Score of 2008

Started by Joxer, December 11, 2008, 09:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

For the love of me I am trying to remember a better point. Gegarthy's efforts and Fitz in Tralee are pushing it, but there are not too many better.What else is there. 98 final?

Onion Bag

Eh, Corn, the the thread is score of 2008, any scores scored other than this season dont count  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

corn02

Ha I know, just adding a new angle to it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Would have to Dooher's point all right, one of those almost surreal scores that suffuses the scorer's team with the irrepressible belief that they cannot be bettered on the day. A few honourable mentions for the same player against Dublin too.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mountainboii

Dooher's was pretty good alright.

Best score I saw in person this year was a point by Ronan Clarke off the outside of his right foot from about 45 yards out in the first half against Down. It was Maurice Fitzesque.

This Years Model

Ah lads, a bit of balance please. Shur there was a score in the very same game that was nearly as good, there in the second half. Who was it now ..... oh yeah, Brian Dooher. Any relation I wonder?

And now that I'm here, Matty Forde's winning point against Meath was a bit special under the circumstances, considering most lads would have been tempted to carry the ball in another 15 yards before attempting the shot. Oh, and for the sight of the two Meath lads colliding into each other in their desperation to get to him before he received the pass ......

ziggysego

Dooher's point in the All-Ireland Final was unbelieveable and stands out to me as point of the year.

Goal of the year, without a doubt, was Lyng's goal against Tyrone.

Testing Accessibility

SidelineKick

Forde's goal against Armagh was memorable as well, taditional football yet calculated high ball in.  Caught and finished very well.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ziggysego on December 11, 2008, 04:33:15 PM
Dooher's point in the All-Ireland Final was unbelieveable and stands out to me as point of the year.

Lyng's was a great finish all right. Joe Mc Mahon's against Dublin wasn't half-bad either -- he himself started it off on his own full-back line, and as the ball was slickly exchanged up the left channel he made his way to the square where he collected an exquisite pass from Tommy Mc Guigan's left peg to bury it in the top right hand corner; that was the goal that terminally killed off Dublin's aspirational resurgence. Tommy Walsh netted a couple of gems too.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 11, 2008, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on December 11, 2008, 04:33:15 PM

Lyng's was a great finish all right. Joe Mc Mahon's against Dublin wasn't half-bad either -- he himself started it off on his own full-back line, and as the ball was slicky exchanged up the left channel he made his way to the square where he collected an exquisite pass from Tommy Mc Guigan's left peg to bury it in the top right hand corner; that was the goal that terminally killed off Dublin's aspirational resurgence. Tommy Walsh netted a couple of gems too.

Just watched that the other day myself, fantastic off the ball movement, too mnay players don't think during a game. He knew exactly what he was at.  Question is, where was his man?!

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 11, 2008, 04:44:40 PM
Just watched that the other day myself, fantastic off the ball movement, too mnay players don't think during a game. He knew exactly what he was at.  Question is, where was his man?!

He was thinking of the semi!  ;)

SidelineKick

Tómas O'Se's point against Derry in NFL Final was unbelievable.  It was going wide by a mile and gradually came round.  Hit it from the right hand side, with the inside of his right foot.  Quality score.  TV wouldn't do it justice.

Reported.

Puckoon

Hardy is spot on. Most people watching dooher in that sequence probably thought he was going down a blind alley and wondering what he was going to do when he had to turn back.

Then bam. Yer mans in the dust and the balls over the bar and Dooher is wheezing his way out to midfield again.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: the Deel Rover on December 11, 2008, 10:46:19 AM
doohers point was truly special he is a hardy fcuker, what height would he be? There were also a lot of great scores in the kerry galway match in truly atrocious conditions

While the run and point were unreal, I object to calling him a "hardy fcuker", what with his flailing around all summer. My scores of the year would be:

Point Football: Dooher's against Kerry
Goal Football: Joe McMahon's against Dublin
Point Hurling: Eoin McGrath against Wexford (I think, in the right full corner, hit it over his shoulder running away from goal)
Goal Hurling: Joe Canning's against Tipp

From a WH perspective you have Dessie's point against Offaly, similar to Dooher's without the lung bursting run up the sideline and Nachie's goal against the Dubs, great delivery by O'Donoghue and even better finish.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...