Farrell: Keep Croke Park open to foreign games

Started by the milkman, December 21, 2008, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

You see tankie this is exactly the reason why so many of us thread very carefully when it comes to changes within the organisation because once you give someone an inch they'll try and take a mile.
Croker was opened for the redevelopment of Lansdowne - now you boys will want it opened for good, more than a few would want it sold to the government - that's fair enough if you want that but why not say that when the initial debate was going on? 
It's the same with the GPA and pay for play, watch while those who support the grants now will want more and more and more! in the same way.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 22, 2008, 12:31:11 AM
You see tankie this is exactly the reason why so many of us thread very carefully when it comes to changes within the organisation because once you give someone an inch they'll try and take a mile.
Croker was opened for the redevelopment of Lansdowne - now you boys will want it opened for good, more than a few would want it sold to the government - that's fair enough if you want that but why not say that when the initial debate was going on? 
It's the same with the GPA and pay for play, watch while those who support the grants now will want more and more and more! in the same way.

Ah come on POG i just told you that I would be happy if you closed it after LR is open but I just see it as a wasted opportunity to make some money. i really do not see what this whole 'its my ball' mentality with certain people in the GAA.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hardy

POG - what do you think would happen to the awful detriment of the GAA if we allowed soccer and rugby to continue to be played in Croke Park after whatever the magic date is? Why is it so important that it must never be allowed again (and that we must never get that money again) after it's been OK for the last two and the next two years? I don't understand.

carribbear

The GAA were put in a position to accomodate the FAI and IRFU. Once Landsdowne road is finished that should be the end of it Should not have been so generous in the first place.

Tankie

Quote from: carribbear on December 22, 2008, 04:22:21 AM
The GAA were put in a position to accomodate the FAI and IRFU. Once Landsdowne road is finished that should be the end of it Should not have been so generous in the first place.

People seem to forget how many GAA people  play or support other sports and that was another reason for opening the ground up. Just look how big the soccer threads are on this board!

Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

Hardy
QuotePOG - what do you think would happen to the awful detriment of the GAA if we allowed soccer and rugby to continue to be played in Croke Park after whatever the magic date is? Why is it so important that it must never be allowed again (and that we must never get that money again) after it's been OK for the last two and the next two years? I don't understand.
I never argued on either side of the debate hardy, I'm just pointing out that those who didn't want it in the first place and those who are against the grants warned and continue to warn that this is what's going to happen, once you give an inch, people want a mile.  (I was opening of croke park while Lansdowne was being redeveloped - just about). 

All the money we get is great but why question is how much more money do the FAI and IRFU get than they would if they played in Lansdowne?

Tankie
QuotePeople seem to forget how many GAA people  play or support other sports and that was another reason for opening the ground up. Just look how big the soccer threads are on this board!
No it wasn't.  It might have been the reason you wanted it open but I don't think that was people's main reason. 
I don't see any relevance to what other sports people like.

Tankie

POG I wanted it opened up as a member of the gaa, a rugby club and an Irish citizen i do not believe in being spiteful to your neighbours, I find it hard to believe that people would have wanted 80k Irish people to travel to Wales to play a home game out of pure spite and backward thinking.

But as i have said from a rugby point of view I cant wait for LR to open as I dont enjoy Rugby in Croker but froma GAA point of view I dont see what closing the ground is going to do other than refuse a few million maybe every few years BUT i do recognise that the No side went along with opening so I ill be more than happy to go along with them closing it even if i think it is a backward step!
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

QuotePOG I wanted it opened up as a member of the gaa, a rugby club and an Irish citizen i do not believe in being spiteful to your neighbours, I find it hard to believe that people would have wanted 80k Irish people to travel to Wales to play a home game out of pure spite and backward thinking.
Really?  Well I like soccer ad rugby but when I consider things like this I consider them as a GAA man first and foremost.  People were not saying NO down to backward thinking or anything else and you know it, that sort of shite talk isn't helping your argument. 
I'm not even willing to get in to a discussion as we were all through it not so long ago when people like you were yapping and crying that it was only for a couple of years and now you want it for good, make your IRFU buddies some more money. 

It's going to be the same with the grants and the pay for play and two years ago you were probably accusing people of scaremongering.

Typical freestater, grab the money and to hell with anything else.

Gnevin

It's amazing that some GAA people still think the best way to encourage kids to live in some sort dream world . Where if you ignore all other sports and pretend they don't happen the kids will be ok. Croke Park is steal and concrete nothing more.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 22, 2008, 11:19:41 AM
QuotePOG I wanted it opened up as a member of the gaa, a rugby club and an Irish citizen i do not believe in being spiteful to your neighbours, I find it hard to believe that people would have wanted 80k Irish people to travel to Wales to play a home game out of pure spite and backward thinking.
Really?  Well I like soccer ad rugby but when I consider things like this I consider them as a GAA man first and foremost.  People were not saying NO down to backward thinking or anything else and you know it, that sort of shite talk isn't helping your argument. 
I'm not even willing to get in to a discussion as we were all through it not so long ago when people like you were yapping and crying that it was only for a couple of years and now you want it for good, make your IRFU buddies some more money. 

It's going to be the same with the grants and the pay for play and two years ago you were probably accusing people of scaremongering.

Typical Nordie bitter as f**k. :o ::) See we can all throw names around. If it's ok with you can we go back to discussing this like grown ups?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on December 22, 2008, 11:19:53 AM
It's amazing that some GAA people still think the best way to encourage kids to live in some sort dream world . Where if you ignore all other sports and pretend they don't happen the kids will be ok. Croke Park is steal and concrete nothing more.
Another freestater that only knows the value of money. 

Gnevin

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 22, 2008, 11:19:41 AM

Typical Nordie as bitter as a lemon and will share nothing with the otherside.....  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

QuoteTypical Nordie as bitter as a lemon and will share nothing with the otherside.....
Not the first time that's been used by your side of the arugment  ::)  ::)

pintsofguinness

No we should grap all the money we can, I think you should stick with your IRFU buddies tankie.