stephen ireland

Started by Clown, December 16, 2008, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I don't see where he's going to play Ireland in his rigid 4-4-2, unless he drops McGeady and plays him wide-right.  That's not what appears to be his strongest position, but there's no way he'll get a central midfield slot while Trap lives and breathes.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 07, 2009, 01:57:36 PM
I don't see where he's going to play Ireland in his rigid 4-4-2, unless he drops McGeady and plays him wide-right.  That's not what appears to be his strongest position, but there's no way he'll get a central midfield slot while Trap lives and breathes.
Well he never plays for City as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 system, and when he's played for Ireland previously in such a position he has done poorly, whereas he has done reasonably well when he's played on the right. I don't think there is any doubt that in a 4-4-2 system, he is definitely better on the right side of midfield, and thus I agree it is McGeady who is at risk.

In saying all that, he has come on a lot this year, so perhaps he might be able to make the step up now to central midfielder, but with no friendlies I don't think there's any chance of Trap experimenting for the home qualifier v Georgia.

Billys Boots

QuoteI don't think there's any chance of Trap experimenting for the home qualifier v Georgia

Probably not, though in the last meeting he did have Stephen Reid in central midfield, and he was MOTM.  This time he doesn't, and Glenn Whelan isn't (ahem) 'equipped' to give Ireland a 'free' creative role in midfield.  Carsley might, for an hour.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

I don't think Carsley's even in the squad these days.
We'd be a good team if Steven Reid was fit and available all the time.

Andrews is supposed to be doing well at Blackburn, so I wouldnt be surprised if he's moved ahead of Whelan, but it'll probably be the two of them. I have never seen Gibson play well, but I guess he must have something if Ferguson keeps him on the fringes. He might have done himself out of a start tonight after his performance v Soton, but maybe Ferguson will give him the chance as he did get the goal at the end, and if so he might still have a chance of a start v Georgia. Presumably Trap at least watches a few of the games on the telly...

red hander

Yeah, pity about Steven Reid ... very intelligent footballer but buggered by injuries unfortunately

IolarCoisCuain

There's a very interesting line in that Herald story from today.

Contact between the two men was re-established a few months back and Trapattoni has been to see Ireland play.

Now, one of the big knocks on Trapattoni was that he didn't watch players at games, and Paul Hyland would be first in the queue to complain about that. So, does this mean that
1. Trap has had a change of heart?
2. That the whole thing about Trap not travelling was a load of balls from the start?
3. or that Trap hasn't been to see Ireland play and Hyland is just writing whatever comes into his head?

It'd be interesting to know.

Clown

he may hav just been watchin richard dunne?

The Real Laoislad

It would be great to see him back,he is a terrific player and is the best preforming Irish man along with Shay Given in the Premier League at the moment,I hope the news is true...
I honestly can't see Trap not playing him,where he plays him is anyone guess but I have no doubt he will be a regular starter,maybe not in the first game or two but I doubt Trap will leave out a player of Ireland's talent for too long,The Reid situation is different as Reid isn't half the player Ireland is and is far less of a loss to the team than Ireland is/was
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

Contact between the two men was re-established a few months back and Trapattoni has been to see Ireland play.

Maybe he means the U21's or the youth teams?

thebandit

The whole thing just gets stranger....

QuoteTrapattoni makes Ireland statement
Wednesday, 7 January 2009 17:36
In response to requests from a number of journalists, Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has released an official statement regarding Stephen Ireland.

The brief statement from Trapattoni reads: 'We haven't heard from Stephen Ireland but if he does want to declare himself available for his country all he has to do is let us know himself through channels he is aware of.'

Stephen Ireland has not played for the Republic of Ireland since September 2007. Ireland's absence from the international scene was sparked by 'grannygate'.

The now legendary incident in Irish football occurred when Ireland announced the death of both his grandmothers in order to be excused international duty; the media subsequently uncovered these announcements to be untrue.

Ireland later told the press and public he had lied because his girlfriend had suffered a miscarriage and he wished to join her in Cork.

He released a statement at the time stating: 'I decided at that stage that I must tell the truth and admit I had told lies.

'I realise now it was a massive mistake to say my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it.

'Jessica (his girlfriend) said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died.'

Ireland's father recently told the press that his son would be returning to play for the national team in 2009.

the scenic route

I dont think Ireland should be welcomed back into the irish squads.

There is no question he is aplayer of great talent and would be a huge asset to the irish team but frankly his attitude stinks. When he was in Brian Kerrs underage squads years ago he had the same problems. He left the panels on a couple of occasions because he wasn named in the starting 11 and he didnt want to be there just as a sub. Now to be honest having a player like that around is bad for the morale of the squad and the atmosphere couldnt be great either with him claiming he was being bullied when walking out on the squat the last time.
I think ireland are moving gradually in the right direction at the minute and it would be difficult to see how ireland could fit back into the trappatoni regime without interruption 
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: thebandit on January 07, 2009, 06:02:14 PM

The brief statement from Trapattoni reads: 'We haven't heard from Stephen Ireland but if he does want to declare himself available for his country all he has to do is let us know himself through channels he is aware of.'

So when Paul Hyland wrote that Trapattoni had been to see Ireland play he hadn't been to see him at all?

And he never it noticed when he was typing that to say Trapattoni had been at a match in England was news in the first place?

I suppose I'm worse for even quoting the Herald in the first place, to be honest. :(