Break For Ball - Win a Free GAA Training Weekend

Started by Mhic Easmuint, December 15, 2008, 02:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Regardless of what is being advertised or who is doing the advertising, this thread can only be considered as blatant spamming / free advertising. The thread starter seems to have spammed a link on many other threads (certainly the Antrim and Derry wans hi).

Preferably I would remove this thread, as it contravenes just about everything we stand for here on the gaaboard, but assuming it does remain, could I respectfully ask the thread starter to remove the related posts in other threads. This is not the first time said poster has been at this lark (he did the same with his / her Saffron Sweep posts) and surely a warning / ban would be appropriate at this stage.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Mhic Easmuint

sam I'm not going to get into a tit for tat argument about this but I don't see how it contravenes everything "we" stand for on the gaaboard.  The information in the post is GAA related and at least 80% of content on the poster/website is GAA related.  Do you not think it would be of benefit to posters of the board who are members of teams that may be interested in it? 

saffron sam2

If you feel you really must inform us of something like this, either place a link in your signature or pay google ads some money and place it there. I don't like a range of threads being sullied by links to any sort of advertising, whether it be GAA-related or not. It may well be of interest to many posters on the board, but my point is where do you stop? There are over two thousand posters on the board, many of whom work for a living. If all of them posted everything they had a financial interest in that might be of interest to the board or if they posted everything that club mates / acquaintances had financial interest in then the board would soon clog up in a mass of free adverising  / spam.

Minder

I am with SS on this one. Why should it be exempt just because its the good old Gaa. It is free advertising.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Drumanee 1

who are "We" to decide what is posted on this board,thats for the mods to decide.

saffron sam2

The mods can't be expected to read every post or thread, so a fair bit of self-policing has to take place.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that posts be kept on topic and that posting the same ad on many different threads is at best unnecessary.

Is it bad form for me to point this out? I don't, but others do.

Having said all that, it is a pity that this thread has veered off topic. I would also suggest that the best way to ensure as many people as possible read the thread, is to ask the moderator, via PM, to make it a sticky topic.

ONeill

SS just doesn't like Madden. Sure he only had him in his best Antrin team of the last 25 years by the skin of his teeth. I think he has wiped Sam's eye in the past.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

full back

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 17, 2008, 03:04:33 PM
I would also suggest that the best way to ensure as many people as possible read the thread, is to ask the moderator, via PM, to make it a sticky topic.

One minute you are saying the thread shouldnt be here, then you are asking for it to be made a sticky ???

Drumanee 1

The mods can't be expected to read every post or thread, so a fair bit of self-policing has to take place.
I don't think it is unreasonable to ask that posts be kept on topic and that posting the same ad on many different threads is at best unnecessary.

Is it bad form for me to point this out? I don't, but others do.

Having said all that, it is a pity that this thread has veered off topic. I would also suggest that the best way to ensure as many people as possible read the thread, is to ask the moderator, via PM, to make it a sticky topic.

wer not allowed to self police anymore,around bellaghy anyway.

saffron sam2

Quote from: full back on December 17, 2008, 03:12:01 PM
I would also suggest that the best way to ensure as many people as possible read the thread, is to ask the moderator, via PM, to make it a sticky topic.

One minute you are saying the thread shouldnt be here, then you are asking for it to be made a sticky ???

It's quite easy. The thread is staying. But rather than Mhic post in every thread where unsuspecting posters happen upon it, it would be better to have just this thread. However the thread could easily fall off the first page and many wouldn't see it. So a sticky would be a reasonable compromise I feel. I am not an unreasonable man.

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 17, 2008, 03:18:49 PM
But rather than Mhic post in every thread where unsuspecting posters happen upon it, it would be better to have just this thread.

But it was only posted in 2 other threads, Antrim and Derry - the two threads he'd post in. You're bejingles very unreasonable and I think an apology is needed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on December 17, 2008, 03:29:08 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 17, 2008, 03:18:49 PM
But rather than Mhic post in every thread where unsuspecting posters happen upon it, it would be better to have just this thread.

But it was only posted in 2 other threads, Antrim and Derry - the two threads he'd post in. You're be very unreasonable and I think an apology is needed.

What is it with members of the teaching profession and horrific grammar on this board lately?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hoof Hearted

hard to take a man seriously who has david healy playing the flute as his avatar !!
i think you're right O'Neill, madden has took his place on the Antrim team as a fresh faced (although bad looking) teenager when SS2 was nearing the end of his career.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BallyhaiseMan

,dont disagree with you on much Sam,but i have to on this

Ive often told people who join up solely to  advertise on here to away and f**k themselves.

However to be fair Mhic Easmuint(Kevin Madden?? im guessing) has a few hundred posts on all sorts of topics.

we should support one of our own in their efforts to get their business up and running.

Maroon4Heaven??? i think it was advertised his paintballing business located in Belfast,(could be wrong though),A fair few of the lads up north vistited and no doubt told others,Giving Maroon extra business,
Im all for that.