treasury take (did take?) more from Simon Cowell in tax every year than the police take from speed cameras.

If that stat is true, I reckon that it would blow the theory that the police only do it for money out of the water...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 02, 2009, 05:03:30 PM
My niece was in an Astra on Christmas Eve, left the road, hit a tree and five of them all in their 19-20's ended up upside down in a field between Enfield and Mullingar somewhere and had to be cut out of the yoke.  All in diffrerent hospitals, she in  the Mater in a serious way.  The usual, Garda knocking on the door at 3am, etc.  Wouldn't wish it on anyone. 
Sorry to hear that Bud, we've been there, hope all is well soon.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

2010 Road Fatality Statistics

According to garda statistics 2010 had the lowest recorded number of road accident fatalities. 212 people died in road accidents during the year, which is a reduction of 11.6% on the 2009 figure of 240. This was the fifth successive year of reductions in fatalities on the roads. There has been an overall drop in fatalities of 46.5% over those five years from the 396 deaths in 2005.

2010 also recorded three separate instances of the lowest monthly fatality figures on record. Prior to 2010 the lowest recorded number in any month was 14. In March 2010 there were 12 deaths, in June there were 11 and December 2010 is now the lowest month on record with 10 deaths. Strangely, October 2010 recorded a massive 36 deaths, the worst month since December 2007.

While there are undoubtedly fewer cars on the road than there were in the boom years, there is still clearly a downward trend in the rate of fatal accidents.

These numbers are no consolation to the individual families bereaved but they are very encouraging statistics and show that something is being done right.

Milltown Row2

Its been the lowest number for road deaths and people caught driving while over the limit in the North since the early 70's. What's brought this about?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea