The night sky

Started by Hardy, December 03, 2008, 10:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Saw it a few nights ago and thought it looked beautiful. That was even before I knew that they were.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

balladmaker

A few years ago, while sitting in a Bedouin camp in the middle of Sinai in Egypt, awaiting a taxi driver, who had just smoked the biggest joint I have ever seen, to regain consciousness....a friend said 'Would ye look at the sky!'  It was the first time I had seen the Milky Way in all its glory, an unbelievable sight! 

Fascinating stuff indeed....saw the moon and the two planets the other night, beautiful!

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Shamrock Shore

Looks like it's a clear night over most of Ireland tonight so if you want to see the International Space Station/Space Shuttle (they are docked at the moment) look due West at 19:27:36 and for best part of 3 minutes you will see it scooting across the sky towards the South.

amallon

Thanks for the heads up.  Apparently you can make out the H shape with binoculars.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Denn Forever

The Sky at night.  Longest running show on TV.

28 February 2011 Last updated at 06:42 GMT Help The BBC's The Sky At Night programme was first broadcast on 24th April 1957 - making Sir Patrick Moore the longest-running presenter of the same television show in the world.

On Sunday 6th March 2011 the programme celebrates its 700th episode, and Sir Patrick has fronted all but one of them.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

amallon

Shamrock Shore

Yes - very visible over Blackrock here in Dublin. Appeared bang on time.

amallon

Very cloudy here.  Just caught a quick glimpse of it before it went behind more could.  Got the binoculars onto it but didn't have time to focus so I just saw a light bouncing about.  When will it be back?

mannix

uranus was visible from the toilet seat last night.

Shamrock Shore

Ho ho ho Mannix. Never heard that one before  :-\

Anyhoo the ISS/Space shuttle will again be over us 4 times tonight but the first two will hardly be visible cos it will be still brightish

As long as it's clear it should be visible:

19:53:42 - coming in from W - heading SSW - visible until 19:59:30
21:29:10 - coming in from W - heading SSW - visible until 21:34:00 (this may not be too visible as it will be quite low in the sky)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 01, 2011, 09:17:01 AM
Ho ho ho Mannix. Never heard that one before  :-\

Anyhoo the ISS/Space shuttle will again be over us 4 times tonight but the first two will hardly be visible cos it will be still brightish

As long as it's clear it should be visible:

19:53:42 - coming in from W - heading SSW - visible until 19:59:30
21:29:10 - coming in from W - heading SSW - visible until 21:34:00 (this may not be too visible as it will be quite low in the sky)
Myself my 6 year old son would check out most of its flybys but was too cloudy at 19:30 last night. I think it was last year you could see the ISS followed by another smaller light which was a toolbox or something they dropped during some maintenance work.

Shamrock Shore

Tony

That was the space shuttle chasing it for docking.

muppet

Quote from: mannix on February 28, 2011, 09:41:07 PM
uranus was visible from the toilet seat last night.

It more hygienic if you keep your head out of the way.
MWWSI 2017