The Greatest of them all

Started by RedandGreenSniper, December 24, 2008, 08:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: kickingmule on December 26, 2008, 06:50:40 PM
Its amazing really .... the man trained on his own out there on Valencia island, running with bags of turf, haha! just coming on to the mainland for match day.
Purscell of course was one of the terrible twins, as was Canavan of course .... until  Cush went missing.... who by the way i reckoned was the most gifted!!
Recent day media of course ...believe gaelic football began in 2002!

I'm yet to see any expressions of this belief in the media.

Bit of a false debate about the greatest of all time unless you're at least in your 70s and have clear memory of football over the past 50 years. Its impossible to judge players on snippets of old film.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 27, 2008, 08:13:31 PM
Quote from: kickingmule on December 26, 2008, 06:50:40 PM
Its amazing really .... the man trained on his own out there on Valencia island, running with bags of turf, haha! just coming on to the mainland for match day.
Purscell of course was one of the terrible twins, as was Canavan of course .... until  Cush went missing.... who by the way i reckoned was the most gifted!!
Recent day media of course ...believe gaelic football began in 2002!

I'm yet to see any expressions of this belief in the media.

Bit of a false debate about the greatest of all time unless you're at least in your 70s and have clear memory of football over the past 50 years. Its impossible to judge players on snippets of old film.

Yes, houl yer whist til TYP comments on it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

Quote from: ONeill on December 25, 2008, 11:01:17 PM

In my lifetime - Pat Spillane, Mikey Sheehy, Jack O'Se, Colm O'Rourke, Mickey Linden, Matin McHugh, Anthony Tohill, Peter Canavan, Maurice Fitz, Padraig Joyce, Colm Cooper, Dara O Se, Stephen McDonnell, Tomas O Se, Stephen O'Neill and Sean Cavanagh have reached a level that cannot be topped at that particular time.

Some will laugh at this but Phillip Jordan has played faultless games for his county.

Ciaran Mac would be the equal of most of those listed (without the celtic cross)

Agreed re Phillip Jordan by the way.

Tyrones own

Jordan is a great lad no doubt but I'd have Gormley in ahead of him if I had my choice of the two.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 27, 2008, 08:13:31 PM

I don't think it will be possible to get a categoric Greatest of Them All but the debate itself is interesting. Particularly between those who are old enough to remember Micko's Kerry and compare the greats of that team to the modern stars. We'll rely on anecdotes and second hand opinion I'd say for the likes of Sean Purcell, JJ O'Reilly etc. Can't imagine there are too many posters in their seventies on gaaboard!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

man in black

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 25, 2008, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2008, 09:22:58 PM
Im not sure who but i would say the greatest ever player will be from Tyrone. . . . . . . . .

Or if not Tyrone he will defiantly have to be from Ulster....

Well you can be sure he wont be from Laois, although that lad Emerson wasnt the worst.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Canalman

Greatest footballer I ever saw was Kevin O'Brien of Wicklow. Also would rank Anthony Tohill, Colin Cooper (if he continues playing like he is he will be my no 1 shortly) and Martin O'Connell.

corn02

Quote from: ONeill on December 25, 2008, 11:01:17 PM

Some will laugh at this but Phillip Jordan has played faultless games for his county.

Yip, forced a giggle.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: man in black on December 29, 2008, 09:29:10 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 25, 2008, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 24, 2008, 09:22:58 PM
Im not sure who but i would say the greatest ever player will be from Tyrone. . . . . . . . .

Or if not Tyrone he will defiantly have to be from Ulster....

Well you can be sure he wont be from Laois, although that lad Emerson wasnt the worst.

Now that you mention it I didn't see any Tyrone men on the Team of the Millennium but some lad called Murphy from Laois made it
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mike Sheehy

QuoteNow that you mention it I didn't see any Tyrone men on the Team of the Millennium but some lad called Murphy from Laois made it

The man in black isnt from Tyrone RnGS. Dont know where he is from though because, eventhough he likes having a pop at other counties, he is very coy about his own county affiliation.