Players finally get their Grants

Started by boojangles, December 10, 2008, 06:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

They're already reimbursed for their expenses and rightly so. These payments are "grants", paid by the government. Expenses are paid by the GAA.

phpearse

As Hardy correctly says, county players are the least out of pocket of any group invloved in the GAA. Tyrone county players are most certainly not out of pocket and get very well treated by the county board. In fact the Tyrone county board spent less of games development in the county than they did on the county teams this year. The bill of nearly 3/4 of a million included a £200K fund for the senior football team holiday!!

No grants required in Tyrone (except maybe for the hurlers)

Onion Bag

Quote from: phpearse on December 11, 2008, 08:58:02 AM
Interesting to note form the Tyrone County Report that each Tyrone squad player will get near £10,000 each from the county in travel expenses and holiday!!!

...and yet they also need a grant.

and £200 for attending underage presentations,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Final Whistle

QuoteRe: Players finally get their Grants
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:58:02 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting to note form the Tyrone County Report that each Tyrone squad player will get near £10,000 each from the county in travel expenses and holiday!!!

...and yet they also need a grant. 

Interesting to note that not all the players will be accepting their grant as their own and are contributing an overwhelming percentage to their respective clubs!!

I know my club and a few clubs in armagh will have their finances bolstered because of this scheme and the selflessness of their playing members!!

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on December 11, 2008, 10:20:42 AM
Quote from: Hardy on December 11, 2008, 10:16:04 AM
They're the people in the GAA who are least out of pocket due to their involvement in the games.

that's irrelevent to the point.

if a player incurrs a level of expense preparing, training and playing the games, should he not be reimbursed?

Are you including club players in that as well ?

County Player

Quote from: Hardy on December 11, 2008, 10:47:04 AM
They're already reimbursed for their expenses and rightly so. These payments are "grants", paid by the government. Expenses are paid by the GAA.

That is quite incorrect

Hardy

Oh, sorry. They were originally "grants". Then they were re-named "expenses" in a piece of jiggery-pokery that would give a Fianna Fáil councillor a squint. But I'm confused as to what expenses they are, since expenses are already paid by the Co. boards. What are these extra expenses that are not being paid by the county boards and why are they not being paid and are they vouched? I hope they're legitimate documented expenses. Otherwise they'd be classified as income and the revenue would be interested. What really intrigues me is that every county player has exactly the same level of expenses for the level of attainment his team reaches. How can that be?

Actually, they're really grants, aren't they?

County Player

I can only tell you what they're called and how they had to be justified individually. they are "top up expenses" to cover things which county boards will not. for example, dietry and hydration expenses, travel to non "team training" sessions, etc. each item claimed for had to be individually submitted.

by no means am i perpetuating the myth that this isn't jiggery pokery or window dressing, just pointing out how they are actually justified.

EDIT

on the point about each player having the same level of expense - that isn't the case, just that the ceiling for levels of expenses cuts everyone off at a certain point.

Sonny Joe

County player why are you even bothering your arse engaging with Hardy. He cant see the forest for the woods. He thinks you should drive the odd 20 mile to do weights in a gym on a saturday morning or Monday night and pay for the petrol yourself. He doesnt see that the boards doesnt pay for that expense. regardless of the fact that your prepared to put more voluntary time into the gaa than anyone else he has met other than another county player for the next 12 months. But hey your in a privledged postion so put up with it.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Bensars

Quote from: County Player on December 11, 2008, 11:27:07 AM
I can only tell you what they're called and how they had to be justified individually. they are "top up expenses" to cover things which county boards will not. for example, dietry and hydration expenses, travel to non "team training" sessions, etc. each item claimed for had to be individually submitted.

by no means am i perpetuating the myth that this isn't jiggery pokery or window dressing, just pointing out how they are actually justified.

EDIT

on the point about each player having the same level of expense - that isn't the case, just that the ceiling for levels of expenses cuts everyone off at a certain point.

Yous are taking the piss, dietry and hydration expenses ??????

Away and drink a glass of water

orangeman

Do club players get expenses or would they be entitled to expenses ?

They put in a lot of time as well - a lot of voluntary time with no reward usually.

Should club players form a union as well then ?

I'm amused at the comment about dietary and hydration expenses as well.  ;) ;D

County Player

personally i think club members should get the same travel expenses. The foundation of the GAA is volunteerism and we should be proud of that. that said, i don't think any of our members should be out of pocket to keep our clubs an games going. that goes right from the phone bill allowance for the club secretary to the 30 cent a mile if a bus can't be organised for an away game.

Sonny Joe

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
Do club players get expenses or would they be entitled to expenses ?

They put in a lot of time as well - a lot of voluntary time with no reward usually.

Should club players form a union as well then ?

I'm amused at the comment about dietary and hydration expenses as well.  ;) ;D

Orangeman club players dont bring millions of pounds in to the GAA. County players do that. That is the defining diffence and if you cant distinguish the difference, well it looks like the GPA has a future.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

southoftheborder

agree with county player the hole way,

I work with a county player, during the months of jan/feb/march/april and may he is on a high protein diet, pure chicken.steak fish 3/4 times aday, now this costs an awful lot more than my paltry ham sandwich

do we begrudge these guys reimbursements of this expenses - he also pays out almost 55quid a month on vitamins!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...