Pat Darcy v Gregory Campbell

Started by GalwayBayBoy, December 19, 2008, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Quote from: dublinfella on December 22, 2008, 02:52:12 PM

I'm not for a second disagreeing with what he said, but is it appropriate or a good idea for the chair of a county board to get stuck into the minister for sport and his party?

While 2 wrongs don't make a right, is it any less appropriate than said Minister and his party colleagues getting stuck into the county board and indeed the wider GAA community in the North?

boojangles

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 19, 2008, 01:15:30 PM

"If we can live with the Craigavons, Mountjoys, Kings, Queens, Windsors and Royal Victorias, then I would ask the Minister to tolerate the Casements, Wolf Tones, Kevin Barrys, Pearses, Sam Maguire and the Clarkes."

Respect to that.Mr Darcy has made some great points there.Just wondering,Did Tyrone footballers ever get that civic reception in Stormont or wherever it was supposed to be?

dublinfella

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 22, 2008, 02:57:28 PM

While 2 wrongs don't make a right, is it any less appropriate than said Minister and his party colleagues getting stuck into the county board and indeed the wider GAA community in the North?

I think so.

The GAA has an apolitical rule and I think Darcy sailed close to breaking it here. The official policy of the GAA is non-sectarian, so going toe to toe with the DUP over placenames and symbols is innapropriate in my opinion. Leave that debate to the politicians.

Also, how would the Fearons of the world react if the Chairman of Linfield got stuck into SF?

tyrone86

Quote from: dublinfella on December 22, 2008, 03:24:26 PM

I think so.

The GAA has an apolitical rule and I think Darcy sailed close to breaking it here. The official policy of the GAA is non-sectarian, so going toe to toe with the DUP over placenames and symbols is innapropriate in my opinion. Leave that debate to the politicians.

Also, how would the Fearons of the world react if the Chairman of Linfield got stuck into SF?

Read the relevant rules.

2. Basic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

7. Non-Party Political/Non-Sectarian
(a) The Association shall be non-party political. Party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any party political movement. A penalty of up to twenty four weeks suspension may be imposed for infringement.
(b) The Association shall be non-sectarian.

As far as I'm concerned that's as far away as a lighthouse from breaking the rule. You're equating the history of Irish Nationalism with sectarianism and I don't accept that premise.

dublinfella

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 22, 2008, 03:32:20 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on December 22, 2008, 03:24:26 PM

I think so.

Read the relevant rules.

2. Basic Aim
The Association is a National Organisation which has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes.

7. Non-Party Political/Non-Sectarian
(a) The Association shall be non-party political. Party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any party political movement. A penalty of up to twenty four weeks suspension may be imposed for infringement.
(b) The Association shall be non-sectarian.

As far as I'm concerned that's as far away as a lighthouse from breaking the rule. You're equating the history of Irish Nationalism with sectarianism and I don't accept that premise.

But he names the DUP more than once.... To me thats pushing the envelope of non-party policitical very hard.

Thats before you ask what is to be gained from a senior GAA man picking a row with the minister for sport over something not sporting related? No doubt he will be on a podium again asking why the GAA isn't getting 'parity' from this same chap without any sense of irony.

tyrone86

Quote from: dublinfella on December 22, 2008, 03:38:03 PM

But he names the DUP more than once....To me thats pushing the envelope of non-party policitical very hard.

Thats before you ask what is to be gained from a senior GAA man picking a row with the minister for sport over something not sporting related? No doubt he will be on a podium again asking why the GAA isn't getting 'parity' from this same chap without any sense of irony.

Not for me. Had Sean Kelly decided to have a go at John O'Donoghue for whatever reason whilst president of the GAA would that be a breach of the rule considering it was widely known Kelly had FG tendancies? It's not like Darcy was towing the SF line, he was answering criticisms leveled at the association from a minister for mono-culture, arts and leisure. For me that's fair game and indeed a reasonable response.

dublinfella

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 22, 2008, 03:49:09 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on December 22, 2008, 03:38:03 PM

But he names the DUP more than once....To me thats pushing the envelope of non-party policitical very hard.

Not for me. Had Sean Kelly decided to have a go at John O'Donoghue for whatever reason whilst president of the GAA would that be a breach of the rule considering it was widely known Kelly had FG tendancies? It's not like Darcy was towing the SF line, he was answering criticisms leveled at the association from a minister for mono-culture, arts and leisure. For me that's fair game and indeed a reasonable response.

It was a measured response, I'm simply asking where in his remit as TCB chair does it say its his job to take up that battle on behalf of the GAA?

orangeman

Fair play to Darcy - the Darcys are proud men and to be fair, Pat has't put a foot wrong in his tenure.

his holiness nb

In fairness, Campbell had a go at the GAA, and in particular the flying of Tyrone flags. So who better to respond that the chairman of the Tyrone county board??

If the chairman of a county board cant respond to criticisms of his association in his county, then who can????

Jaysus if SF reponded to that ye would all be shouting (quite rightly) at how they are speaking on behalf of the GAA. So whats the other option, say nothing and take the abuse???

Well said mr Darcy!!

Ask me holy bollix

Maguire01

Seemed like a fair and measured response. However, whilst he was comparing 'Casement' and 'Windsor', he should also have compared Tyrone/Fermanagh/other GAA flags with Union Jacks etc, that are flown every year.

armaghniac

Quotehe should also have compared Tyrone/Fermanagh/other GAA flags with Union Jacks etc, that are flown every year.

He absolutely should not. Tyrone flags should only be compared with other sporting regalia, political regalia is a different matter entirely. Campbell's agenda is to put Tyrone flags, the type of thing every community in the world does with a successful team on a par with political tuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on December 24, 2008, 01:04:38 AM
Quotehe should also have compared Tyrone/Fermanagh/other GAA flags with Union Jacks etc, that are flown every year.

He absolutely should not. Tyrone flags should only be compared with other sporting regalia, political regalia is a different matter entirely. Campbell's agenda is to put Tyrone flags, the type of thing every community in the world does with a successful team on a par with political tuff.
I mean that Campbell was among those protesting about Tyrone flags being flown this summer, yet Union flags are flown every summer. It's about tolerance - similar to the naming of grounds/places.
But yes, i see your point in not wanting to draw a direct comparison.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 19, 2008, 01:15:30 PM
Top Tyrone GAA official accuses arts minister of 'broken record syndrome'

By Barry O'Donnell

THE top GAA official in the county has criticised the 'broken record syndrome' of the Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure over his ongoing attacks on the Association.

Pat Darcy, who was re-elected as Tyrone County chairman this week at the annual convention in Moy, used the opportunity to hit out at Gregory Campbell, MLA, accusing him of failing to understand the GAA or the communities in which it is rooted.

Mr Darcy told Gaels from across the county that he applauded the visit of the high-ranking DUP politician to the St Brigid's Club in Belfast during the past year, before taking issue with some of the Minister's subsequent comments about the flying of Tyrone flags and bunting around the time of the All-Ireland Final.

"This visit was a significant step forward in recognising the GAA. However, it was disappointing when he took two steps back with his subsequent criticism of the Association. Linking these two issues was an error of judgement on his part.

"The Minister reverted to the same old 'broken record syndrome' regarding the naming of trophies, clubs and grounds after individuals who he alleges were involved in violence. The Minister fails to understand the GAA is deeply rooted in real world communities who place importance on remembering historical figures. GAA communities are proud of these traditions and no amount of shouting from the sidelines will change this reality."

The GAA chief argued that in the perfect Ireland all names and places would be community friendly but 'our shared history dictates otherwise'.

"If we can live with the Craigavons, Mountjoys, Kings, Queens, Windsors and Royal Victorias, then I would ask the Minister to tolerate the Casements, Wolf Tones, Kevin Barrys, Pearses, Sam Maguire and the Clarkes."

Mr Darcy continued: "I share with the Minister his concern with improving community relations through sport and culture but I disagree that this can best be done by highlighting our differences. We must respect our differences and seek common ground."

He argued that the GAA was committed to inclusivity and was working hard to promote cross community initiatives.

" In this context I had no difficulty in committing Tyrone GAA to the cross community 'Respect' programme in partnership with BACTIV. This programme aims to encourage children from different backgrounds to respect each other.

He concluded, "Regardless of the efforts by the GAA to reach out, our games continue to be excluded from the sports curriculum of state schools which are predominantly Protestant.

"My Unionist friends tell me there would be no point because young unionists have no wish to play Gaelic Games. My answer to that comment begins with a question- How do you know if you do not give them a choice?"
Why on earth would young unionists choose to play a game against teams or in sports grounds named after people who, not so long ago, were trying to kill their fathers / uncles / brothers, etc, etc? Seems a no brainer to me.

stibhan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 25, 2008, 04:31:31 PM
Why on earth would young unionists choose to play a game against teams or in sports grounds named after people who, not so long ago, were trying to kill their fathers / uncles / brothers, etc, etc? Seems a no brainer to me.
::)

pintsofguinness

Yet another bigot on the gaaboard
QuoteWhy on earth would young unionists choose to play a game against teams or in sports grounds named after people who, not so long ago, were trying to kill their fathers / uncles / brothers, etc, etc? Seems a no brainer to me.

Pat Darcy's response
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?