Recession to continue to 2010

Started by armaghniac, December 04, 2008, 12:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Batten down the hatches folks. That's a cumulative decline of 6.6% in GNP. A lot of folks will find a big change and I don't see house prices increasing much soon, cheaper mortgages notwithstanding.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Report: Recession will continue into 2010

Davy Stockbrokers says it expects the recession to continue into 2010, with unemployment hitting a massive 12% between now and then.

In its latest economic forecast, the company says it expects GNP to shrink by 2% this year, 4.1% next year and 0.5% in 2010.

It says 2009 looks like being the worst period of the recession, with an expected rebound in export growth possibly preventing another sharp contraction in 2010.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

My mate warned me about the Recession coming way back in 2001. I laughed in his face. I wish I didn't now.
Testing Accessibility

Rois

Why, what would you have done differently back in 2001?  Just out of interest.

ziggysego

Quote from: Rois on December 04, 2008, 12:28:59 PM
Why, what would you have done differently back in 2001?  Just out of interest.

Cut back on some of the whimsly things I got over the years and put my money in a box.
Testing Accessibility

Tubberman

QuoteMy mate warned me about the Recession coming way back in 2001. I laughed in his face. I wish I didn't now.

Well it was obviously going to happen at some stage - things couldn't continue the way they were going and the govt did nothing to cool things down. They actually fanned the flames. So it was going to end abruptly, and badly.

I predict today that the recession will at some time in the future come to an end and the economy will begin to recover - you may marvel at my wisdom when it happens.  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Double Cross

Quote from: ziggysego on December 04, 2008, 12:23:32 PM
My mate warned me about the Recession coming way back in 2001. I laughed in his face. I wish I didn't now.

My mate warned me about snow in 2001, he was eventually right.

GalwayBayBoy

Sure economic commentators have been predicting a recession or at the very least a severe downturn for donkey's years. You simply can't have unfettered growth indefinitely. Inevitably there has to be a slowdown.

ziggysego

He got it down to the year and said for three years. 2008-2011.
Testing Accessibility

mouview

As George Lee said in a lecture last night, economists correctly predicted 6 out of the last 2 recessions.

Double Cross

Quote from: ziggysego on December 04, 2008, 12:33:42 PM

The title of the thread says the recession will continue to 2010, which is it?

ziggysego

Quote from: Double Cross on December 04, 2008, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on December 04, 2008, 12:33:42 PM

The title of the thread says the recession will continue to 2010, which is it?

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2008, 12:32:52 PMYou simply can't have unfettered growth indefinitely.

Most rational people understand this. Unfortunately, that seems to exclude the government, nine out of ten Irish economists, the property industry, people who kept buying more and more property the more expensive it became, etc.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hardy on December 04, 2008, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 04, 2008, 12:32:52 PMYou simply can't have unfettered growth indefinitely.

Most rational people understand this. Unfortunately, that seems to exclude the government, nine out of ten Irish economists, the property industry, people who kept buying more and more property the more expensive it became, etc.

I think it's called greed Hardy..... :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Canalman

Would be surprised to see it end that soon. Maybe the rest of the Country is doing ok but the job losses here in Dublin are staggering. Absolutely staggering.
A firm of architects for example are done to 3 partners only.......2 years ago they had a staff of 37. Not uncommon.

Gnevin

Did he say when it would happen or just it was coming?

Because snow is coming and on a long enough time line I'll be proved right.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.