Irish Swell British Army Ranks

Started by Minder, November 27, 2008, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on December 04, 2008, 04:36:00 PM
Talk about boring people to death............. :-[
Agree!
I never read eg's posts zzzzzzzzzz

Why people are engaging with the board's new found bigot is beyond me too.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Roger

I suppose it's much easier to dismiss the differing viewpoint out of hand and simply insult the poster. Nice wee Utopian bubble you got there pintsofguinness  ;)

pintsofguinness

I don't have much time for viewpoints based on either sheer incredible ignorance or bigotry, sorry.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Roger on December 05, 2008, 10:42:40 AM
Comments like to make worthy the anti-Brit nature within "Irish" culture (ie that of Irish Republicans) but this has moved from denial to justification of it.

No actually comments like that set the context of the time.  You were the one that said that you had issue with "current" Irish culture.  Well no-one is renaming is renaming counties these days.  Do you want to name counties back from the 1920's changes?

Since you have come on here you have flip-flopped on your time.  You conceded you are prejudiced (but said it is with good reason and your are happy to remain so) and no point (even matters of fact) has changed your outlook.

Then when people say the are not going to engage with you give a riposte about differing view points.

You yourself are consistently dismissive of any  "differing viewpoint", no matter how reasonably put, so what's the point.

People said you were a WUM and I am beginning to think they are right.   I actually think you are trying to goad people into a reaction so you can feel satisfied that your prejudices are correct.  A sort of on-line Willie Frazer.

/Jim.

Roger

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on December 05, 2008, 12:32:15 PM
No actually comments like that set the context of the time.  You were the one that said that you had issue with "current" Irish culture.  Well no-one is renaming is renaming counties these days.  Do you want to name counties back from the 1920's changes?
If you read the posts I was actually talking about the current inaccuracy of naming the two states. Others leapt onto ancient history which simply highlighted more recent "Irish" culture which dominates the current culture.  There was a Republic of Ireland judge either this year or last that said he didn't want to hear "Londonderry" in his court. The road signs in the Republic currently have the wrong name for Londonderry in the Republic of Ireland. This is the same cultural view that daminates and accepted as Irish that changed Offaly and Laois.

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on December 05, 2008, 12:32:15 PMSince you have come on here you have flip-flopped on your time.  You conceded you are prejudiced (but said it is with good reason and your are happy to remain so) and no point (even matters of fact) has changed your outlook.
I stated I had a jaundiced view / prejudice towards "Irish" culture generally because of the anti-British nature of a lot of Irish culture therefore missing out on the bits that are actually shared and culturally rich.  No one else has any prejudice on here but me of course, they simply deny alternative viewpoints and say Irish = Ireland = Republic of Ireland and anyone else is given personal insults.

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on December 05, 2008, 12:32:15 PMThen when people say the are not going to engage with you give a riposte about differing view points.

You yourself are consistently dismissive of any  "differing viewpoint", no matter how reasonably put, so what's the point.
Hang on a minute Jim. The only thing I've been dismissive of is the Irish language but I'd be equally dismissive of Ulster Scots, Latin, Ancient Greek or any language like that. I'm supportive of the right to learn it but I just don't want taxes disproportionately funding this hobby which is really about a Poltical issue.  Additionally I'm not dismissive of others' views but in context of this response from you I'm simply observing that the viewpoint exists whereas people seem to be denying them. You yourself stated the Republic of Ireland is not anti-Brit but justified the reason for an action that demonstrated anti-Britishness. I simply observed it, I didn't say anything about it. In the context of time, the state of the Republic is relatively new, so anything in that time is pretty relevant. 

The kind of stuff that I have been saying is what that Irish peace and reconciliation group in the Republic stated about the ROI culture and treatment of non-nationalists/non-republican ethos in Ireland. They produced a report and it infuriated the ROI government and was dismissed out of hand yet they were represented by a significant number of peace campaigners from down south. Seems to me that a strict policy of denial, dismissal and status quo is the consistent theme when it comes to any criticism of anything "Irish".

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on December 05, 2008, 12:32:15 PMPeople said you were a WUM and I am beginning to think they are right.   I actually think you are trying to goad people into a reaction so you can feel satisfied that your prejudices are correct.  A sort of on-line Willie Frazer.
Let's just leave it there then.

Rossfan

Quote from: Roger on December 05, 2008, 01:01:52 PM
road signs in the Republic currently have the wrong name for Londonderry in the Republic of Ireland.

What a silly incorrect comment.

1-there's no such place as "Londonderry" in the 26 Cos.
2- the vast majority of people who live in thst City by the Foyle which is administered by the Derry City Council call the place Derry( which is an anglicised phonetic spelling of Doire - they left out the Colmcille because Prods seem to think he was a Scottish saint called Columba).

Those who benefitted from militaristic violence to take the land off the people who had been there for about 2500 years added a London to the front of it because they were some City of London traders.
So who changed names there? ;)

I suggest Roger( if you are a real poster not a WUM) you learn a biteen of Irish History before you start tying yourself in knots here.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Roger on December 05, 2008, 01:01:52 PM
Hang on a minute Jim. The only thing I've been dismissive of is the Irish language but I'd be equally dismissive of Ulster Scots, Latin, Ancient Greek or any language like that. I'm supportive of the right to learn it but I just don't want taxes disproportionately funding this hobby which is really about a Poltical issue.   Additionally I'm not dismissive of others' views but in context of this response from you I'm simply observing that the viewpoint exists whereas people seem to be denying them. You yourself stated the Republic of Ireland is not anti-Brit but justified the reason for an action that demonstrated anti-Britishness. I simply observed it, I didn't say anything about it. In the context of time, the state of the Republic is relatively new, so anything in that time is pretty relevant. 
[/quote]
the funding of the six counties would fall into your categorisation !
presumably you feel the same way about this too (and the 'union')  :D

Roger

If there is no such place to people from the '26 Cos' because you don't like the name then that is their prerogative, but that doesn't make it correct or me a WUM for simpling observing anti-British attitude on a name change. 

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 05, 2008, 03:14:05 PM
the funding of the six counties would fall into your categorisation !
presumably you feel the same way about this too (and the 'union')  :D
And people think I'm on the wind up!  ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Roger on December 05, 2008, 03:16:46 PM
If there is no such place to people from the '26 Cos' because you don't like the name then that is their prerogative, but that doesn't make it correct or me a WUM for simpling observing anti-British attitude on a name change. 
maybe you should go meet/find some unionist/loyalists from Derry to find out that they actually call it Derry !
::)

nifan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 05, 2008, 03:22:05 PM
maybe you should go meet/find some unionist/loyalists from Derry to find out that they actually call it Derry !

Some do, some dont
some will call it either, often using Londonderry in more official conversation
Some seemingly randomly choose what to call it.

Rossfan

Roger will soon put manners on those who dont call it his way  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

Quote from: nifan on December 05, 2008, 03:37:10 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 05, 2008, 03:22:05 PM

Some do, some dont
some will call it either, often using Londonderry in more official conversation
Some seemingly randomly choose what to call it.
you know as well as I do that there is a significant amount just call it derry as you yourself have admitted to doing
conversely I dont know any Derry folk (sorry meant nationalist/catholics) that call it london Derry.

the only ones that might are the tyronies - who seem quite loyal to the queen for some unknown reason.
:D

nifan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 05, 2008, 04:14:13 PM
you know as well as I do that there is a significant amount just call it derry as you yourself have admitted to doing
conversely I dont know any Derry folk (sorry meant nationalist/catholics) that call it london Derry.

the only ones that might are the tyronies - who seem quite loyal to the queen for some unknown reason.
:D

Why tell me "you know as well as I do that there is a significant amount...." when i just said that  some do.

I have met a few catholics who use the term Londonderry, but they seem to do so when talking "officially". It would be a negligibly small number.

Ive always called it Derry for as long as I can remember, but Ive no problem with londonderry being used either.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2008, 03:05:45 PM
I suggest Roger( if you are a real poster not a WUM) you learn a biteen of Irish History before you start tying yourself in knots here.

Far too late for that Rossfan  :D
I'm just amazed that people are either bothering to engage this Roger character.
He is quite clearly on here purely to throw insults and get a reaction.

Either that or he actually beleives what he posts, which isnt very believable.
Ask me holy bollix