Season Ticket: Tyrone - Harte and Soul

Started by never kickt a ball, December 01, 2008, 11:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

What an excellent show last night.  Mickey Harte is some man.  At last, a proper insightful programme from the BBC regarding Gaelic Games.  Thought Enda Muldoon, Oisin and wee James summed up what true gaels really think about Peter.  Some head of hair of him scoring the point against Armagh  :D  Any risks that Mickey has taken have paid off (Subbing Peter and bringing SoN back into the panel)  Sign of a good manager??  Also, I thought he (SoN) also spoke very well.

Looks like the future is bright for the Tyrone men. 

Was also interesting to see him (MH) work with the Boxer Taggart.
In your Endo!

StGallsGAA

I am considering doing an Eddie "Eagle" Edwards and entering the Winter Olympics on behalf of Ireland.   I'll get Mickey to coach me skiing down the Sperrins and who knows what can be achieved?   I'm off to phone the sports council now......

T Fearon

While not denying Harte's strengths as a manager (how I wish someone of his calibre had been in charge of Kerry in this year's AI Final, this programme's attempts to make him out to be some super human that can do no wrong were laughable. Until he puts together two good consecutive championship runs he will not be considered as one of the greats.

The Gs Man

T'was a very good programme.  Enjoyed it very much.

That new Centre of excellence place with the pitches and gym etc and the big centre in the shape of a "T" for Tyrone looks the ticket.

First time I've really seen footage of Mickey Harte as a player.  He'd some beard on him.
Keep 'er lit

EC Unique

Quote from: T Fearon on December 04, 2008, 09:09:00 AM
While not denying Harte's strengths as a manager (how I wish someone of his calibre had been in charge of Kerry in this year's AI Final, this programme's attempts to make him out to be some super human that can do no wrong were laughable. Until he puts together two good consecutive championship runs he will not be considered as one of the greats.

Maybe not by you but 99% of true Gaels that really understand the Game already recognise him as one of the true Greats!

Doogie Browser

Very enjoyable show and some great anecdotes about Mickey's alternative and highly successful methods. 
Canavan could hardly take his eye off the ball during the schools game when getting interviewed, he'll never lose it!
Kudos to the BBC for the show.

illdecide

Yes as an Armagh man watching that show last night i was really impressed with Micky and the way Tyrone have their underage structures. I was well aware of Micky's talents before last nights show as i had lunch with him in Ballygawley just before the 03 final and he is one shrewd man but a gentleman.

P.S. that daughter of his had me tortured but i had to turn her away... ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

Doogie Browser

Just checked, it is not on tonight...sorry

Bensars

Enjoyable show alright.

Also noticed at the very end of the credits, the editor was shane Glynn.  Is this the same guy who replied to the e mails about a year ago, the head of sport ?

mackers

In fairness, Micky Harte is up there with Sean Boylan as the best manager our game has ever seen.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Fuzzman

Watched it with my father in law last night, a Donegal man, but a big Tyrone fan these days.

We were both taken aback by Cavanagh's comments where he said Harte told him at the start of the year that he would be his new Star FF and Sean laughed and said NO way Mickey I wanna play at MF. I can't recall the exact words but did Mickey say you'll play where your told?

Think it was big Joe who said that despite his very cool and pleasant facade Mickey has a sheer Ruthlessness about him and I thought he showed that more this year when he dropped players like Mugsy, Mulgrew and his use of Gourley & Mellon all season was very much for the good of the team and to hell with how they react to it.

I was having dinner one night in Dublin with the wife the night before the AI final in 2006 and the couple next to me where neighbours of Harte. I asked do you think he'll retire soon and they said NO WAY. He's such a driven and focussed man and he wants more AI's and thought that as soon as we won this one talk immediately switched to 2 in a row.

Its a long time to next summer but with Brian McGuigan & Stevie back in the fold, 2 McMahon's fit and now core players in the team, Sean reaching his peak age, Tommy Mcguigan coming along nicely and only Holmes and Dooher looking like ageing you'd have to be optimistic for next year.
But as we all know to well things never go as planned and teams will be back gunning for us like the did in 2004 with the fireworks in Dublin on 31st Jan being built up as a great start to the new season.

I can't wait

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: T Fearon on December 04, 2008, 09:09:00 AM

:D Fair play to you Tony, no matter what day of the week it is you always make it feel like a Friday... Where's that Crunchie!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Doogie Browser

nrico2006

Good show, liked the song at the end.

What about the wee boy in MUSA who was about 8, he looked some player!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'