Broadband Providers

Started by Pangurban, November 26, 2008, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Was a very happy customer of the ISP , Pipex, but since they have been taken over by Tiscali, have had nothing but trouble. I intend changing and have requested a migration code. Could anyone recommend a good provider

Open yer eyes Man

I have been with BT for a while now.  I don't want to put the scud on myself but I haven't had any bother.

My contract was up during the Summer and I managed to haggle a few more pound of them by threatening to go somewhere else.

Square Ball

Been with NTL/Virgin for years, never had a problem with them, good speed as wel
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Minder

BT for just over two years,have not had one bit of bother.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donagh

Was with FreedomToSurf for a long time but they went down the tubes after they were bought over by Pipex. Moved then to O2. Unlimited downloads at 16meg for £10 a month (extra £5 for static IP). £7.50pm for 8 meg, unlimited downloads. Simple to set up and they throw in a wireless modem for free. Only with them a few months but has been great - torrents are flying down.

Pangurban

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Donagh i have been looking favourably a O2, good to hear your experience, will put them top of list for consideration, while i review a few others.

theskull1

Anybody able to advise if there are ISP packages out there who gaurentee decent upload rates on ADSL(say 500kb/s) with unlimited usage?

Checked to see if my exchanged offered sdsl but alas no. Could get my work to pay for it, but would need reliable upload speeds
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

armaghniac

And of course you'll all be ensuring that the ISP makes clear that you are in the Occupied Six so that you can watch RTE GAA coverage or will you just complain about RTÉ.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Stalin

Id recommend O2 as well for anyone in Belfast, not sure about their speeds in more rural areas but certainly would be the best option in and around the city. Get an album in less than a minute, film 5-10mins, it's great.
A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

maxpower

maybe not the right thread for me given all capital letters that i have no idea what they mean, ADSL eh

But nevertheless, got a phoneline in last January, for the sole purpose really of getting broadband, now with BT i pay 17.99 for the phone line (which probaly recieves 2 calls a week) and 12.99 for my broadband which i need to do some work at weekends.  The broadband is grand though it does blink on and off occassionally (DSL light flashes)

now that my years contract is up was thinking i could get a better package, whats the craic with the Sky Surf, Speak Watch package fro 17 quid, any value in that.  from a rural area so i'm sure plenty of good options not available
What happens next????

pintsofguinness

I've been lookin at 02 - what's the advantage in having a static IP?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 27, 2008, 08:09:36 PM
A static IP is usually only for people who want to host a website/email/FTP server publicly.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 27, 2008, 09:42:37 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 27, 2008, 08:09:36 PM
A static IP is usually only for people who want to host a website/email/FTP server publicly.
ta.

I've ordered 02 broadband.  Took the plunge, I'm getting with it!  Hope it's more successful than the plunge I took to freeview   ::)

Pangurban

I would like to wait and hear you get on with O2 Pints, but i have to activate my migration code within 30days or remain tied to tiscali. Will probably go with O2, but mind not made up, still researching

pintsofguinness

I'll let you know PB. 
I can't afford to be choosy as I probably won't be living in the same place for the next 12 months so was looking for someone that would allow me to move the contract if I moved house- 02 have said they will free of charge so I'm pleased with that.
As I'm with 02 mobile I get 16meg for 10 quid a month so I think it's a good price.

We'll see if they deliver a good service, hopefully so.