sterling v euro

Started by goal and a point, December 16, 2008, 11:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goal and a point

The sterling has farely dropped over last week. Good for people in the south but woeful for people in the north especially those who have booked holidays, weddings or are heading to functions.

the Deel Rover

some shops up north are giving 1euro to the pound
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

tyrone86

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 16, 2008, 11:47:29 AM
some shops up north are giving 1euro to the pound

They are, but at the same time if you're paying sterling I'd still expect to get at least 10% off the marked price.

Onion Bag

Its a f**king disaster, we have our wedding booked for next July in the south and its going to cost a fortune now, does anyone think it will have changed much by then
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

armaghniac

I saw an article in the paper which suggested that the €uro would head over the 90p mark and maybe well over it, but when the dust settles in a few months the writer suggested that it would settle somewhere between 85p and 90p.  Not sure what he knew about it, but the nature of these things is to overshoot somewhat and come back a bit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

German girl at work is giving out shite about it as the value of her savings for when she plans to move home has plummeted. Im thinking the same though I havent saved a whole lot
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Onion Bag

Quote from: thejuice on December 16, 2008, 01:30:34 PM
German girl at work is giving out shite about it as the value of her savings for when she plans to move home has plummeted. Im thinking the same though I havent saved a whole lot

She has little to be complaining about, what about all us whores that have no savings, kick up the hole

orangeman

Quote from: Onion Bag on December 16, 2008, 11:56:51 AM
Its a f**king disaster, we have our wedding booked for next July in the south and its going to cost a fortune now, does anyone think it will have changed much by then

I have read quite a few articles on this and all of them predict no big change anytime soon.

Sorry about that -

For your sake I hope it changes and changes very quickly.

Onion Bag

Cheers Lad,

I hope it changes myself or there will be tears (Not from me by the way, the other half)

armaghniac

I don't wish to rain on your nuptials but the € closed at £0.90120.     
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Happy days, it will be nice to be in the North this Christmas ;D  I have only been down here 3 years but I have been royally screwed in my opinion so it will be nice to have some coming back to me.

FermGael

So do we.  Booked it when it one euro was worth 70p.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Maguire01

Quote from: FermGael on December 16, 2008, 07:59:10 PM
So do we.  Booked it when it one euro was worth 70p.
And me (not in south, but in Europe € zone). Not good.

comethekingdom

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2008, 12:07:10 PM
I saw an article in the paper which suggested that the €uro would head over the 90p mark and maybe well over it, but when the dust settles in a few months the writer suggested that it would settle somewhere between 85p and 90p.  Not sure what he knew about it, but the nature of these things is to overshoot somewhat and come back a bit.

There was a bloke on Newstalk this morning saying that the euro is racing to parity with stg a an unstoppable rate. Bad news for Irish companies exporting to England but good for Irish consumers and disaster for the irish gov.

orangeman

Quote from: comethekingdom on December 16, 2008, 09:36:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2008, 12:07:10 PM

There was a bloke on Newstalk this morning saying that the euro is racing to parity with stg a an unstoppable rate. Bad news for Irish companies exporting to England but good for Irish consumers and disaster for the irish gov.

Good news for UK as imports are so expensive it's cheaper to make them at home.

The UK govt won't be in any great hurry to change things.